LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How weak are the flywheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 PM

How weak is the flexplate?

Seems mine is broken . I wont be sure till tomorrow. How often do these break? Do i need to buy a performance one?

Last edited by Projectcam94; 08-05-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM

I've never heard of it actually. Get a billet one with the removable face. I'd stay away from the Aluminum.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Banned

flywheel for what?

flexplate? it rare to see one break for no reason.....why do you think its broke?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Not 100% sure but its broken 2 starters. Motor turns for a bit then breaks them..

flexplate the one that goes between the transmission and the engine..

Last edited by Projectcam94; 08-05-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 PM

I just noticed you have an A4. That's called a flexplate, not a flywheel. lol

Just get one that is CSI or whatever approved.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM

lol thanks for clearing that up.. ill edit the post
Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 PM

There are a couple of possible factors. First, flexplates occasionally break. Usually, they develop a crack between the bolt holes at the crank flange. There is a distinctive sound to a cracked flexplate that you'll never forget.

Second, if the starter isn't correctly shimed the starter pinion teeth will mesh poorly, bind in the flexplate, fail to release, and the starter will be destroyed fairly quickly once the engine fires.

Most of the time, these two scenarios occur separately. If you've eaten two starters, it is important that you examine the flexplate, one tooth at a time to make sure that you don't have any damaged teeth that are contributing to the problem. If the flexplate is neither cracked at the hub nor damaged in the teeth, make sure that it is not bent by observing the runout of the starter ring when the engine rotates. Then, be very careful in setting the depth of the starter gear when it engages the starter ring. You may need to add shim(s) between the starter and the block in order to assure optimum alignment.

Good luck
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by cnorton
There are a couple of possible factors. First, flexplates occasionally break. Usually, they develop a crack between the bolt holes at the crank flange. There is a distinctive sound to a cracked flexplate that you'll never forget.

Second, if the starter isn't correctly shimed the starter pinion teeth will mesh poorly, bind in the flexplate, fail to release, and the starter will be destroyed fairly quickly once the engine fires.

Most of the time, these two scenarios occur separately. If you've eaten two starters, it is important that you examine the flexplate, one tooth at a time to make sure that you don't have any damaged teeth that are contributing to the problem. If the flexplate is neither cracked at the hub nor damaged in the teeth, make sure that it is not bent by observing the runout of the starter ring when the engine rotates. Then, be very careful in setting the depth of the starter gear when it engages the starter ring. You may need to add shim(s) between the starter and the block in order to assure optimum alignment.

Good luck
Ill be taking a look at it today in the afternoon after work. Whats that distinctive sound your talking about? And I didnt know the starter needed shims.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 AM

cam94,

It's hard to describe the sound accurately. Approximate the effect of having the jagged edges of two pieces of steel, the thickness of the flexplate, being snapped back and forth against one another under a severe load. Sometimes it sounds like all the bearings in the motor are about to fall out. Sometimes it sounds like a screeching pop. You MAY be able to remove the dust cover and shine a light between the flexplate and torque converter and see if there's really a cracked flexplate involved.

Starter shims for GM cars used to be available on the HELP rack at the local Autozone or other generic parts store. They slide into place by only removing one of the starter bolts, an engineering design that is uncharacteristic in its consideration for skinned knuckles and the tight quarters in that part of the underside of the car. Instructions for installing any starter correctly can be found at: http://www.tiltonracing.com/ins/98-095.pdf. While that site is owned by a high performance starter manufacturer, the dimensions and drawings on that page are applicable.

I'm not stating that your problems are unequivocally defined by either of these two problems but it seems worthwhile to identify the reason why your car has eaten two starters before you throw another one at it.

Good luck with this one. Glad I'm too far away to get dirty with it. It's getting to the point where I prefer to only work on the top of the car!

c
Old 08-06-2008, 06:24 PM

my car would break starters like no ones business when i put a new flexplate in my car.. the nose of the starters kept breaking off. i got a starter for a lt1 vette and haven't had a problem since
Old 08-06-2008, 06:35 PM

Picture of Broken Starter #2
Name:  S6001498.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  76.2 KB

********EDIT Never mind flexplate isnt broken. . I turned it all the way around and got a closer look. I dont see any cracks or anything on the flexplate************

Last edited by Projectcam94; 08-06-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 PM

So its not the flexplate. How do i get the stock starter lined up correctly if i cant see where the flexplate meets the starter when its on.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 PM

I sent you an e-mail about half-an-hour ago. It would seem that the problem you have isn't addressed by the experiences I've had. I suggest that you get more information from "red95chicken." I still think it's an alignment issue but it you can't see any indication of the nose of the starter coming in contact with the flexplate itself, anything I add will only confuse the issue. You need advice from someone who has experience with this specific kind of breakage.

Good luck,

c
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks for trying to help cnorton. I just sent red95chicken a pm about the problem.

A friend and i replaced the tranny a few months ago maybe like 6 months or a little more. Im thinking the bolts could of gotten loose. And if they are loose that would mess up the starters alignment with the flexplate

Last edited by Projectcam94; 08-06-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 PM

Found what was wrong. Engine was hydrolocked. Took off the spark plugs.. Actually 7 of them the one underneath the alternator i couldnt get to. And i was to tired too take it off. I turned the motor manually with a bar and lots of water came out of just the passenger side... Spark plugs arent rusted . Any idea of what can cause this? I dont remember driving through a puddle . Maybe cheap gas?

Quick Reply: How weak are the flywheels?