LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how much to sell my car for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 08:27 AM

how much to sell my car for?

I tried $8k, and then I tried $7500 and $7300. Highest bid on ebay was $5200 What should I ask? HERe's the rundown:

1994 Camaro Z28 hard top. Polo Green
Just rebuilt A4 trans with Transgo shift kit and corvette servo, B&M Trick shift fluid is the only thing used since rebuild.
Yank 2400 converter, 5000 miles in a new trans, flushed, and then 100 miles in mine.
Energy suspension trans mount.
Fresh brakes.
TWO sets of wheels and tires: Pro stars with skinnies up front and ET streets in the back, and a set of salad shooters with goodyear GSC tires.
No airbags.
No heat or AC. Lots of room in the engine compartment now!
99 Pewter gray interior
3.73 gears swimming in Mobil 1 synthetic lube
BMR tubular lower control arms.
Metco driveshaft loop
high speed balanced drive shaft with new U joints
motor has had top half rebuilt 28k miles ago including opti
Mobil 1 synthetic oil
Trick flow polished aluminum elbow
Lingenfelter CAI with K&N
Jet Hot long tubes with sterling finish
True duals with dynomax bullets
GMPP 1.6 roller rockers
MSD 6AL
MSD window switch
Adjustable low RPM pill (for the window switch)
Several pills (fits BOTH ignition and window switch)
MSD blaster coil
SLP Line lock
Compucar 90-150hp adjustable wet nitrous kit.
Bag full of jets to fine tune for more or less power
Bottle opening solenoid, purge kit
WOT switch
Fuel pressure safety switch
IHRA/NHRA legal blow done tube with safety valve
bottle pressure gauge
Custom switch/LED panel
Jas racing seat with mounting rails and slider kit included
Brand new B&M Ratcheting megashifter still in box
brand new APC steering wheel
Weighs only 3200 with full interior and half a tank of gas!
Has run 11.7 @ 119mph with 1.702 60'
Will run 11.5 easily with more tuning (I'll include the connection cable for tuning too)
Old 08-09-2003, 08:47 AM

My brother paid $3500 for his '94, and that had a $4000 paint job(black with painted silver rally stripes).

Your car has been driven hard, and many people are reluctant to buy a car that has had nitrous run through it. Your car will be worth what you are asking...but only to the right buyer. Some one who is very speed oriented will love your car. According to kelly blue book, a '94 Z28 in good condition and some options is only worth $5110, so your fighting against that too.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Josh-'97 WS6
My brother paid $3500 for his '94, and that had a $4000 paint job(black with painted silver rally stripes).

Your car has been driven hard, and many people are reluctant to buy a car that has had nitrous run through it. Your car will be worth what you are asking...but only to the right buyer. Some one who is very speed oriented will love your car. According to kelly blue book, a '94 Z28 in good condition and some options is only worth $5110, so your fighting against that too.
That's fine, I'd take some mods off and sell at blue book. Hell without the race wheels/tires and nitrous it could go for that. The car has only had ONE bottle through. It aint been run that hard
Old 08-09-2003, 09:36 AM

The headers and true duals is what kills people
come on now woodward is comming up I need 12's
Old 08-09-2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by TrouserSnake
The headers and true duals is what kills people
come on now woodward is comming up I need 12's
buy the nitrous and wheels/tires along with the headers and duals and we can work it out. I'm trying to raise some cash for the vette, remember?
Old 08-09-2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Timberwolf
That's fine, I'd take some mods off and sell at blue book. Hell without the race wheels/tires and nitrous it could go for that. The car has only had ONE bottle through. It aint been run that hard
even that being said anytime you run nos, and your car not being stock it scares alot of people, the price you got on ebay is all your going to get, you start taking things out and its only going to be harder to sell
Old 08-09-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by chasmanz28
even that being said anytime you run nos, and your car not being stock it scares alot of people, the price you got on ebay is all your going to get, you start taking things out and its only going to be harder to sell
I just find it hard to believe. The car couldn't be duplicated for under 9 grand. And with the big nitrous craze going on these days due to the movies, it would seem like that should only help in sales...at least somewhat. I see cars nearly stock going for $4500 to $5000 grand all the time on here. Forget about the nitrous, figure in all the rest of the mods...why am I only gonna get stock prices for a modded car?
Old 08-09-2003, 09:48 AM

I just find it hard to believe. The car couldn't be duplicated for under 9 grand. And with the big nitrous craze going on these days due to the movies, it would seem like that should only help in sales...at least somewhat. I see cars nearly stock going for $4500 to $5000 grand all the time on here. Forget about the nitrous, figure in all the rest of the mods...why am I only gonna get stock prices for a modded car?
you must realize one thing, as im sure most f-body guys do, once you start to mod your car, your never going to get not even close to the money you put into your car, thats why ill never sell my cars because i know ill lose my shirt, ide have a easier time selling my 01 ss because it mostly stock, than my 96z
Old 08-09-2003, 09:50 AM

Forget about the nitrous, figure in all the rest of the mods...why am I only gonna get stock prices for a modded car?
Because MOST Americans DON'T want a modded car!!! When you buy a car stock...you KNOW it hasn't been hacked. You will pretty much never get back the $$$ you put into high-po mods. Especially drag race only items.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Josh-'97 WS6
Because MOST Americans DON'T want a modded car!!! When you buy a car stock...you KNOW it hasn't been hacked. You will pretty much never get back the $$$ you put into high-po mods. Especially drag race only items.
If I wanted all my money back I'd ask for 9 or 10 grand plus what I feel my labor is worth. but I think asking for 50% of my mods, and ZERO of my labor should be fair? I'm gonna throw it back up at 6500 I guess
Old 08-09-2003, 09:59 AM

If I wanted all my money back I'd ask for 9 or 10 grand plus what I feel my labor is worth. but I think asking for 50% of my mods, and ZERO of my labor should be fair? I'm gonna throw it back up at 6500 I guess
That's the great thing about America, you can do anything you want, even if no one else agrees with you.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:20 AM

I think maybe in your ebay title you should put 11 second camaro. Alot of people might not be looking at it.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:01 PM

No Heat or AC.
You would be suprised how many people don,t want a car with no AC let alone no heat.
In my opinion the only modded cars I have seen go for big cash is the all out best of everything spent 50 grand on it cars and they only go for 25.
If you want 7 grand out of it your going to have to be willing to wait for the right buyer which could take 6 months to a year.
If your looking for a car and have patience then you will always end up finding a nice modded car that someone is desperate to sell and you get a screaming deal.
You need the cash now to take advantage of the vette deal, everyone knows this so they are willing to wait and see how low you will go, if you won,t go low enough for em they can always wait and another screaming deal will come along eventually.
Sorry, thats just the way it works.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:04 PM

Pics. Need more Pics.
Photos really help a sale on ebay.

People want to know how the interior looks, what condition the seats and carpet are in, ect. They want to know if there are any dents, dings, scratches,... and WHERE. They want to know how many rock chips are on the front end and behind the rear wheels.

Spend the afternoon detailing it, and throw it back on there with 15 good pics and see what happens.

As a buyer, the no heat/AC/Airbags thing would turn me off too.
Most people will hear that and think "gutted for track use" and assume it's had the hell beat out of it a quarter mile at a time.

Need more focus on how well it's been maintained, how good it looks for the year/miles, ect. With no detailed photo's and very little description regarding condition... buyers will usually get this ugly mental image of an engine bay with wires strewn everywhere, an interior half assed thrown back together, and a rattle trap from everything being taken apart. If you don't tell them otherwise, they think of paint scratched and chipped up, wheel wells with rubber hanging from them, and pricey weather stripping cracked and broken.

Mileage my scare many away as well. 135K plus 150 shot = probably going to have to think about building a motor soon.

Probably the biggest thing working against you on this is high miles and a sluggish economy. Loan value on your car would be disgustingly low due to miles, making it difficult for many buyers to secure funds. Couple that with the fact that lots of folks selling their toys right now, and you wind up with some rather disappointing offers.

Clean it up. Take some close up pics from every angle, inside and out. Write a better, more complete description regarding condition, and relist it.

Best of luck.