LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How much to install catback?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 04:48 PM

How much to install catback?

Again, newbie here. There's no way I can install my new catback by myself. How much will a muffler shop charge, anybody have experience with this? Also, looking to replace spark plugs. Which plugs should I go for and/or where can I get them online? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2004, 04:58 PM

Re: How much to install catback?

I was charged $50 for them to put my y-pipe and cat-back on (welded).
Old 10-07-2004, 05:01 PM

ngk tr-55, any auto parts store should have them.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:01 PM

First off, welcome aboard. Second, why cant you install your cat back your self? All you need is two jack stands, a jack, and simple tools. It was a big waste of 40 bucks for me.. That was what they charged for the install, but i helped so it might be a little more. My dad slapped a GMMG cat back on his 02 ws6 last weekend. Took about three hours, and he was taking his sweet time. On the plugs...if your not wanting to install a cat back you probably wont want to change plugs either unless youve got headers. They are hard to see, and a PITA to change. I think i ordered mine off line from www.thunderracing.com but im sure there is a supporting vendor that sells them.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:05 PM

Where do you live? There may be someone on here that could help you install it for no charge. If you lived by me I would offeryou my garage and help you out with it. Also, www.thunderracing.com does sell the plugs and they are a supporting vendor.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:34 PM

there is no reason why you can't change out your catback yourself, all you need is something to cut off the old pipes(autoparts stores carry a manual chain cutter works well) and a pair of ramps to back your car onto. It took my about 3 hours to do my catback and most that time was spent getting the old system off cause I thought I could to it with a hacksaw!!!

Most new catbacks just come with exhaust clamps so you can do the whole thing without a single weld!!! The catback to the cat connection is a slip-fit so it just connects together with two bolts. Believe me when I say that installing a catback on these cars is easy!

Plus its fun

Edit: as far as plugs, most people will recommend NGK TR55's or the AC Delco platinums. The Delcos are what came stock on these cars and are supposed to last 100k miles, whereas the NGK's wouldn't last nearly as long. If you do a search on plugs you will find that this topic is HEAVILY discussed on this board, should be some info for you there.

These guys run a really good site for f-body stuff but they only carry NGK's
here.

Also, both plugs mentioned are available at most local auto parts stores.

Last edited by ScrmngChckn95; 10-07-2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:47 PM

installing a catback exhaust is wayyyyyyyy easier than replacing spark plugs.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:50 AM

Thanks everybody. I live in a DC suburb of VA. If anybody knows anybody in the greatest DC Metropololitan area that may want to throw that catback on for perhaps some cheaper than a muffler shop, by all means, please let me know!
Old 10-08-2004, 08:01 AM
WOT

NGK TR55 #3951

Just get the plugs at your local napa or napaonline. Your local napa store can get them for about $1.80 each (vs 2.25 before shipping at an online vendor) and you won't pay shipping-even if they have to be ordered.

All of the online vendors are overpriced as far as plugs go.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ScrmngChckn95
there is no reason why you can't change out your catback yourself, all you need is something to cut off the old pipes(autoparts stores carry a manual chain cutter works well) and a pair of ramps to back your car onto. It took my about 3 hours to do my catback and most that time was spent getting the old system off cause I thought I could to it with a hacksaw!!!
Hehe. I removed my catback with a hacksaw.... and I'm a girl!!

I wouldn't do it again though, nor would I reccomend it. It took like three hours. It's definetly doable though, you just have to make cross-cuts.

Oh and to the original poster: if you do remove the old exhaust system yourself with some sort of cutting tool, make sure it doesn't fall on you! It didn't happen to me, but I did come close, haha.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:03 AM

i don't have the tools to do this but i want to learn how to do it...

i'm gonna have the stuff clamped for right now. i don't have jack stands or jacks....
Old 02-12-2005, 08:36 AM

I'm glad I don't have mine welded. If you weld them, if you ever need to take it off again (such as doing headers) you'll have to hack up your new catback and pay to have it rewelded.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:11 AM

that is exactly why i'm not welding it until i get headers and a y pipe!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:30 PM

what is a good cutting device other than a hacksaw?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:33 PM

Sawzall is the was to go. If you can fit it in there it goes through there no sweat. I used that and some dremel cutoff wheels (like 20 of them) for one cut where I couldn't fit the sawzall.

Quick Reply: How much to install catback?