LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How long for engine rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:37 PM

How long for engine rebuild?

how long does it take to build an LT1 from a bare block? also how long does it take to install it? thanks for the help!
Old 07-03-2004, 11:42 PM

It usually takes me a few hours to assemble a motor from a bare block to a complete engine. I'm kinda **** about checking and rechecking clearances and making sure everything is perfectly clean though. As far as installing the motor, figure on an afternoon or two so you can take your time and make sure everything is hooked up correctly.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Banned

Just to assemble it after all clearance checking,machine work,ect.With ALL parts clean and ready it will take between 8-10 hrs (I am slow)But fast don't last all the time.Should take about the same time to install and hook up.I have done one or two also.

As to the above post more time should be spent on assembly than install.You won't have as much trouble changing a mistake concerning install as you will maybe having to pull it back out for something overlooked on assembly.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 07-03-2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:55 PM

10hrs to build? and 10 to install? i'm havin my mechanic do it and he's really particular. do you guys have an idea on how i should break my baby in so i can get a long life outta her? thank you
Old 07-04-2004, 12:16 AM
Banned

Yes.10&10.It takes different individuals different times.10hrs is with all parts READY for assy.I am a guy who pays a lot of attention to detail and ain't had one come appart in say 25yr's
It generally takes me a week or more to mock one up and check and correct clearances,if it dont have to go back to the machine shop to correct any mistakes.Brg clearances,ring gap,all sizes measured and on paper,and such.I like to be able to go back and reference a size if needed.For me it is a labor of love,and I turn it into a project to make sure it's RIGHT the first time.To expensive to do it again,especially with a customers engine and the redo is coming out of my pocket,either money wise or time wise.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:42 AM

As long as you check and recheck and recheck everything again you shouldn't have any problems with assembling the motor. I usually check everything at least three times and while I haven't been building motors for 25 years I've never had one come apart yet either. The only reason I said it would take longer to install the LT1 than build it was because I assumed it was being installed into a 4th gen car which is a major pain in the butt to do because of the tight workspace. No insult meant to you 1racerdude.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:53 AM
Banned

None taken. I have found a way to put an LT-1 in through the top(like I have done for years)that makes it easy.With more experementing I will be able to do the tranny with it.I can do the tranny now with a "hooker or leave the tranny in the car",but if you are using a different than LT-1 intake your SOL.The new way for me is hook to the exhaust bolts and rig the 4 chains so they clear the cowl and hold the engine at the right angle.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:48 AM

3 months...
2 weeks figuring out whats wrong with the engine. Pulling intake check stuff, checking oil reading this website, picking up diagnostic tools, compression testers et.

2 weeks dropping and rolling the engine out, waiting on friends to come over with Large jacks, figuring out how to drop an engine without a engine lift, getting a few friends together to pick up the engine and put it in teh back of the car.

1 month of letting the machine shop put it together, running around finding deals on the cheapest good parts, them waiting on there vendor for parts, cleaning up the heads, and redoing a valve job, having my friend fully port a set of partially ported heads, check everything, port match the intake, order more parts because some are broken.

and 1 month of putting everything back together right, checking clearances around the windage tray, waiting on longer studs cuz windage tray doesnt clear, waiting on clutch alignment tools and heads to get back, picking up bolts that seem to have disappeared in the engine removal, getting some friends to lift the engine into the craddle, running around getting the oil pick up welded, waiting on new motor mounts since the wrong ones were shipped....

So yeah... might take longer than yuh think.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:58 AM
Banned

AAAAAAMEN.Murphy's law -----
Old 07-04-2004, 12:19 PM

i just don't understand how it takes 10 hours to put an engine in a 4 gen car? i've never done this before so thats why my mechanic is doin the work. he took out the motor from the top and i'm assuming he's going to put it back in the top also. thanks for the help. any ideas on the break in? thanks
Old 07-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Banned

EVER done one??? A few brews along the way an there you have it.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:07 PM

yeah i'm not so sure some brews would help me
Old 07-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Banned

Sure it would????Just got to do one or be around one being installed to see.There is a lot to line up and hook up. If you start on one at daylight--it will be dark before test driven.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:13 PM

i just wish i had the knowledge and the space to pull my motor and rebuild it. if something like this happens to me again i'm gonna do it myself to save the big bucks i'm spending!
Old 07-04-2004, 01:19 PM

Oh, and don't forget that things don't always go right even when you do everything your supposed to. Such as don't overlook (like I did) that you'll have to mod the valve covers to use large trunion rockers. Also, If you end up needing something like +1 bearings, that takes time to get as well (unless you have a VERY good source!). Or how about when your reassembling the heads, and the rocker stud boss on the LAST DAMN ROCKER cracks for no good reason (didn't overtighten it) and you have to pull the head back off, have it tigged/tapped/heli-coiled, and then check it over again to make sure it's still "true". As the saying goes, S**T happens! You just deal and move on..

As to the install. It takes me around 2 to three hours to get one back in the car and (for the most part) buttoned up. But I do it with a lift from the bottom - MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than from the top, done it both ways and I will never go from the top again!

Dave C.

Quick Reply: How long for engine rebuild?