LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to install Comp Cams OEM Replacement Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:50 AM

How to install Comp Cams OEM Replacement Lifters

Some background:
I'm 18, and the most engine work I've done on a car is Valve cover gaskets on my '73 T-bird, and the Throttle Body bypass on the '94 Z28. After searching around I've seen that it doesn't seem like these are too hard to install, and i would like to give it a shot. Even if I mess up, the shop is less than a block away heh. However, if it's too complicated or I run the risk of permanently damaging my motor, then I'll let the shop do it. I checked shoe box's site and I couldn't find the How To, maybe I didn't look hard enough.

So Is it something that I could do? Or should I leave it to the professionals?
Old 07-02-2004, 03:02 AM

TTT before I sleep.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:45 AM

Just follow the intake manifold removal and install portions of my cam swap guides. All that stuff has to come off to do a cam, so it's all in there.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:03 AM
Banned

The reason you are changing lifters?? And no I do not think you need to be changing lifters at your level of experience, you need to go hang around the shop up the street for a good while before you tackle something like this. This is a motor destroying proposition if a few things are overlooked, and I do not feel you have the knowledge to adjust valves correctly. If you do try it be careful.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-02-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:48 AM

I'm changing the lifters because they're starting to tick, and its bugging me. Also, my oil pressure dropped about 1-2 PSI when the ticking started, so I figure I should take care of the problem. It isn't super loud, and I still get decent oil pressure, but I want to take care of it now. I have been hanging around that shop for a while, but I don't want to get in their way. Also, if I don't have to remove the heads (and it looks like I don't) then this would be a good learning experience. I'm not dumb enough to break anything, when I did the TB bypass i checked everything 8 times just to make sure I didn't do anything wrong, and I'd do the same thing now.

I've read about valve lash, and I know that the Comp Cams OEM replacements aren't nearly as sensitive as the Comp R's, so I think I can handle it. However, I am going to check with the shop to see what would be involved, and how much it would cost in labor to take care of this. If its within my range, then I'll have them do it, and ask them if I can watch. I really want to learn more about my engine, and how it works and how to fix it. I never got to build an engine with anyone or work on cars when I was younger but I've always loved them. One way or another I want to learn how to do this. That's why I asked for the How to. I do appreciate your concern, and it is what i asked for in my initial post. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:42 AM

Make sure you have all the required tools and a lot of patience to do it and dive in. An extra set of hands might be very useful. I’ve changed the top end of my motor with almost no mechanical experience 5 years back, just the right tools and the experience/guidance of the guys in the camaroz28 tribe.