LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How is ground clearance with Flowmaster 1-chambers (true duals)? Anyone have it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Question How is ground clearance with Flowmaster 1-chambers (true duals)? Anyone have it?

I'm currently in the process of trying to decide how I'm going to do my true dual set-up (MAC's to 2.5" X or H-pipe) that Speed Inc is going to build me and would really like to do the Flowmaster 1-chamber mufflers dumped at the axle...I love the Flowmaster tone and do NOT want Dynomax Bullets (they sound to "racey" to me)! I also don't mind a LOUD car with a lot of interior resonance, so I'm not worried about drone or rattling...

But how would ground clearance with them be on a stock height ride '95 Z28? Keep in mind, I will never lower this car as it is a daily-driver...

If anyone has this exact set-up, please let me know your thoughts, experiences, or share any pics of it if you have them...

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-04-2005, 09:34 AM

Re: How is ground clearance with Flowmaster 1-chambers (true duals)? Anyone have it?

Ttt
Old 06-04-2005, 09:39 AM

Re: How is ground clearance with Flowmaster 1-chambers (true duals)? Anyone have it?

I've seen the 1 chambers clearing a 12oz coke can by a hair before. It was on ls1tech and I think the pic is also on www.ls1sounds.com.

Jason
Old 06-04-2005, 11:09 AM

I don't have those mufflers. But the ones that I have are 4" diameter. My car is stock ride height also. When I'm by myself (220lbs) it's ok . . . with a passenger of equal weight it will sometimes scrape where the clamp attaches to the front of the muffler . . . depends on the size of the swell of the road, and how fast you are going . As long as you are somewhat careful, you should be ok.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:16 AM

i've got 3" duals with an x-pipe (summit universal kit) and Flowtech Afterburner mufflers. they sound amazing, only cost $40 a piece and are 4inches thick (same as bullets) and are reversible for fitment
right now, the exhaust is clamped with u-bolts so ground clearance is not that great (good but not great) but once its welded, i will pick up another 1" too 1.5"
i can get a coke can under my mufflers and it dumps before the axle

for some reason, i cant link directly too the page for the mufflers on summits website....

i made my duals and put it together myself for about $200
the fit was surprisingly awesome!!

Last edited by simple; 06-04-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:53 PM

I had an x pipe setup (3 in.) with the one chamber flows on it and it sounded MEAN! My ground clearance SUCKED!!! It was all welded and tucked as far as it could get and I would scrape on damn near any bump in the road, and FORGETabout speed bumps!! I could barely make it in to my driveway. I'm sure if you found someone at an exhaust shop that actually wanted to spend some time and make it as high as possible, you would be a little better off.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by dover179
I had an x pipe setup (3 in.) with the one chamber flows on it and it sounded MEAN! My ground clearance SUCKED!!! It was all welded and tucked as far as it could get and I would scrape on damn near any bump in the road, and FORGETabout speed bumps!! I could barely make it in to my driveway. I'm sure if you found someone at an exhaust shop that actually wanted to spend some time and make it as high as possible, you would be a little better off.
Hmmm...That is not quite what I wanted to hear. Was your set-up dumped before the axle? Your car wasn't lowered, correct? Do you think the clearance would be much better with a 2.5" set-up instead of the 3"? I only want to go with 2.5" if that helps any...

BTW, Speed Inc would be making and installing the entire system (they've already done tons of them). Although Larry (co-owner of that place) has already expressed his concern to me about clearance problems from the Flowmasters. All I know is I don't want bullets and would really prefer the Flows!

Thanks guys,

Mike
Old 06-05-2005, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Hmmm...That is not quite what I wanted to hear. Was your set-up dumped before the axle? Your car wasn't lowered, correct? Do you think the clearance would be much better with a 2.5" set-up instead of the 3"? I only want to go with 2.5" if that helps any...

BTW, Speed Inc would be making and installing the entire system (they've already done tons of them). Although Larry (co-owner of that place) has already expressed his concern to me about clearance problems from the Flowmasters. All I know is I don't want bullets and would really prefer the Flows!

Thanks guys,

Mike
Ya, mine was dumped before the axle. Stock height. The pipes weren't the problem, it was the mufflers. The bullets are the same height(just a hair over 4 in.) but the flowmasters are so wide that you can't tuck them up as much as the bullets. It will work, but it hangs really low. You may not scrape on evrything, but you WILL scrape, be ready for that. Something you might consider are the round chambered mufflers from summit or sweet thunder. From what I hear, those sound better than the bullets and you don't have the clearance issues like with the Flows.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by dover179
Something you might consider are the round chambered mufflers from summit or sweet thunder. From what I hear, those sound better than the bullets and you don't have the clearance issues like with the Flows.
Yes or you could go with Flo Pro Twisters. These are identical to Bullets in shape and size, but are a little quieter than Bullets, mainly on the inside. They're very deep and definitely scream at WOT.

Jason
Old 06-09-2005, 11:48 PM

On the flowmaster 1 chamber, which one on this page: http://besttop.ru/cat12990391/page-27.html are you guys talking about?

If it is the first one, wouldn't that fit in the I pipe without any clearance issues? I need to double check and look under my car, but that item looks small enough to fit down there.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

You will have... OK clearance depending on where you put them... those things are tiny. I bolted a set up to my LT's and was very...no wait extremely dissapointed in the sound if them. THere was no flowmaster rumble tone...and inside the are it was just annoyingly loud, and not a good loud. It was like the drone of a civic loud. It also was quiet... for some reason. The car didn't sound aggressive at all. I just don't get why LT-1 are so picky on mufflers. I still can't believe they sounded so bad... o-well some may like it.