LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 12:09 AM

Re: How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods

I hate mustang guys, but I do have to say the 03'-04's are stupid fast with minor bolt ons. If you want to compete with a fast 04-04 IMO it's gonna take H/C and a bottle unless your car is just ridicouls. It's freakin expensive and hard to get 500rwhp out of an LT1 without spray, and you are going to need 500+rwhp to run with some of the modded cobras out there, not to mention tranny/rearend/suspension work. Lord knows if I could afford it I'd own one. There's a 03' cobra here in town that went 7.18 at over 100mph on drag radials. Thats just sick, sick I tell ya'
Old 12-20-2004, 06:43 AM

224/230 here with stock heads
Old 12-20-2004, 09:16 AM

Not to be the naysayer here, but there is no way in hell you're going to be even close to one with what you have - a h/c package alone, within emission restraints, won't even be enough. My sister could row one of those to a mid 12 with no problem - they are simply power-makin' machines. A great driver can get a near-stock one into the 11's. A healthy nitrous shot on top of your mods will make you competitive, and that same shot on a killer AI h/c package will put you in front without doubt. Those Cobra's don't really ET well without a stellar driver, but their trap speed is killer and from a roll they are brutal.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:33 AM

Recipe for mustang *** kicking:

1) 12 bolt with sticky tires
2) Forged bottom end (355 or 383)
3) LE heads
4) PTK turbo kit (80+ series turbo)
5) turbo cam
6) race gas
7) lots of boost
8) and a prayer that your T56 will live

Or modify the above with:
Ported AFR 210s
MONSTER cam
250-300 shot DP nitrous system

ORRR:
Install a heaven-forsaken turbocharged 540" BBC

Either of these should do the trick for a LOOOOOOONG time. And maybe a tad bit more

Hey, you asked haha
Old 12-20-2004, 09:37 AM

not to steal the mustangs thunder, but it is going to be fast when comes with a supercharger from the factory... but anywhere you go, you'll find a good portion of any sports cars to be stock, and a lot of times some punk driving it. I'm sure when he asked about beating cobras, he probably meant stock or close to stock trim. Usually bolt on camaros don't go hunting 11,10,9, or 7.88 second cars. at least the ones with common sense. lol at one time, a guy around here had an 03 cobra with pulley, exhaust, and some other small things, running 11.9. he had the license plate "UNBTBLE". needless to say he got beat a lot and sold the car. but even if you consider that 11.9 time, a lot of stock weight lt1's with cam only running mid 12's on motor. if theory holds true, 50 shot of spray should put you door to door with that mustang you're after. there are way too many ways to look at it but I'm sure he's just looking for some bolt ons to beat the stock ones.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:41 AM

not to mention, the guy who posted this lives in indiana, as i do. We don't see our portion of 500+ rwhp 03-04 cobras much, here in corn land.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:40 AM

All I know is that an '03 wanted to be put out by the 95 Formula A4 becasue he had a 3.73 gear, mac shorty headers, flowmaster cat-back, cutout, trickflow elbow, vigilante 2800, shift kit and a cooler, and un underdrive crank pulley with a K&N intake....Figure that out...and that was on the BFG drag radial....The car like that went a best of 13.15, and he wanted land from us....redicoulous, especially since he had exhaust and a gear....That made him a high 12 sec. car right there....The problem is they all think LT1's fly from the factory, because they were mopping the new mustangs at the time. Figures...

Just some insight to the street racing in the chicago area.

Chris
Old 12-20-2004, 11:19 AM

You don't have to spend a lot of money to beat one.
All you need is a cam and nitrous. I ran a 11.77 in AZ which is about a 11.50 in the mid west
I haven't seen any bone stock ones in AZ run better than a 13.0 @ 110.5 in street tires.
You could find a cheap hot cam, a used nitrous kit and get a GOOD TUNE
and probably put it on him for less than $1000
Old 12-20-2004, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I hate mustang guys, but I do have to say the 03'-04's are stupid fast with minor bolt ons. If you want to compete with a fast 04-04 IMO it's gonna take H/C and a bottle unless your car is just ridicouls. It's freakin expensive and hard to get 500rwhp out of an LT1 without spray, and you are going to need 500+rwhp to run with some of the modded cobras out there, not to mention tranny/rearend/suspension work. Lord knows if I could afford it I'd own one. There's a 03' cobra here in town that went 7.18 at over 100mph on drag radials. Thats just sick, sick I tell ya'
Which one is this? I see several running around town, but the only one I see that's modded is a green convertible with rollbar that's extremely loud (almost sounds exotic and not much of a muscle car tone) and driven by a younger guy. The license plate is also has IU on it too.

Jason
Old 12-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

THis post was pretty hilarious...

I"ll be honest with you...

You don't have the mods to hang with a Cobra right now.....

And always remember... if a guy that owns an 03+ Cobra is "willing" to race you...he's probably not stock. There's two types of people that buy cobras... Guys that buy them for midlife crisis reasons... and Guys that buy them... to wipe the smiles off peoples faces.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:43 PM

"Today 08:41 AM
blackztpi not to mention, the guy who posted this lives in indiana, as i do. We don't see our portion of 500+ rwhp 03-04 cobras much, here in corn land. "

Actually I live in Denver, Colorado. I don't see many around at all, but it is winter.

"Heatmaker THis post was pretty hilarious...

I"ll be honest with you...

You don't have the mods to hang with a Cobra right now....."

I know that, that's why I asked. I just wanted to hang with or beat a stock one. To see what everyone else has done to compete with them. For all the experience of board members with these cars.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Jason
Old 12-20-2004, 11:06 PM

The irs rear sucks on cobras with minor bolt ons and 9" rear I heard of em in the elevens. I guess the idependent rear is a weakness. MY suggestion for beating one is you pick the place and have your guy do the start and cheat him. YOu dont need to do nothing for that.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by TCAL95Z
You don't have to spend a lot of money to beat one.
All you need is a cam and nitrous. I ran a 11.77 in AZ which is about a 11.50 in the mid west
I haven't seen any bone stock ones in AZ run better than a 13.0 @ 110.5 in street tires.
You could find a cheap hot cam, a used nitrous kit and get a GOOD TUNE
and probably put it on him for less than $1000
I have seen stock cobra's run 12's w/ease I have seen guys run high 13's in them " not the cars fault ". 04's run better then 03's ." 2mph dif on average"
The driver has alot to do with it though . I outran more then one cobra with my TA when I only had a lid and a catback , on street tires . I was running 13.0's @109w/2.2 60's " not that my car was even faster" . I was having A HELL of a time outrunning these cars . My car being as fast as it was helped but It was more of the fact that I was a capable driver and the cobra Guys where not . I was running pretty close to some stock ones . But lightly modded one took me like I wasnt moving . "11.8"
You can do some bolt ons and run with a stocker in the quarter . But from a roll it wouldnt even be a race . Modded , forget it! .
If you want to even the score , go to www.procharger.com Your Forced induction vs His .
W/e you decide to do , Good luck and have fun . Be safe .
Old 12-21-2004, 05:42 PM

The kicker is the phrase "building on my mods". This is exactly what sucks you in to spending a TON of money in these things. It never ends. Just when you put a monster engine and drivetrain in it and run something crazy like 9s or 8s, you'll find something else to do and spend more money in the damn car. It's an addiction that's already cost me almost 5 grans in mods and fixes... and i haven't even broken into the engine yet!!! First you'll aim to beat cobras... then vipers.... then lambos... then PRO 5.0 cars... then heaven knows what.

You could easily spend 20 grand or more in a car before you even realize it.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Caddie
The kicker is the phrase "building on my mods". This is exactly what sucks you in to spending a TON of money in these things. It never ends. Just when you put a monster engine and drivetrain in it and run something crazy like 9s or 8s, you'll find something else to do and spend more money in the damn car. It's an addiction that's already cost me almost 5 grans in mods and fixes... and i haven't even broken into the engine yet!!! First you'll aim to beat cobras... then vipers.... then lambos... then PRO 5.0 cars... then heaven knows what.

You could easily spend 20 grand or more in a car before you even realize it.
LOL..modding is almost like crack!!!!

Quick Reply: How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods