LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 04:04 AM

Talking How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods

Hey there!

This is what I got. My question is what to do to beat or at least hang with WHILE staying emissions legal.

1993 Z28 M6

4.10:1's
Hurst shifter
K&N FIPK
SLP 1 3\4" headers
SLP y-pipe
SLP Loudmouth
Hypercrap chip
Weight reduction
17 x 9.5 Zo6 rims

BMR STB, LCA's, relocation brackets, panhard,
Poly torque arm and tranny mount
Eibach 1.5" lowering springs

That's what I got, what will I need?

Thanks,

Jason

PS -- I know they have 390 hp at the fly, but their times don't seem to match that horse. I would like to be able to do it on the street and not necessarily the strip.

Old 12-19-2004, 04:53 AM

Re: How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods

street racin is bad shame on you
anyway you might think about a nice shot of N20. Still keep you smog legal and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:29 AM

Nitrous or a heads/cam package.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:44 AM

WOW....those 4.10's in a 93....the thing should be a stump puller!!! With that in mind and with some sticky tires I think you would hang right now. I already give you the win in the 1/8th ( if you can drive ). But heads and cam would give you the top end so they couldn 't chase you down, Don't forget a good tune...get rid of thr Hypercrap. I have only been to the track once....time below was the best from that day. I gotta believe I'm faster cause I 've taken down two different 04 Cobra's this past Summer. One couldn't drive and the other I took out of the hole and stayed even the entire race....on the street of coarse,,
Old 12-19-2004, 09:45 AM

you could beat one on basic bolt ons. you need to run about 13.0 to run with one. they are supposed to run low 13's stock, but they trap about what a mid-high 12 second car does on some sticky tires. so i wouldn't go trying anything from a roll unless you could run high 12's. From what i've seen on a 6 speed car(at stock weight), it takes your basic mods, plus long tube headers, 1.6rr's, a good tune, and some decent tires to run 12.8-13.0. given a good driver of course. lowering your car certainly doesn't help off the line traction. from what i've seen, you wont hook at all with a lowered car unless you have an adjustible panhard rod and of course the suspension mods you already have. if you want to go a step further...get a cam. guy i know runs 12.5's consistanly (best of 12.39@108) on a hotcam alone. stock heads. this is with edelbrock shorty headers, but pretty much all the other bolt ons from 52mm tb to suspension. well, you have a world of options. if i were you, i'd just try and use all the best bolt ons to max out your stock motor. of course in times of desperation and defeat, you can always let them know that you've got a stock motor and their pride seems to drop a bit. around here, the mustang guys don't like it when their super fast mustangs are beat or competed with. especially with bolt on f-bodies.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:20 AM

Traction, perfect shifting, and a little nitrous should let you say bye bye.

Ryan
Old 12-19-2004, 10:26 AM

Other thing to keep in mind is most of the 03-04 Cobras you run into are NOT stock. With just exhaust, a pulley, and a cold air, these things REALLY wake up. Anyone that bought a Cobra for the performance aspect WILL have at least this done to the car. This puts them at about 460 RWHP. Even with that, unless they are running some crazy tires and dead hook, what I said will keep you ahead to the end of the quarter. On a roll, you may as well forget it (if you plan on going much over 100) unless you want to spend some serious money.

With the above mods on the Cobra and a ported blower, TB, and elbow, and a little tuning, these things are making over 500 hp at the wheels in a "worst case" scenario; better numbers if they are running the right plugs and tuning is perfect (probably around 520). And porting is cheap and easy to hide from people that don't know what a ported blower setup sounds like. You can tell if the elbow is ported when they open the hood (if it's done right) as the indentations where the socket goes when you pull the bolts out at the blower are gone. They fill that to get a better shape inside the elbow.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan94ZA4
Other thing to keep in mind is most of the 03-04 Cobras you run into are NOT stock. With just exhaust, a pulley, and a cold air, these things REALLY wake up. Anyway, good luck.
That's the truth. They are very easy to mod, so many of them are pushing out a good amount of HP more than stock.

With all the bolts ons, you might be even with a stock '03-'04 Cobra for E.T., but they trap pretty high, so racing one from a roll is tough.

Dan
Old 12-19-2004, 02:36 PM

Most of the Cobras in my local area are in running simular set ups. They are hitting a wall in the 1/8th at a 7.25 to 7.32. I am sure some one here can advice how to get passed that.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:54 PM

I have a couple local cobra's here with just bolt on's running in the 11's. So defiantly not a car to mess with unless you have extensive mods. I am building my car to do exactly as you are describing. Beat them darn stangs. But considering they have a blower it is real hard for us to compete. So most people use N20 to compete with their blower.

I am building a forged motor, GM847 cam, all bolt ons, and ported heads. This should get me close to compete against the cobra's up here. If they still win, then I will be strapping on the N20.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:19 PM

if you have the $$$, race 'em pulley to pulley

Old 12-19-2004, 04:42 PM

At a well prepped track and with you being on your game with driving, yeah you might be able to get the jump on one and hold the lead till the 1/4, but only if the Cobra driver is mediocre. Someone who knows how to drive one of those things can run well into the 12's stock. Even by granny shifting and with a full tank, Car and Driver got a 12.9 @111mph with theirs back in 02. Good luck, I hope you can pull it off. Those cars to me are the most love/hate out there right now. So easy to mod, can handle gobs of power, handling, but it's still a Mustang with a modular motor.

Jason
Old 12-19-2004, 08:48 PM

I stomped a few with n2o awhile back but now I just whip them on motor and if they have a bunch of mods I open the bottle. I haven't made any full n2o passes lately b/c I don't have a rollbar and they let me slide on motor but they said any more 10 second passes and I can't run anymore. I am having a 6point installed in january so I can stand on the 200shot!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:55 PM

Those are awesome times in your sig with a cc306. I am going with the gm847.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:11 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the responses, you guys are great!

I guess I find it hard to believe that I could hang with one with just boltons, I thought it would at least take a cam. So, with a 224 / 230 and 1.6 rockers, where would that put me on stock heads and heads that flow say 280 cfm?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by '93 Z28; 12-19-2004 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods