LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hot Cam: before and after (READ!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 01:32 PM

1300 for a cam install

holy crap u got jacked
Old 01-29-2003, 01:41 PM

Yeah I'd say that install price is pretty****ingridiculousifyouaskme. JMO though. I think I've decided to go with the hotcam when I install my heads that I've been working on. I want to shoot for at least 350 rwhp with heads and a hotcom. I think I can actually make more than that with a good tune, but we'll see.

John
Old 01-29-2003, 02:55 PM

The install of just the hot cam was about a grand....then I did a before and after dyno and the other money went to the install of all the stuff that the mechanic found had **** the bed......
Old 01-29-2003, 03:05 PM

95TA8280- your sig cracks me up"Visa-maxed out" LOL!!!!!! I'm gonna have to get a credit card before long. I have to buy tires, valves, gaskets, HOTcam kit etc. I'm gonna pay with as much as my bank account will allow and put the rest on the card. I'm hoping that I can take care of all of it but a few hundred dollars.

John
Old 01-29-2003, 04:49 PM

Good Numbers!!! Just as a point of reference my buds camaro with hotcam, cutout and thats it put down 278.1 RWHP and 284.4 RWTQ. Any of you that are doing headwork might as well go with a bigger cam cause the Hotcam is great for stock heads but your just limiting yourself if you do heads and hotcam. Plenty of bigger cams pass emissions.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:55 PM

Would you mind naming some? I only know of the hotcam and the 305 that will pass,without a special smog only tune. If you know something I don't please share the wealth.
Kory
Old 01-29-2003, 07:00 PM

BottleFed: I would recommend the TPIS hat-kit for 65 bucks. Go to TPIS.com. They say you have to machine or grind off the factory "hat" but I got mine off w/ tin snips. The "hat" is bent over the bottom diaphram piece. If you get a sharp edged tool to get a good grip on the edge, you can bend it back and take it off in less than 5 minutes. Then the new "hat" has a compression clamp that goes around the outer perimeter to seal. I originally set mine to 49psi as advised from pcm4less but then we later decided that it liked 46psi better.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:27 PM

Unless you are having fueling issues (100% duty cycle or dying fuel pump), I agress with Rich - you won't gain 25rwhp. There should be some power in it though leaning it to 13:1 or so though.

35rwhp is not bad for a cam kit. It would have been a more fair comparison to redyno the stock cam setup when the opti, wires, and other maintenance items were corrected as it is not known how much was gained from that alone.

BTW, was it dynoed with the cutout? Do you have dyno graphs you can post? Peak numbers are nice and all, but the entire curve is much more important.

-Alex
Old 01-29-2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by AlexA
Unless you are having fueling issues (100% duty cycle or dying fuel pump), I agress with Rich - you won't gain 25rwhp. There should be some power in it though leaning it to 13:1 or so though.

35rwhp is not bad for a cam kit. It would have been a more fair comparison to redyno the stock cam setup when the opti, wires, and other maintenance items were corrected as it is not known how much was gained from that alone.

BTW, was it dynoed with the cutout? Do you have dyno graphs you can post? Peak numbers are nice and all, but the entire curve is much more important.

-Alex
I posted my before awhile ago but I scanned it at my GFs dad's house, and I'm at school with no scanner......The after dyno was with the cutout closed...the mechanic just put it in because when he drove around he thought it was really annoying the way it sounded. So with it open I'll gain around 9 or so, and another 10 or so for the tune....so I should be around 324. Plus an airfoil for another 5 or 6......hopefully 330
Old 01-29-2003, 09:49 PM

95TA8280, as a comparsion to your dyno #'s, this is what my car dynoed. Go here:

www.ws6zxr.com/showthread.php?threadid=12123

You have the Hotcam kit and I believe it comes with 1.6rr's with springs and all that stuff. You basically have the same mods as myself except you have the cam and I have the TB. I've nevered dynotuned my combo as I feel that my car is making the best of everything it's got without spending more money and time to dynotune and I don't feel I have a factory freak either.

Personally, something isn't right if you're getting the #'s you're getting having a cam in the car. You should get better #'s AFA hp and torque without needing to dynotune to get the results up to where you should be. I personally would be pissed if I spent what you spent doing a cam and only getting the #'s you got.

One more thing, hp increases don't just add up like you think (20 for headers, 10-15 for exhaust, 25-30 for a cam, 10 for a TB so I should have around 65-75 hp more than stk.) It all works together to give you the increases your car will see, usually 10-12% lower than what you think to be on the conservative side.
JMO.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:27 PM

The dyno guy said my corrected numbers were 315, so I dunno which one to go by......I actually also don't know what the differences are. The only other thing I can think of is that I'm getting some knock, and maybe that is preventing some power. I'll have new numbers with a tune and the KM along with the airfoil.....we'll see what I put down.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by 95TA8280
The dyno guy said my corrected numbers were 315, so I dunno which one to go by......I actually also don't know what the differences are. The only other thing I can think of is that I'm getting some knock, and maybe that is preventing some power. I'll have new numbers with a tune and the KM along with the airfoil.....we'll see what I put down.
Which dyno was the guy using? If it's a dynojet the #'s should already be corrected to SAE standards. Did you check the link that contains another link to my graph from last Sept.? Your printout should say SAE corrected hp and torque like mine.

get a scanner on there while you're tuning, if there is knock that'll definitely hold you back. I use my HPP3 now more as a scanner than the power tuning thing (also use it for the fan temps with the 160 stat) and I get nothing AFA knock, doesn't show up on the scanner. I run 94 Sunoco which can be one reason why I have hardly any knock show up.

Yes, keep us informed when you dyno tune, hopefully the #'s will be there after you're done although I do feel that the #'s should already be there without the need to dynotune. Good luck!!
Old 01-30-2003, 09:52 AM

I don't see on yours it saying corrected......all I see is SAE HP on the left, same thing mine says. The guy was using a dynojet. SOme guy on this board gained 26 HP from the LT4 KM and 1.6 RRs, and he said about half of that gain was just because of the KM....so if I am getting a ton of knock it could be costing me 10 or so horses....I'll see after the tune and the KM......
Old 01-30-2003, 10:05 AM

I just put my new motor in that has a hot cam, I'm havibg a hell of a time trying to tune it. It pulls real hard but I think the motor is leaning out when I get into it. I just ordered a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Maybe that will help.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by 95TA8280
From what I understand my numbers are really good for my mods...a lot of people have similiar mods and similiar numbers....Maybe you're a factory freak?
I must have a freak too or something cuz I dynoed 301rwhp and 338rwtq with bolt-ons:

CAI
Airfoil
Granatelli Maf
HPP3
SLP headers/OR pipe/flowmaster
free mods
IAT relocater

Thats about it. Dont expect too much of a gain from a tune unless it gets dyno tuned, and even then you might only see 10hp or so. I had Bryan lean me out in his program cuz I was running low 11's A/F. He leaned me to 12.0-13.0 across the range and I lost 3-5hp/tq across the band, but only lost 2rwhp and 2rwtq peak. So leaning me out to where I should be compared to other people did squat for me. Each car varies I guess.

Quick Reply: Hot Cam: before and after (READ!!)