LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hooker lt's y pipe nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 10:29 AM

Hooker lt's y pipe nightmare

I bought a custom Y pipe that was used and I tried to put it on but it looked like it needed extensive grinding of the crossmember. After grinding it to the point where I didnt think that I should go any more to preserve integrity in the crossmember I just bolted it on. Well it was touching when I was bolting it on but I think the crossmember is pushing it down to the point where I only have 1.6" of ground clearance near where the Y pipe ends the I pipe is only 1.5 feet or so long) I think I might have bent the drivers primary down, what I am curious about is whether or not it will return to its normal state when I unbolt the Y pipe. 1.6" ground clearance isnt acceptable is it? It's very close to the rear end, this is just a nightmare for me. I swear the cam install was easier than these stupid headers. I dont understand how the previous owner of this Y pipe cleared the crossmember!!

Oh yeah, when I run the car, I hear a clunk once and a while at idle. When I rev it a bit and keep it steady it doesnt bang. I can feel the shifter jolt whenever the bang occurs and the engine jerks slightly. I am almost positive its the Y pipe banging the crossmember.

Also, I have a 16 ton 3" pipe bender as well as a welder at access for any ideas.

Last edited by Rodrigues; 04-03-2003 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:38 AM

first, what is the size of the y-pipe, are there cats on it, if so where? how many? is this a brand name y-pipe(mufflex) or a Billy Bob local garage special? did the person you bought the Y from have an auto? or an M6?
Old 04-03-2003, 10:55 AM

The person I bought it from probably had an auto. I think his name was Mike, he lives in Lincoln Park, Michigan. Not his fault at all however. Its catless and he said Ramchargers made it. It looks really good and it was mandrel bent.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:18 AM

bad thing about that is, the y was probably custom made for a auto trans, we have m6's, we have that crossmember that gets in the way , the mufflex kinda sorta fits, but when it comes down to it youstill have to grind some off the cross member on the driver side for clearance, even then I still didn't like how it fit. I would not use that Y now knowing the guy you bought it from had an A4 and it was probably custom made to go around that Transmission not the M6.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:41 AM

I also have a Y-pipe made by Modern Musclecar/Ramchargers and it is a nice quality piece, but don't try putting a Spohn Torque Arm with the relocated mount on because it won't fit around where the Y comes together. I don't believe any grinding was done to the crossmember but I had to space down my Metco driveshaft loop to get it to clear the Y-pipe.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:33 PM

I think you guys are right, the Y pipe was made for an automatic transmission. What a bummer... How much does ramchargers charge to make a new one?
Old 04-03-2003, 02:38 PM

You could get the Mufflex.I am happy with the way it worked for me.No problems installing it,no rubbing.I have about 6 inches clearance.Just a suggestion.

Last edited by joeSS97; 04-03-2003 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:41 PM

Yo por mi parte.... I just made it... and I have 1.5"clearance.. if I go faster than 55 in some places.. my HEADERS!!! the connector with the Y-pipe will touch the road!! ouch!!!!...

It bangs on the crossmember and I haven't ground it, nor I think I will...

Anyways.. mine is custom built and no cats.. it sounds and fells so beautiful and smooth!!! I like it...
Old 04-03-2003, 02:49 PM

My ground clearance at the collector are fine, im worried near the rear end. It almost looks like I can push the car down and make it touch its so low. I might just give in to a mufflex if a shop wants too much. I will try Ramchargers or Mr. Muffler and see what they can do.

Originally posted by The Highlander
Yo por mi parte.... I just made it... and I have 1.5"clearance.. if I go faster than 55 in some places.. my HEADERS!!! the connector with the Y-pipe will touch the road!! ouch!!!!...

It bangs on the crossmember and I haven't ground it, nor I think I will...

Anyways.. mine is custom built and no cats.. it sounds and fells so beautiful and smooth!!! I like it...
Old 04-03-2003, 03:13 PM

I dont think mine hangs that low. I have yet to scrape the headers themsevles but my old y-pipe use to scrape due to poor build. My true duals have more clearance than the y-pipe did. Here is a pic.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/robjta/...arance_pic.JPG