LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Honest opinions on Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 02:03 PM

Cool

Thread states "Honest opinions on nitrous".

Give your opinion and let the flames rest.

There's two schools of thought - It's cheating and It's not cheating. Been like that for decades. Get over it. Form your own opinion and respect that of others.

My opinion

In todays world of immediate self gratification it is far easier to push a button and go fast.

No waiting on NA build up and trial test and tunes.

I respect speed and more importantly those who can be fast under control and have built their car to not grenade under the stresses that come with speed.

That being said, I will always be in awe of the NA built motor than runs sub 10's than the motor being juiced. And, if you're sub 10's NA and into the low 9's high 8's on the juice you really have my attention.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:06 PM

How can a thread asking for opinions be flamed? You can't expect everybody to love N2O...therefore those who do not are simply stating their opinion, not flaming...

again, JMO
Old 01-09-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by FacelessZ
You people are hilarious. I wouldn't expect any less from people who have watched a bit too much F&TF. Wait until you lose someone close to using the idiodic giggle gas...

FYI I have been in a car that ran a 150 shot...yea its cool and get you up there quick, but I can see how it can be dangerous on the streets. Probably not the smartest 'mod' for those of you who fly off at people on the internet about "what I'm getting by Spring" You're the idiots that kill people every day by flexing your small rocks!
Sure it can be dangerous on the street. Who says it has to be used there?

FYI, a car that runs n/a is just as dangerous as one running nitrous.

You can say what you want about the "gettin by spring thing", seeing as how that is the only thing you can possibly call me on, cause you have nothing else, but take a look in your sig at the "sittin next to me" part. Goin by your logic it doesn't matter what ya have next to ya, if it's not in the car, don't talk about it...

BTW, I hate the fast and the furious. I refused to even watch the second one. Uneducated people like you are the ones that think nitrous use only comes from the fast and the furious movies. It has been around for years, and many people use it, even on professional circuits. There are no rules against it, because it is not cheating.

Maybe it's safer than you think and your fiances bro's friends were just morons about how they were driving. How do you know they were even using the nitrous when they wrecked???

Last edited by hot_red_z28; 01-09-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:13 PM

Unless you understand the situation, how exactly can you come to conclusions? Did you not think that possibly it was investigated after the DEADLY wreck and they noticed the N2O? Could the solenoid have leaked and the N2O could have still been escaping? Hmm...

Stick to your hard-@ss comments and leave us to our opinions. You run your baby bottle and we'll actually continue to work hard on our cars...

As for using it on the streets, I'm sure you've NEVER sprayed on the streets...why? To beat some guy and feel 'better' about yourself? Uh good reason...I guess...

Have I mentioned the cam I have? No. That's the end of that...I'm not all like "Wait until Spring when I have this and this and that....then you'll be sorry" If I had, then go ahead and bring it up...since I didnt, then no point in bringing it up...

Anywho I have many better things to do with my time aside from responding to half-wits like yourself.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:21 PM

Unless you understand the situation, how exactly can you come to conclusions? Did you not think that possibly it was investigated after the DEADLY wreck and they noticed the N2O? Could the solenoid have leaked and the N2O could have still been escaping? Hmm...
If you knew anything about nitrous, or could read, you see that I explained it above. If you let off the accelerator, you get less fuel, leaking nitrous will *** up the engine, not cause it to run stronger...

Stick to your hard-@ss comments and leave us to our opinions. You run your baby bottle and we'll actually continue to work hard on our cars...

As for using it on the streets, I'm sure you've NEVER sprayed on the streets...why? To beat some guy and feel 'better' about yourself? Uh good reason...I guess...
Again, if you could read, you see that above I said I have never used the nitrous in a race...

Have I mentioned the cam I have? No. That's the end of that...I'm not all like "Wait until Spring when I have this and this and that....then you'll be sorry" If I had, then go ahead and bring it up...since I didnt, then no point in bringing it up...
I never said anything about him being sorry. You are just twisting my words. I only told him what I have ACTUALLY ordered, because he was saying things about nitrous cars being slow without nitrous.

Anywho I have many better things to do with my time aside from responding to half-wits like yourself.
Obviously
Old 01-09-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by zhevy-1
Can somebody give a little schooling on what a progressive nitrous set up is?
I don't know a whole lot about nitrous, but for what I hear, a progressive nitrous set up, is one of the safest way of running it.
Anybody cares to explain a little?
Goose
I use the NX maximizer progressive controller. You can set a number of things with it such as delay , start shot %, rise rate, and reset rise % increase for manual trannys. Example I can set my system up with a .5 sec delay off the line with an initial shot of 50% with a 1.5 sec rise to 100% and at each shift have the reset start the initial shot 25% higher. So second gear would start with a 75% shot with the same 1.5 sec rise to 100% and so on.

I dont think its any safer...as a matter of fact its harder on the silinods due to the fluttering and requires you to service them more often. Its mostly a traction aid.

Last edited by gb95zconv; 01-09-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:19 PM

Another side benifit to N2O is how pissed off it makes the few people who don't use it. It is a great idea for a street car that sees a little track time. I don't think I would want to daily drive a NA motor that would do low 10's, but a low to mid 12 second motor is no problem, then you can spray it when you need it.

You run your baby bottle and we'll actually continue to work hard on our cars...

You're right, people who run N2O don't work on their cars. They pay people to build monster 409 motors and hope it gets done right. Nevermind, that is people who run NA. (disregard if you are bulding your own motor)

I am a 20 year old college student on a very tight budget. I built my own motor (forged bottom end 355, 224/230, head work, and all supporting bolt ons). I also had to rebuild my own starter and alternator because of lack of money. The only thing I did not do was build my own tranny (I am building my next one however). when I bought my car, it was dissassmbled and the parts filled an entire truck bed. I spent around 200 hours putting it all back together/building the motor etc. And guess what, I use N2O. Direct port 250 shot is sitting in my bedroom waiting for warm weather to install.

The car has been driven daily for the past 5000 miles with no trouble, but your right, I don't know how to work on my car.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:25 PM

I consider n2o to be great, it not cheating its just changing the atmoshpere in your intake alittle.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:29 PM

Another straight forward legit topic turned into a stupid flame war on this wretched board.

Bleh.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:42 PM

If your smart you would have 2 cars, 1 an F-body for summer and strip, the other for work and winter!!
Old 01-09-2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by dkeers
Direct port 250 shot is sitting in my bedroom waiting for warm weather to install.

Uh oh man, you best not say that, or he'll try to label you a "wait till spring bench racer" like he did me...

Last edited by hot_red_z28; 01-09-2004 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:49 PM

This bench racer bull s### is getting old, for get waiting till spring, if we were on the track now, I would smoke you!
Old 01-09-2004, 04:06 PM

Nitrous is my favorite power adder, and if you think I'm cheating, call me a cheater. I'll use any advantage I can get, power is power, racing is racing, it's all about who gets to the finish line first.

To the original poster, take a browse in the n20 tech section of the board. Do a search there is a wealth of information. As a quick responce to your question, I'd recommend a wet nitrous kit, a window switch for safety, colder plugs like the ngk tr6, and a bottle heater. Purge is also fun to have. When you get the kit start off with a 50 shot, and work your way up from there. Good luck.

Brian
Old 01-09-2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by hozb817
This bench racer bull s### is getting old, for get waiting till spring, if we were on the track now, I would smoke you!

who are you going to smoke with your mid 13's speed machine again?? This is going to be the clash of the titans here..
Old 01-09-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by hozb817
Oh boy...

Check your mods, then check mine...

then and take it like a man...

Quick Reply: Honest opinions on Nitrous