LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

home ported LT4 intake (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:19 PM

home ported LT4 intake (pics)

I picked up an LT4 intake about a month ago. I bought it knowing it had some "minor" porting done to it. When I got it I kinda laughed at the ports. They had some very minor port work. Heres what they looked like:

Here is the basically stock port with the gasket up to it. My ported Trick Flow heads are opened up to this 7777 LT4 race gasket.

I have the tools for porting but never tried it before. i decided to give it a try. I bought a Standard Abrasives cyl head porting kit. Set up my die grinder and turned the pressure down on my compressor to about 50lbs. Went to work. Here is what the results are:

same port with the gasket:

couple more shots:

What do you think? Not too bad for a first timer huh? I only did one side so far. That was about 4-4.5 hrs of work there. I think with more practice I could get much faster. Any pro's out there care to comment on the work? How does it looks?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:32 PM

I've never ported myself, however from all the time I've spent looking at others work online, I would say it turned out pretty well, good job!

Aaron
Old 11-24-2006, 05:19 PM

Thanks, I had to take a ton of material out of them just to match the gaskets. The side walls of the ports in stock form have a pretty big casting mark and they are not even flat. I took a ton of material of the walls, floor and roof too. I could go more but I dont want to pop thru anywhere. I just concentraded on straightening the walls out then opening up the top of the port and flaten out the the roof near the inj bungs. I took over 1/4" of material for there alone. Then contoured teh corners and matched the openings up to the gaskets. Then after matching the gaskets I went back and opened up the runner to match the final opening.

Not too hard honestly but its time consuming. I'm going to try an LT1 intake next. My stocker has a ton of room for porting too

If I lay my stock LT1 gasket up to this port, the top edge of the LT1 gasket just misses the begining of the ports. I never realized how much more material was on an LT4 vs and LT1.

Last edited by Projectz28; 11-24-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:34 PM

thumbs up for you man

Nice work! I know how much work it is to port aluminum ports... I ported my bike's head a while back and it took quite a bit of time and patience
Old 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Raise the roof on them a little more. You want the opening to get smaller as it gets closer to the head. This creates more velocity and moves the air a little faster and smoother.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen97Z
Raise the roof on them a little more. You want the opening to get smaller as it gets closer to the head. This creates more velocity and moves the air a little faster and smoother.
But you dont want a lip... that is the worst condition for head/intake alignment.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:42 AM

looks the same as what i did to my lt4 intake when i put my afr heads on several years ago, worked perfect for me
Old 11-25-2006, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know what heads your using, but you should never use a gasket as a reference to porting the heads. 99.9% of the time, the gaskets aren't precise to the head. My LT4 Gaskets where off signifigantly, compaired to the alignment of my heads, but the custom portmatched job on my intake was dead on. After I intalled it I checked the alignment with the head ports and they were dead spot on. Just giving you a "heads" up, don't want anyone to make an unfixable mistake.

BTW my head ports werent that large, and so niether were my intake ports, It might be the pearson that used that head could of had them portmatched also if it was used that is.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:11 AM

thatks for the advice. I can take the roof a bit higher. I dont want to go crazy with it make them too thin but I will go some more. I still have a little room.

As for a lip... I dont think there will be one. I am using TEA ported Trick Flow heads. The ports on the head are the exact same size as this gasket. (pn:12367777 GM LT4 race gasket) My heads are opened up to that size. (220cc LT4 TFS heads) Yeah i know its big but I am building a race car here. The gasket is set on the head with dowels and I used the bolt holes to align the gasket to the intake. The most they could be off is just the play in the bolt holes which isnt much. I will however, double check the alignment of them to the head itself when I get that far.

These ports still need a little refining but I would say I can finish the pictured ports with about 15 min more work just to make a nice finish on them.

If I lay a stock LT1 gasket up o this the top edge of the LT1 gasket doesnt even hit the bottom edge of the port roof. There is actually a small gap there. These ports are over 1/4" taller than a stock LT1...

Last edited by Projectz28; 11-25-2006 at 06:15 AM.