LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Holy Smokes Part 2!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM

Unhappy Holy Smokes Part 2!

I'm not sure what to do now. I crawled under my car today to see what was causing the smoke. I have 2 serious issues. The first issue is my ultra cool valve covers are catching on the coolant line in the back of the heads, and it is allowing oil to leak onto the header. I Think I can clearance it if I bend the tube a little bit I think that should keep the oil from leaking.

The other problem is a bit more serious. My Jet Hot Headers have a hole in them a little bit smaller than a dime. It is right where the #8 piston exhaust tube ascends off the exhaust flange,but to make it even worse the header flange is misshaped and doesn't sit flush on the heads. It is leaking at the flange on the same tube as well. Almost a year and a half ago I remember that I clearanced the tube so I could hopefully get it to slide on the car properly. It was designed so poorly that I couldn't fit any tool on there to access the nut. So I dented the exhaust tube in so I could tighten the bolt down. Now after months of sitting corrosion has ate away at the metal and punched a hole in it. I'm not sure what I should do now. I have a bad header that needs serious work to be corrected now.

What do you guys htink I should do? I like the jet hots and am satisfied with them, but this header needs work. Do you think Jet hot might fix it? I know I will have to pay them but I can't drive around like this.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Are you positive the header flange is deformed and you just don't have loose header bolts or even a bad gasket? If it is, then machining might be able to get the surface flush again. You would also need the hole patched up and welded. With all that work, it might tally up to the cost of buying a used set of Jet-Hots.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM

Pacesetters would be cheaper than to fix it if your flange is shot too.