LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Be a hero, Help a disgruntled man :P (ignition probs)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Be a hero, Help a disgruntled man :P (ignition probs)

Well I finally made it hope a trip which should have taken 5 mins took 5 hrs...

The Problem...

I have a 95 Camaro LT1 It is modified pretty well..

Cold start Runs amazing and for 5 miles it will continue... after that time... The car will Die.... tac will sometimes jump crazily right after car has died...

When i try to start the car.. It won't..... If i let it set for 5 mins... it will run for another few minutes.... Repeat this cycle till you get home

I replaced the msd blaster coil... problem remains
Replaced the ICM ..... Problem remains

Usually i don't come begging for help but now i am... I need some other troubleshooting ideas... I don't feel like getting stranded 10 more times...

I do have a 6al box... Thanks for your help guys...

Jaron
Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 PM

have you tried running it with the msd box unhooked
Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 AM

Did you scan it for codes? Check the opti harness for problems.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jaronk56
Cold start Runs amazing and for 5 miles it will continue... after that time... The car will Die....
try unplugging an O2 and drive it around again.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 AM

I know you said the icm was replaced. But sounds like your problem is the icm. Usually when anything else on your ignition system goes out the car wont fire at all. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Did you scan it for codes? Check the opti harness for problems.
I dont think the check engine light ever turned on..... What should I look for Mike... I'm not a opti master.... But i've heard horror stories

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
try unplugging an O2 and drive it around again.
Speedy Im curious what will this test... what will i accomplish by unplugging a o2?

Originally Posted by sconley1028
I know you said the icm was replaced. But sounds like your problem is the icm. Usually when anything else on your ignition system goes out the car wont fire at all. Good luck.
Sconley I replaced the ICM with a brand new one and the same exact symptoms happened... Now if we can narrow it down more... trought test or ect.. I could get a replacement

Any more input and actual test procedures would be appreciated!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Happend to me it turned out to be a bad opti. The car would only start when it was cold and it ran fine then it would die and wouldn't turn back on unless it sat for a little while. I changed so many things till i changed that again i changed the coil plugs plug wires. The way you are describing it sounds just like mine. The check engine light never came on either and no codes. Also what might help would be to check the spark and if you have a scan tool that shows live time just let it run till it dies and see what failed.

Last edited by Drew24; 11-09-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM

I have been replaceing an Opti with similar symptoms. Runs great down the road (97ss 383 D1 MM6) untill 15 miles and up to temp. Not over temp since I run Evans waterless with coolant media temp 160* or less. Car quits. Very dangerous since I loose the pwr_stearing (brakes OK since they are electric vac_boost). Anyway, open the hood, apply finger load to the opti connector, engine fires and runs good. Down the road again, and it happens again. Apply finger load to the connector and engine fires/ runs. Well, some would say the connector does not have full encoder pin engagement. No, not the problem. Electrical harness has an open... No, rings tru even under flexing. Dirt? No, I run and external Vac pump, so no oil.

I have a brand new Summit opti_2 dist 1.2 years old. I think the encoder has an intermitant open under heat. I have changed the opti now. No problems @ 1+ week. I think there are alot of low quality optical encoders being mfg in china or bang_besh (whatever). Summit does not want to refund/ replace since it is 1+ year old. I have @ least 6 opti's/ parts w/ 4 bad encoders. All I need is to find a source for the optical encoder, or make my own.

Hope this helps. B.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Drew24
Happend to me it turned out to be a bad opti. The car would only start when it was cold and it ran fine then it would die and wouldn't turn back on unless it sat for a little while. I changed so many things till i changed that again i changed the coil plugs plug wires. The way you are describing it sounds just like mine. The check engine light never came on either and no codes. Also what might help would be to check the spark and if you have a scan tool that shows live time just let it run till it dies and see what failed.

I had a feeling the opti was to blame...

Drew... Is this a direct replacement for mine??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-94...d=360119667093

Anytips for replacing a opti.. this is my lost zone i always had my tuner mess with the opti... when replacing how do i know how to line everything up? My tune and timing is perfect now.. I dont want to mess it up.. Any Opti replacement tips are welcome

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Check your fuel pressure.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by raroz28
Check your fuel pressure.
I have watched my fuel gauge.... walbro is doing its job...

the way it cuts out is definitely electrical..
Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Typically you don't want to buy the cheapys on ebay because they are mostly defective at least thats from my experience i made that mistake once and wasted 150 that could have gone to ac deco from gm. Some people on here have gotten them and they worked but its a guessing game that it might not so i would suggest going on summit.com or going to the dealer your looking to spend about 250 or so on it. But the install is pretty cut and dry just make sure you label the spark plug wires in the order you take them off and whats going to have to come off is the intake bs and water pump along with the harmonic balancer and a couple of other things like the air pump and coil
Old 11-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mzgp5x
Runs great down the road (97ss 383 D1 MM6) untill 15 miles and up to temp. ... Anyway, open the hood, apply finger load to the opti connector, engine fires and runs good. Down the road again, and it happens again. Apply finger load to the connector and engine fires/ runs.

I think the encoder has an intermitant open under heat.
So you think your engine is cooling down enough to cool the opti in the minute it takes to pop the hood and press the connector down? ...really?

The wiring is a very common point or failure. If you loose the low-res feed, the engine will die. I still say over 90% of the time the opti is NOT actually the problem.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:12 PM

So whats better? a msd rotor and cap or a original GM one?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by red94chicken
have you tried running it with the msd box unhooked
have you tried this?? msd boxes are notorious for failing when near a heat source.

Quick Reply: Be a hero, Help a disgruntled man :P (ignition probs)