LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP! Very high idle after headers & rockers installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 04:44 PM

HELP! Very high idle after headers & rockers installation

I finally did some work on my Firebird this week. I got most of my bolt ons on the car and ran into a problem after firing the car.

First off, as I was putting everything together, I stripped the threads in the passenger header where the EGR pipe screws in. Also, the EGR valve on the driver's side header would not come off my stock manifolds. I went and got 2 freeze plugs to put in the headers and capped of the EGR pipes.

When I first started the car up, it idled fine. After about a minute of idling, the revs jumped to 1800rpms by itself and stayed there. I went ahead and reset the computer, and my buddy and I checked the engine for anything that may cause a vacuum leak. We found nothing.

The car runs fine, no misses or bucking or things of that nature. No check engine light either. The only problem is the car idles rock solid at 1800 rpms. I'm at a loss where to go from here. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:51 PM

Re: HELP! Very high idle after headers & rockers installation

gotta be some type of vaccum leak, especially if you messed with the emissions junk.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:10 AM

Ttt
Old 03-13-2006, 09:12 AM

Ttt
Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 AM

I agree that you should check for a vacuum leak. After I installed my headers my car would float up in rpms before finally settling back down every time i stepped on the clutch or slowed down. I ended up having a torn vacuum hose.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:34 PM

What do you guys know about the hard EGR hose that runs from the passenger header to the back of the intake mandifold? Is the plate that bolts the EGR line to the intake connected to the EGR hose , or is there just a flange on the end of the line to keep the plate from falling off? I can move that hard line around some, so that is the only thing I can think of that would cause a leak. I've checked through everything numerous times and everything is connected. It just baffles me because when I first started it up after putting it together it idles fine for a few minutes , then out of nowhere it just jumped to 1800 and stayed there. I tried resettign the computer and it didnt't help.

Brandon
Old 03-13-2006, 03:51 PM

if thats leaking you will hear it. it will sound like a leaky header gasket. tick tick tick tick tick. try spraying carb cleaner on vacum lines and see if the idle drops. if it does then there's you leak
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 PM

I've tried the brake cleaner already and found nothing......

thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 04:17 PM

Check to make sure your intake elbow is on properly at the bottom and that there are no tears in it.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:53 AM

I have a new Trick Flow elbow. It is connectoed properly. My car is speed density anyway, so that wouldn't affect my idle.

I still can't figure this thing out. Myself and many people I know have looked through the engine bay, and noone can find anything that's not sealed up. Like I said before, the part I can't get was the car idling fine, and and then by itself jumped to this high idle and has stayed there since. Are there any sensors that may cause this when they go bad. I had some TPS issues with this car , but a new sensor and TPS enhancer have fixed the problem

Brandon
Old 03-16-2006, 07:54 AM

I have a new Trick Flow elbow. It is connectoed properly. My car is speed density anyway, so that wouldn't affect my idle.

I still can't figure this thing out. Myself and many people I know have looked through the engine bay, and noone can find anything that's not sealed up. Like I said before, the part I can't get was the car idling fine, and and then by itself jumped to this high idle and has stayed there since. Are there any sensors that may cause this when they go bad. I had some TPS issues with this car , but a new sensor and TPS enhancer have fixed the problem

Brandon
Old 03-16-2006, 07:54 AM

Brandon
Old 03-17-2006, 05:18 PM

Stuck IAC.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:50 PM

I'm going to the parts store in a little bit to get a new IAC. I'd had a couple other people tell me the same thing. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Brandon
Old 03-18-2006, 01:10 PM

You dont have to get a new IAC but try cleaning the old one.

Id suspect the EGR tube at the back of the intake. Just cap it off with an EGR delete kit. But for now unplug the EGR valve.. I believe that will close off the EGR tube.

Quick Reply: HELP! Very high idle after headers & rockers installation