LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help please !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 11:24 AM

Help please !! wont start

I just recently replaced my opti (Cap, rotor and distributor), Water pump, spark plugs and wires on my 1993 Z. After putting everything back together my car would not start. It will crank over but will not even attempt to start. I don’t know what I could have done wrong. The only thing I can think of is when I had the old opti off I decided it would be a good time to give my engine bay a good cleaning. I covered the opening to the throttle body with a piece of plastic but later discovered that water managed to get into the throttle body anyway. Would this cause my problem? I also did not gap my new plugs when I installed them. Also I had to take the water pump sensor (I think) out of my old water pump to put into my new water pump. Maybe I messed that up.

Any input would really help. Thanx guys

Last edited by Dan93; 02-08-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:39 AM

First check for a spark at the end of one of the plug wires. This will at least help you identify if the problem is either electrical or gas. And you might as well take the plugs back out and gap them. I doubt that having the gap set incorrectly would prevent the engine from even popping, but it will give your engine bad performance (knocking). A little water in the intake should not hurt to much. But since you need to take the plugs back out you might as well crank the engine a little and let the water blow out the plug holes.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:35 PM

I'm totally unformiliar with 93-94 opti's but didn't the Opti have to be timed when they are replaced cause they use a splined shaft? Not like the vented ones that use the cam pin locating hole. I'm sure someone will chime in on that one.