LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help me troubleshoot this

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 PM

Help me troubleshoot this

About a week ago I noticed this slight clacking sound that I can only hear inside the car. I can only hear it at idle with the windows up, under the hood you can't hear it at all, and under the car you can't hear it either. It sounds like it is comming from the passenger side where your feet would sit. It sounds just like a diesel but it is very quiet.

It gets faster with the rpm and you can hear it right from when the car is first started. It stays the same with the clutch in or out, and with the tranny in nutural or in gear. The only time the sound changes is when the clutch starts to engages in reverse and only reverse.

I noticed it right after I finshed installing my nitrous kit but before I ever used it. The only other thinpg thats new to the car is I put in a new clutch about 4000 miles ago but other than a little bit of chatter it has worked perfectly. The car is also running good.

So what is the best way to find where this sound is comming from?? I am going to check all the sparkplugs to make sure they are tight and check again for any leaks in the exaust. And if I dont get any other sugestions I will probably pull my tranny out and check the clutch and piolt bearing.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 AM

Re: Help me troubleshoot this

I don't think it's your tranny because i have the same problem and have an automatic. I noticed i can hear it slightly standing above the engine when the hood is open and i can really hear it with my head infront of the passenger front tire. See if you notice the same. i thought it was my rocker arms clanking but i took a stethoscope to it and didn't here squat. As far as i know i think it's an exhaust leak or something is loose and clanking against something else.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:01 PM

Re: Help me troubleshoot this

well I tried to find the noise using a hose And I found that it is defenatly comming from the bellhousing somewhere, so I guesws it looks like i will be pulling my tranny this weekend