LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

help me....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 08:37 PM

help me....

Hey guys.... just bought a 93 z28 with 155,000 miles.... today I started having some issues with it. I went to start it, and it turned over just fine, but wouldn't idle worth a damn, just kept stumbling and would eventually die... the only way I could keep it running was to give it some gas and keep my foot in it..... then after an hour or so, it would start up and drive just fine.... and then the next time I went to start it, it started getting whacky again. It's not missing at all, but it is backfiring a bit here and there. I'm thinking that it could be a number of things; egr, o2s, bad fuel, coil, ignition module..... eh and maybe the optispark (hope not)... I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.... it seems to be an off-and-on thing today.... I just remember my TA doing the same stuff when the opti was on it's way out.... any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:20 AM

Try cleaning the idle air control valve, thats what it sounds like.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:13 AM

well, if you only have the problem at idle.....and it stops when a little throttle is applied....then that would lead me to believe that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The idle air valve is another definite lead to follow. In fact, you should clean the IAV with some TB cleaner. Then look for a leak.