LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help.....Crankshaft Hub Install ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 12:59 AM

Help.....Crankshaft Hub Install ?

I am installing the crankshaft hub on a 1997 LT1 and noticed that it has no key which is normal. I have since turned the motor over since I put the cover on so i really cant find a sure way of finding exactly number one. Can i just put the hub on in any position not worrying about those arrows and dots. Mine does not have an arrow, all it has is a dot and i heard that at #1 TDC the dot will go up. Well is this true or can i just put it on in any position since it is neutral balanced and what not. Thanks
Old 12-14-2003, 01:02 AM

you could put the hub on any way, it doesnt really matter, it would just make it easier to find TDC if the dot was aligned with it. thats it hth
Old 12-14-2003, 01:04 AM

So if the only time i need to find TDC is to adjust rockers and what not. I can really do that by watching the lifters and the valves. So in other words, There is no harm by putting this thing on in any position! Thanks for the quick response
Old 12-14-2003, 01:06 AM

youre welcome
Old 12-14-2003, 01:19 PM

TTT, anyone else have an opinion if this is correct or not? Thanks, im trying to put this thing together and I'm kind of worried!
Old 12-14-2003, 01:27 PM

yea it does not matter which way it goes on. adusting rockers can be done more accurit if it is done with motor running anyways.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:28 PM

pull plug #1 out and stick in a pen, have your friend to manually turn the crank, and feel when the cylinder starts going up. You can turn the crank by yourseft too. Watch your rockers at the same time to determine when #1 is in firing position. I cannot remember exactly, but I think that when your cylinder is comming up and your #1 rocker is not moving, the your engine is in piston #1 firing position

Adjust your rockers by the manual just to start the car, and then its a must to readjust the rockers when the engine is running
Old 12-14-2003, 01:30 PM

If you can find TDC by watching the lifters and the valves, why not go ahead and find #1 or #6 TDC and set the hub according to that. No harm in not doing that but it would suck if you forgot about that or sold the car and people not know what you did. My $0.02.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:35 PM

Well the problem is everyone knows how big of a pain the hub is and i already installed it not knowing it went on a certain way since there is no key. So i was wondering if i can leave it alone and just adjuct the rockers while its running or make a new mark on the hub or balancer for TDC on 1. I know how to adjust the rockers just not sure if the hub matters what way it goes on! Thanks for the wuick replies!
Old 12-14-2003, 02:08 PM

Oil up the crank snout with a light oil set it in place and use a dead blow or copper/brass hammer and tap it right into place. You will definately be able to tell when it is bottomed, then torque the crank bolt to spec. DO NOT use the crank bolt to draw the hub on!!!! you run the risk of stripping the threads. Also do yourself a favor and follow the service manuals reccomended procedure on valve adjustment. Hve fun man hope this helped!!

~~rob
Old 12-14-2003, 03:07 PM

So pretty much, We have determined that we can put this hub on in any position and it wont affect anything mechanically. I know it can hurt me in terms of locating TDC and what not, Put as far as mechanically, it wont be out of balance or anything like that?
Old 12-14-2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Trans-Am
Oil up the crank snout with a light oil set it in place and use a dead blow or copper/brass hammer and tap it right into place. You will definately be able to tell when it is bottomed, then torque the crank bolt to spec. DO NOT use the crank bolt to draw the hub on!!!! you run the risk of stripping the threads. Also do yourself a favor and follow the service manuals reccomended procedure on valve adjustment. Hve fun man hope this helped!!

~~rob
>I wouldn't "tap it into place" just go to AutoZone or Advanced Auto and rent the tool for a refundable $40.00 which will put it on evenly with no second guessing .
If it's already installed than get a big enough gear puller and take it off and align the blue line with TDC .
But after looking at it (one in hand) it looks like it's balanced from the factory . So it may not matter , But when in doubt I would go with TDC and alignment line .
Old 12-14-2003, 03:23 PM

I put on the hub with the white dot on the hub to the spot on the crankshaft that has the key. I dont know if this is correct put its how i installed it. If its not correct, is there going to be any problems or will it owrk fine and just not show an accurate TDC?
Old 12-14-2003, 04:34 PM

If there were any weights in the perimeter holes on the pulley, you might have balance problems. Aligning the mark on the hub with the keyway is not correct. The hub mark aligns with the dot on the crank gear.
You can usually see the marks from the keyway on the inside of the hub and align it that way.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:41 AM

I just did mine. Look into the hub and you can see where the key would be. There should be like a discoloration there. I just looked at that and matched it up with the crank.

Quick Reply: Help.....Crankshaft Hub Install ?