LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help adjusting valve lash.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:54 AM

Unhappy Help adjusting valve lash.

anyone here from southern California willing to come help me adjust the valve lash. I've done it 7 times and still can't get it right. either i do it too tight or too loose. either I'm leaking compression or getting that damn tick tick tick noise. I'm tired of doing it but the shops want to rip you off. plus i want to learn.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Re: Help adjusting valve lash.

Stock rockers or what?

How are you adjusting them?

Are you sure it is valve train noise: you need to isolate the noise.

Tell us a bit more.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:45 PM

they are aluminum gm roller rockers that come with the hotcam kit. the car has ticking noise from cylinder #2 or #4. I adjusted them using thegroup method where you set #1 tdc then do them in groups, turn crank do the next group. the car is misfiring you can see the engine shake.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:07 PM

If you got roller rockers and poly locks, its so simple. Pop off the valve covers, turn the car on and loosen all the rockers on one side of the car just until they tick, then go to each rocker and just hand tight those poly locks, hand tight on poly locks = 0 Lash.

Turn the car off, give it the pre-load (stock is usually 1/2-3/4 of a turn).

Then repeat for the other side.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:13 PM

If you believe that it is a lash problem, I'd adjust each cyl separately. There are 2 basic options for doing this (1) with motor running (1) with motor off.

I prefer the off method--cleaner.

The methods are all over this site if you do a search, but here is the basics:

Get yourself a remote starter switch at autozone for around $15.00.
Hook it up.
Pull coil wire off.
Gear in neutral, brakes on, block tire.
Remove Driver side Valve cover and start with first cyl working your way to the back.

Turn engine over until the exhaust valve just starts to open
Adjust the intake valve.
Cotinue to turn engine over until the intake valve opens all the way and is about half way closed.
Adjust Exhaust Valve.

Do this with each cyl until you complete the bank and then do the Pass side valves.

Procedure: Loosen the poly lock with allen wrench and back off the nut until you can easily twirl the push rod beween your index finger and thumb. Tighten the nut until you get just the slightest resistance which would put your lash at "0" (this situation means that you have the cam lobe on the base circle for that valve and the push RR is just touching the valve.

The object is just to make sure there is no gapping there and to ensure that, you should turn the nut at least 1/4 more (factory recommends 1 full turn. Most here recommend 1/2 turn--assuming you have stock lifters.

Make sure you tighten the poly locks when you are finished.

If you believe it is too noisy, you might try going another 1/2 turn and see if it quiets them down (basically because everyone finds "0" lash at a different point and you might be a bit too loose. Bear in mind, however that Self Aligning RRs are a bit noisey to begin with.

Of course, don't forget to put that coil wire back on or it won't fire at all.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:14 PM

will it spit up a lot of oil ? I have to disconnect a lot of things will it mess anything up if i run the car with those things disconnect? I'm so tired of doing it i might just be willing to get burned a little by hot oil. thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ayalam
will it spit up a lot of oil ? I have to disconnect a lot of things will it mess anything up if i run the car with those things disconnect? I'm so tired of doing it i might just be willing to get burned a little by hot oil. thanks
#1. The oil doesn't get nearly hot enough to burn you unless you leave it running for a good 15 minutes, this should take 2 minutes per side.

#2. Oil might drip depending on how good your oil pressure is, if you have a auto, its even easier because the engine idles at 600 rpm rather than 800.

#3. If your scared of dripping oil, move the car out into the street or get some cardboard and put it where the oil would fall (right next to the head).
Old 06-06-2005, 02:21 PM

mines idles at 900 i've heard that this is probably the easiest way. I'm going to try it. what makes me mad is that after 7 times taking the alternator on and off i get frustrated. I'm gonna try it.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:24 PM

I hear you, but poly locks are simple and easy to adjust. I hate ball and nut rockers .
Old 06-06-2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ayalam
they are aluminum gm roller rockers that come with the hotcam kit. the car has ticking noise from cylinder #2 or #4. I adjusted them using thegroup method where you set #1 tdc then do them in groups, turn crank do the next group. the car is misfiring you can see the engine shake.
Just because the engine is shaking doesn't mean that it's misfiring. My engine shakes all the time.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:50 PM

With such a "loud" sound system, I wouldn't rely much on my ability to adjust according to the ticking. Seriously, I'm sure you have heard this a million times, but loud music will, not (can) damage your hearing beyond repair.

It's like smoking: everyone knows they shoudn't but do anyway.

I know this is not a tech answer, but just thought I give you some food for thought. But who knows, maybe in a few years they will discover a way to undo hearing loss caused by excessively loud music.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:25 PM

My music is loud too loud i've outgrown it. most of the time i fade the subs out. The sound system is the best performing part about the car, I've taken great detail with it. I know somethings wrong because the exhaust smells like unburned fuel and the intake smells like gas in it sometimes. I know somethings wrong because i only pulled on a mustang gt by a little bit, before i put all the performance stuff i would of them. will the little lope of the hotcam cause the engine to shake?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:27 PM

To help my hearing i used one of those microphones (turned up all the way of course) and it's a miss.