LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Heads quest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 AM

Heads quest?

Im getting ready to do a small build-up on a stock '97 LT1 and have a question about the heads. Money is an issue with this and i already have a Comp Cam, dont know specs off hand, but im trying to find out which is cheaper...

Should i just get someone to port my heads, or buy heads off someone like L.E.? How much am i looking at $ wise both ways, can i send him my heads to get ported also?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Yes, you can do all of the above. But just like everything else, you must establish some specs and limits before you can make a reasonable decision.

You have already indicated that money is an issue----it is with everyone, but you need to elaborate on just how much you want/can spend. You need to determine what you intend to do with the car, i.e, street/strip, strip, daily driver, loud, big lope, stock idle, etc.

For the most part, the cam is selected based on several things including intended performance and use along with the capacity of the heads.

The least expensive would probably be using your stock heads, having them deep pocketed, cleaned up, refurbished, i.e, new guides if necessary, RRs, appropriate springs (valve train in general). You save money by skipping the polishing and excessive labor on the intake and exhaust ports themselves, which aren't that bad in stock form (given that you have a good exhaust system, including headers).

Another option, of course, is getting a good deal on some ported stockers or aftermarket performance heads---given that you can trust the seller's claims.

Buying perf. heads from a vendor or having your heads completely CNC'd with flowing and the whole works can get expensive, but the results are usually exceptional.

I.e, you first need to answer some questions and set you goals and limits before you blindly proceed. JMHO
Old 02-15-2007, 11:37 AM

IMO probably best to go w/ LE or AI... Both have been proven time and again to do some great stuff for the stock ltx heads.. and have pretty well thought out packages.. Going w/ someone local you don't know what your going to get as far as performance, etc...
Old 02-15-2007, 11:52 AM

The car is going to be a daily driver, weekend drag car. Dont want a crazy lope but isnt a really big deal. I have Pacesetter LT's and im going with a True-dual setup, most bolt-ons & 3200 stall. Also, i have Manley double valve springs on the stock heads right now, and doing 1.6RR's & all components with them.

Im looking to get anywhere from 350-400rwhp, prefferably leaning more towards 400. I do like the LE1 H/C package but with just buying the block to work on, money is short because i need to get the block machined and cleaned-up, but the motor is staying stock C.I. So if it is better to just wait to buy a proven package i can, not in a super rush.

Just trying to get best bang for buck within the 350-400rwhp range. So if i can get a head job done cheaper to get me within those ranges ill be happy with that! Dont care about polishing and looks, just how it performs. Also, if i do head porting & cam can i leave the intake alone to get within the HP range or do i need to do some work to that also?

Last edited by Mauiguyy911; 02-15-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:57 AM

Keep in mind Lloyd does offer a "budget" port service as well on top of his other packages.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Keep in mind Lloyd does offer a "budget" port service as well on top of his other packages.
Really looking to get away cheaper than that but if its the better route i would just wait a while till i get some more money.

I did see that, but the $100 difference doesnt seem like much. I would almost rather wait and get the better heads. Im not to keen on flow #'s ect...what type of HP increase between the budgets and better heads on same setup. Just out of curiosity?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mauiguyy911
Really looking to get away cheaper than that but if its the better route i would just wait a while till i get some more money.

I did see that, but the $100 difference doesnt seem like much. I would almost rather wait and get the better heads. Im not to keen on flow #'s ect...what type of HP increase between the budgets and better heads on same setup. Just out of curiosity?
I couldn't tell you, ask Lloyd, he would know the best and is very good about answering questions.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 PM

To be honest w/ ya.. if your looking to get in under lloyd's budget setup.. might wanna hold off till ya can afford to the do the whole job.. it's not just strap heads on and go... might as well do routine maintnance, and what not...
Old 02-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
To be honest w/ ya.. if your looking to get in under lloyd's budget setup.. might wanna hold off till ya can afford to the do the whole job.. it's not just strap heads on and go... might as well do routine maintnance, and what not...
Thats the thing, pretty much have all maintenance issues already taken care of and still have extra money. Really just trying to figure out cheapest way to reach my HP goals i guess. Whether i should use stock heads with a cam, ect.., get my heads mildly ported locally for cheaper, or just buy already ported from L.E.?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

buy a extra set of the older style heads. The 97 are different and a lot of people don't want to mess with them

I would sell the 97 model (561 casting) heads and get some older heads (643/374 casting).

These are thicker and can end up better after larger valves and portwork.
From LE

Last edited by mdacton; 02-15-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:09 PM

I can pm you another great head porter for stock castings...His stuff is also proven time and again....Not high dollar, but definitely high results...

--Alan
Old 02-15-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
buy a extra set of the older style heads. The 97 are different and a lot of people don't want to mess with them

I would sell the 97 model (561 casting) heads and get some older heads (643/374 casting).

These are thicker and can end up better after larger valves and portwork.
From LE
Well i still have my '95 LT1 motor, would those heads work better and if so, will those also transfer to the '97 LT1
Old 02-15-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ABA383
I can pm you another great head porter for stock castings...His stuff is also proven time and again....Not high dollar, but definitely high results...

--Alan
Sure, im open to all suggestions
Banned

yeah they transfer, check the casting number and see whitch ones you have.

Good thing you have some...core are getting harder to come by

Originally Posted by Mauiguyy911
Well i still have my '95 LT1 motor, would those heads work better and if so, will those also transfer to the '97 LT1
They will still work with your 97, the older castings are just a nicer head that Lloyd likes to port with.

Quick Reply: Heads quest?