LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

which heads/cam for me??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:35 AM

which heads/cam for me??

My car has pretty much all the boltons, minus TB and underdrives. My car is a M6 with 3.73's.
I also have spray.

I want some more NA power, and was thinking about the hotcam kit. After some thought, I realize that the motor will be apart to a degree and while I'm in there, if I can find some descent heads without breaking the bank I might as well get those and get a bigger cam. Without a hotcam kit, this means I will have to piece together my own kit, like rockers, springs, pushrods, lifters, etc. I am not up on those things at all, need help picking a good combo for me.

My goal is as follows:

1) street manners, no "revving to the moon" to get power out of it

2) reliabilty, want some good valvetrain components that will last

3) looking for GOOD power, what kind of power can I expect (close to 400rwhp?)

4) Cost is an issue, is it cheaper to have my heads ported by a shop or buy new ones? (I want to stay around 2g's or under for the parts if possible, if this is not, then I might want to reconsider)

5) If the cost is more then 2g's(or the power is not that great), I am considering going for a 440hp crate motor, they are around $5500, is this a better deal to save for this?

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited by Hawk; 03-02-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 AM

Re: which heads/cam for me??

You're not going to be looking at 400rwhp out of that budget.

Might want to look at an LE1 setup for that budget, 370ish rwhp may be possible through a 12 bolt with that. Cam doesn't need to rev too high like you want, torque will be nice, etc.

Stay with your stock castings for now, ported they will outflow the other heads in your price range.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:52 AM

Thumbs up Re: which heads/cam for me??

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
You're not going to be looking at 400rwhp out of that budget.

Might want to look at an LE1 setup for that budget, 370ish rwhp may be possible through a 12 bolt with that. Cam doesn't need to rev too high like you want, torque will be nice, etc.

Stay with your stock castings for now, ported they will outflow the other heads in your price range.
w0rd
Old 03-02-2006, 10:55 AM

nice.

what is a good website for me to look at for these "LE" setups, I looked at thunderacing they just have these few heads, nothing about LE heads.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=114

Brian
Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 AM

LE or advanced induction can get you in with heads and cam for under $2,000, and make some nice power. My best suggestion is to CALL these guys and talk to them. Both will personally spend 1 on 1 time with you on the phone going over you goals and budget

www.advancedinduction.com (advanced induction)
www.eportworks.com (elliot portworks (LE))

Dont forget your 440hp crate motor is 440 FLYWHEEL HP. That wont be anywhere close to 400rwhp

Last edited by atljar; 03-02-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hawk
nice.

what is a good website for me to look at for these "LE" setups, I looked at thunderacing they just have these few heads, nothing about LE heads.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=114

Brian
www.eportworks.com
Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 AM

Thanks for that website.

This "LE2" setup here, for around $1700 looks good, but I have a few questions.

http://www.eportworks.com/LT1LE2.htm

Does that include the cam and everything else(eg rockers, valvesprings, lifters, pushrods) and what else do I need, it says TB and injectors anythign else??

So, LE2 setup plus TB is around 2g's, anything I'm missing here??

I will call these guys as well.

Brian

Last edited by Hawk; 03-02-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:04 AM

That includes the ported heads and custom gorund cam. The heads will be setup with springs, retainers, and locks at the proper height.

Rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters are not included, but they CAN order them for you and get you setup. Depending on your choices for rockers, cam aggressiveness etc, some of these components could just be reused from stock. Thats why you just need to call

You will also need a gasket set. Head gaskets (75ish), intake gasket (20), and timing set (include timing cover, h20 pump, front main, opti seals) gasket (15)
Old 03-02-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by atljar
That includes the ported heads and custom gorund cam. The heads will be setup with springs, retainers, and locks at the proper height.

Rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters are not included, but they CAN order them for you and get you setup. Depending on your choices for rockers, cam aggressiveness etc, some of these components could just be reused from stock. Thats why you just need to call
awesome, looks like maybe I can get a LE2 setup for $2500 with all the stuff I need.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hawk
awesome, looks like maybe I can get a LE2 setup for $2500 with all the stuff I need.
By the way, you need to ship your heads to Lloyd to be ported. he doesn't provide heads. You coudl save some $$ by skipping the TB. The stocker can feed a good amount of air. You may see 2-3 HP if you upgreade... not worth $300 to me.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:16 AM

Or even better buy a set on ebay, and send those to him. Once you do the swap just put your stockers on ebay. It eliminates tons of downtime.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:17 AM

That's a good way to do it.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:27 AM

thats a good idea about the downtime, but downtime is not a concern for me really. I have a daily driver truck and I'm going to do the heads/cam swap myself, it's going to take me awhile another week or 2 isn't going to kill me

This is also the first time I've attempted heads/cam work, but I do have a mechanic friend of mine that will help me thru it that build 3 lt1's, so this will be a learning experience as well. I want to do all the work myself, just ask for help when I need it.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 AM

Thats how you learn! (And thats why we are here for when you get stuck, post up!)
Old 03-02-2006, 12:15 PM

$2500 is a good number, but little things start to add up.

I just spent $120 on stuff to degree my cam, thread chaser, arp lube and sealant, so keep that in mind.

I would figure $3k.

Quick Reply: which heads/cam for me??