LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Headers....which way is easier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 04:12 PM

Headers....which way is easier?

Ill be getting MAC headers soon and am trying to figure out the best way to put 'em in. Obviously, I could do it the normal way and try to hassle em in there. But would it be easier, if I had access to a lift and all the proper tools, to simply drop the engine out the bottom? It seems to me that once the engine was out, it would be extremely simple to pop the headers on there. It would also be easy to route the OTVC wires with the engine out. Are motor mounts able to be changed with the motor out of the car? Thanks guys!
Old 05-04-2005, 04:36 PM

Re: Headers....which way is easier?

Whoa just put them in from the bottom, no need to move the motor or anything, they slip right in it take like 10 seconds to get them in. the passenger side might be a little difficlut but you just have to get in on the right angle and it will slid right up.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:59 PM

I'd just put them in the old fashioned way. It took me about 3 hrs to get the motor out the bottom my first time. So i would say you are gonna have 6 hrs in just removing the motor. If you are lucky and things go well a header install through the top can be done in 6-10. Mac's would be easy to install too. Here are some install links to Mac headers.
http://www.fastblackcar.com/camaro/mac_headers.html
http://ken.lowrance.com/projects/Hea...derInstall.htm
Old 05-04-2005, 05:39 PM

well, my friend works at a dealership and hes pretty confident we could get it out and back in in about 4 hours. So im almost thinking that it might be the better way to go, simply cuz itll be much easier.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:42 PM

Im just thinking cuz ive seen lots of people sayin it takes about 10 hours or so to get them doin it normal, so if we coudl get the motor out and back in, in like 4 and maybe waste an hour putting the headers and wires on, then it would be well worth it.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:48 PM

well here is something to look at. what if in the process of taking the motor out a bolt snaps off or something else brakes.... just a thought anything is possible. my 94 z28- i had to remove the steering arm-starter and i think the oil dipstick. my motor mounts needed replaced so that could have been part of my issue. but it will take some time no matter what anyone says.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:53 PM

If you do drop the motor out the bottom, you need to get the car realigned, the A/C discharged then recharged, and bleed the brakes again. So factor that in.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:00 PM

it takes 10 hours to do everything(if not longer) that includes getting the car on stands getting the old exhaust off, getting the plugs out, cleaning off the old gaskets, getting the new stuff in, aligning the exhaust, hooking up the y-pipe, connecting it to your exhaust dealing with the emmissions, there is a lot of stuff that goes into a header install, not just slipping the new stuff in, also you have to take into account if something breaks, or if you strip a bolt, or if a bolt breaks off
Old 05-04-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
If you do drop the motor out the bottom, you need to get the car realigned, the A/C discharged then recharged, and bleed the brakes again. So factor that in.
Why would you need to get the car aligned? Not saying you wouldnt, just wondering why.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Why would you need to get the car aligned? Not saying you wouldnt, just wondering why.
I believe unless you get the shocks back in the same place it ruins your caster or camber. I had to get mine realigned and the shop i got it done at said if you unhook the shocks you have to get the car realigned.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:23 PM

I think you would be better off leaving the engine in, and you would have to have your car realigned.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:06 PM

Take it from experience, leave the motor in and put them in from the bottom.

Dan
Old 05-05-2005, 01:55 AM

If you have the tools to pull the motor, you are probably a lot better equipped than most people that go into header installs, and it will take you a lot less time. Especially with yours/the people's around you's knowledge. If you know what your doing and have a couple guys helping ya out, it should go by in no time.

Or, if you're really set on pulling the motor, find something else that CAN'T be done with it in the car, or something that will save you A LOT of time... might as well throw a cam in...

Last edited by fredmr39; 05-05-2005 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:09 AM

i completely agree with the cam idea, cam's in these cars aren't easy in the least. Front the extra couple dollars for a really nice cam and lifter set up and do that while the engine's out.. will really wake the headers up i think...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:04 AM

I just helped throw in a set of Pacesetters from under the car.... it only took us about 6 hours total (that included removing some "extra weight" .

Quick Reply: Headers....which way is easier?