LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header Time Check List

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 08:48 PM

Smile Header Time Check List

Hey all
finally decided to get the headers probably because I got a very good deal on the used ones. All the work will probably be done by me and my friend who's far from being mechanically challenged but never worked on the 4 gen. In any case I have a few questions before a frustrating weekend which might end up on the tole truck driving me to my mechanic who I'm sure will have a good laugh.
Ok - here is an item list that I made and just wondering if it's all that I need?

1. RK Sports headers, Y pipe and a gutted Cat.
2. Stage 8 bolts
3. Gaskets - haven't bought them yet but will defiantly go with the FelPro as soon as I find out the right part number. As far as I know it's #1406 ?????
4. Bosh spark plugs
6. MSD LT1 wires
?7? should I get some heat proof sleeves for wires or just lay them carefully.
8. 2 jack stands and a whole garage of tools
9. case of 24 buds

I have done plenty of work on the car but nothing that shops charge for 10 hours. Any tips, advices and articles will be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Alex
Old 06-02-2003, 09:04 PM

I just did mine two weeks ago. Air tools are a plus, if you dont have some rent them. Trust me you will thank me. Second if your wires are still stock GM put some nice heat-sheilds on the plug end that you can re-use.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by 5thCamaro
I just did mine two weeks ago. Air tools are a plus, if you dont have some rent them. Trust me you will thank me. Second if your wires are still stock GM put some nice heat-sheilds on the plug end that you can re-use.
Thank you for reply
I wish I had an air tools The only thing i need Is a compresor and he rest I can borrow from work. The wires are stock but I'll probably change them to a nice set of MSD's which dusting up in my garage for about a year now.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Banned

stock wires i'd use heat shielding

MSD's i think hold up better to heat... its not hard to route the wires. comming off the passenger side make an immediate 90 degree turn to the back of the car and you'll find the perfect place to route wires and not get a single burnt one.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:17 PM

TTT
Anybody on the part # for on the FelPro
Thanks
Old 06-04-2003, 01:28 AM

I used Mr Gasket Copperseal 7154 is the part # I think.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:45 AM

I used some copper RTV sealant on my slip tube, and on the gaskets. Not sure if it sealed them any better. Optional I guess.

I also used anti-sieze on all the bolts, make sure you have that... makes them easier to get out later.

I also had a big can of Bust A Nut or whatever it is, loosens up old, rusted, nuts and bolts. Spray it on and let it soak.

I had my headers coated by JetHot... I'm not familiar with the RK Sport, something to consider if they're uncoated. I left the y-pipe and OR pipe as is.

New O2 sensors. Probably a waste since my car only had 24K on it, but I thought I'd replace them while I was down there. Depending on your mileage, something to think about.

I didn't bother with heat sleeves. I did use an OTVC setup though, which you may want to do. On both sides, the first plug wires I didn't even bother routing OTVC, I just sent them straight to the Opti.

EGR block off plates, AIR removal stuff, etc. The EGR was a hassle for me, wish I would have had the block off plates back then. Instead, they're on a shelf now collecting dust. Anyways, this is a perfect time to do these mods. The EGR isn't a big deal, but I had some trouble with my EGR tube, and had to chop it apart. The AIR is easy to get to, easier to do later. But a good thing to remove IMO, helps with plug changes and such.