LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header Swap - Final Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Header Swap - Final Parts List

I'm looking to order the rest of the parts for a Header Swap on my 1997 Camaro SS. Am I missing anything?

Here's what I have:
PaceSetter QuikTrip Long Tube Headers, ARMOR*Coat, Race Version
Custom ORY (From a '95 Z28 with Pacesetter LT's)
Fel-Pro #1406 Header Gaskets
!AIR/!EGR Blockoffs

Here's what I'm looking to order:
3/8-16in x 1" Percy's Split-Lock Header Bolts
2 24" o2 Extensions, Flat Connectors (Might pass on this and wire my own extensions using the Pacesetter kit)

Anything else? Tune will come in the near future. I have stuff for an oil change (I also need to delete my Oil Cooler). Planning on changing the o2's after the tune. Plugs/Wires are fairly new (~20k)

Going on a '97 SS. Car currently has Edelbrock TES Shortys, Stock Y-pipe, and the factory 2OTL catback.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 PM

You should probably get spark plug wire protectors, at least on my SLP mids they are very very close. Been installing mine over the past week an hour or 2 at a time.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Might want to route the wires otvc while your down there.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by sz28
Might want to route the wires otvc while your down there.
i second that. When i first started running my Z after the LT install i burnt up a couple sets of wires. OTVC wires and some fire proof sleeves is what i did. Best investment ive made with the LT install.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Please post the difference in power. I have the same headers on my 97 SS and dont know if it is worth it to go long tubes.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Here's what i used

Pacesetter Lt's
Pacesetter y pipe
Mr Gasket - Copper Header Gaskets
ARP Header Bolts (Shouldve used the 1" which you can get from ARP i believe they are labelled as intake bolts... makes it way easier to get your bolts started while having clearance to make sure you dont cross thread your threads in the head)
new plugs
new wires
o2 extensions 12" and 24"
new o2 sensors
black zip ties (a must for your plug wires if your running them in the stock location unless you want to be replacing your wires all the time)
Use stock metal plug boots on # 5 and 6 cylinders to angle wires off the primary's
Lots of PB Blaster penetrating lube for the stock manifold and y pipe bolts
Lastly... lots of patience its not a fun job specially on the ground.

Any questions just about your install just ask...

Last edited by 95mysticta; 02-04-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added to list
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 AM

You'll also need some heat shielding for the heater box..the headers are mighty close. I used the self adhesive foil faced material from DEI...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Here's what i used

Pacesetter Lt's
Pacesetter y pipe
Mr Gasket - Copper Header Gaskets
ARP Header Bolts (Shouldve used the 1" which you can get from ARP i believe they are labelled as intake bolts... makes it way easier to get your bolts started while having clearance to make sure you dont cross thread your threads in the head)
new plugs
new wires
o2 extensions 12" and 24"
new o2 sensors
black zip ties (a must for your plug wires if your running them in the stock location unless you want to be replacing your wires all the time)
Use stock metal plug boots on # 5 and 6 cylinders to angle wires off the primary's
Lots of PB Blaster penetrating lube for the stock manifold and y pipe bolts
Lastly... lots of patience its not a fun job specially on the ground.

Any questions just about your install just ask...
X2. I used the same basic parts exept I used the bolts and gaskets (yes, the cheap paper ones )that came with the headers Just make sure to check/re-torque bolts after a couple heat cycles and a few times after that. It'll sound great thru the TOTL! I think mine does!!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:24 AM

I would never over the anything plug wires Route them right and you'll be fine.

I have Breslin locking header bolts on my 94, but on my 95 I'm trying 6 point ARP's. The 12 point breslins were hard to use since you could only use close end wrenches and sockets.

I removed the manifolds and Y tonight. Broke all but 1 Y pipe bolt, but the manifold bolts werent too hard. All the manifold bolts except the rear two on the passenger are easy from the top.

Don't forget sparkplugs.

-Dustin-
Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
I would never over the anything plug wires Route them right and you'll be fine.

I have Breslin locking header bolts on my 94, but on my 95 I'm trying 6 point ARP's. The 12 point breslins were hard to use since you could only use close end wrenches and sockets.

I removed the manifolds and Y tonight. Broke all but 1 Y pipe bolt, but the manifold bolts werent too hard. All the manifold bolts except the rear two on the passenger are easy from the top.

Don't forget sparkplugs.

-Dustin-
Luckily, my car has shortys that have been on the car 2-3 years so it should be a little easier to remove than stock manifolds. I'm running the Breslin's too... They are the same as the Percy's.

I plan on routing my plug wires, o2 wires, etc. with black zip ties so that's not an issue and I plan on picking up a can of pb blaster and soaking the y pipe/header bolts. Plugs/wires/o2's are okay and I plan on replacing them in another year or so.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 PM

y not run the OTVC wires Dustin?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 PM

you are way too thorough with this stuff eric
Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
you are way too thorough with this stuff eric
I still need to get the bolts/gaskets/etc. for the y pipe. Also thinking about painting it.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by RS96Silver
y not run the OTVC wires Dustin?
Because you can get away without spending extra money on specialty long wires, looms, etc and just run them right the first time. Not to mention you have to screw with them to check or make any adjustments under your valve covers. All that hassle and money isn't worth it when it doesn't really keep you from burning anything. I also think they look God awful and clutter things up.

-Dustin-
Old 02-10-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
Because you can get away without spending extra money on specialty long wires, looms, etc and just run them right the first time. Not to mention you have to screw with them to check or make any adjustments under your valve covers. All that hassle and money isn't worth it when it doesn't really keep you from burning anything. I also think they look God awful and clutter things up.

-Dustin-
That's why I'm not running them. I bought everything else for the swap last night. Only thing I need now is some bolts for the y-pipe/collectors, PB blaster, and maybe some 02 sensors extensions (I think I'm going to run the pacesetter extensions for now... and I'll buy extensions when I replace the o2's a year from now)

Quick Reply: Header Swap - Final Parts List