LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Head/Cam Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:03 PM

Head/Cam Package

I'm gonna be rebuilding my 95 Z28 in the near future. My daughter done some front end damage and being it has 235,000 miles on it, it now is a project car. While it's down for the damage I'm gonna do alot of rebuilding. This car will NOT be a daily driver. It will be driven on weekends mainly. I doubt it will ever see the track but would like alot more than I have now. Right now it's stock besides flowmaster exhaust and K&N CAI. It's got the stock 2.73 gears so I know I want to put something else back there. Thinking about 3.73's. It won't be drivin much so fuel mileage isn't a big deal. All that being said, has anyone used or heard reviews on these head/cam packages? http://www.eportworks.com/lt1.html I would love to do a LT4 upgrade but can't afford to do that. Any other suggestions will be considered as well. Thanks.
Shawn
Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Banned

search around you will find what your looking for.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 PM

^^^

Two popular companies are Elliot Portworks and Advanced Induction, you can search on here and find loads of information about both of them. For a weekend cruiser I think your idea of a 3.73 gear would be good. A lot of people daily drive the LE1 and LE2 packages, me being one of them, so you would at least want to start higher than those if you go LE. I don't know very much about the AI packages, but one member here recently got his package imstalled so you can PM him and ask or maybe he will chime in here. His name is speed_demon. I'm not sure who else runs an AI package, but searching should turn some up.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 PM

How much are you going to spend?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kurt Crosbie
How much are you going to spend?
I don't really have a dollar amount in mind. It's gonna be a long process no matter what I do. I'm gonna end up rebuilding the engine, trans, and rear end. Plus replacing all the interier. The inside is trashed from years of abuse from the wife and kids. I'm buying a '94 V6 Camaro parts car to replace the front end that my daughter tore up. Also using that car for the interier.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:53 AM

I'd pick up a decent short block with some forged rods, and arp bolts on the mains and rods. You could get away with some good hyper pistons and cast crank with a heads/cam car. I've used 2 sets of LE heads on my car and was very happy with the power. I'd highly suggest getting the heads/cam in a matching package.

But more so than the engine I'd put larger brakes on that car, larger front sway bar, subframe connectors, shocks... and everything that will improve the integrity of the car, make the car handle and stop better.. The brake upgrade and suspension upgrade on my car is probably equal to the enjoyment i get from the heads/cam package.

The guys who run heads/cam with stock brakes.... thats scarey
Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 AM

If you want to keep it LT1, go 383 with some LE3 heads, custom grind from Bret, and an Accel Pro Ram single plane intake.

If it will not see the strip, the rear end is not that crucial. If you are going to put slicks on it, get a dana 60 rear end and a 4l80e transmission. You will also want to get the proper suspension supporting mods.

If you don't mind spending the extra time to get things done and spend about the same or a little less money, take my route.

I'm building a 427 with an SBC 400 block and using the DART Pro 1 Platinum heads with Accel Pro Ram. The extra cubes allow for a milder street set up and also a pretty fast track setup when I need it.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Banned

The extra cubes allow for a milder street set up and also a pretty fast track setup when I need it.
whats pretty fast? what does your run?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:10 AM

If you want to keep it LT1, go 383 with some LE3 heads, custom grind from Bret, and an Accel Pro Ram single plane intake.

If it will not see the strip, the rear end is not that crucial. If you are going to put slicks on it, get a dana 60 rear end and a 4l80e transmission. You will also want to get the proper suspension supporting mods.

If you don't mind spending the extra time to get things done and spend about the same or a little less money, take my route.

I'm building a 427 with an SBC 400 block and using the DART Pro 1 Platinum heads with Accel Pro Ram. The extra cubes allow for a milder street set up and also a pretty fast track setup when I need it.
I highlighted the ONLY part he got right for you. The 383 part is debatable depending on your goals.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shawnster95Z28
I would love to do a LT4 upgrade but can't afford to do that. Any other suggestions will be considered as well. Thanks.
Shawn
If he can't/doesn't want to spend the money on a LT4 setup then he definitely shouldn't be doing a LE3 383 with a ProRam. The LT4 package is what, 2500 or so? I would say LE2 or something comparable, from LE that $1700, I'm not sure what it is from AI. Even cheaper would be just get the heads done $1400, and then decide on a common proven cam like GM847 and you can look in the classifieds for a used one fairly cheap. Then you can even save money on a mail order tune instead of a $400 dyno tune. You might even get lucky and find an old setup from someone in the classifieds who is upgrading and that would make it even cheaper. Look for speed_demon24, I'm not sure if he still has his old setup or not, it was a LE2 package. He had some issues with the heads, but he either got them fixed or you could buy them as is and get a little machine work done and you'd be all set.

Edit: https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=568594

Last edited by ulakovic22; 01-06-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Link to classifieds
Old 01-06-2008, 09:42 AM

847 on a stock shortblock is a bad choice.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Are you talking on a 355 or just the stock components because of the RPM's needed? I was just saying a popular cam like 305, 306, 847, etc so he can find one used and it can be tuned easily mail order because there are a ton of them out there. With 235K miles I would assume he's having it rebuilt?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:20 AM

I honestly wouldn't run it in anything, but the stock shortblock thing was mostly because of rpm.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:26 AM

All he said is that he is going to rebuild the engine. He didn't give a price limit. I just think going with big cubes is more practical for street use. Then again, I have not even built an entire engine yet (ever), so I don't know what all the costs would add up to at this point. I just know that I have a friend that builds engines, and he said I would spent the same kind of money getting a stroker done as I would with a stock stroke.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM

With that mileage, also consider changing the timing chain & gears. You'll need to get a price to get the necessary components then use the rest for the add ons.

Quick Reply: Head/Cam Package