LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Have you installed a Water Pump before?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 09:09 PM

Have you installed a Water Pump before?

If you have I'm hoping you can give me some advice. When installing the new Water Pump (standard W/P not an electric) do you apply RTV or some other sealent to the threads of the (6) W/P bolts to prevent leakage? If so, what type of sealant?

Lastly, what are the probabilities that it would leak if the incorrect amount or type of sealant isn't used?

Thanks for your input. The input I've received from this board is extremely helpful while doing this whole Opti, Water Pump and spark plug swap out.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Re: Have you installed a Water Pump before?

Thread sealant on the bolts is recommended. It's available at nearly any auto parts store.

May/may not leak without any sealant or some other type of sealant (like RTV). Loose bits of RTV are good for clogging up your cooling system.

Last edited by shoebox; 06-06-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:53 AM

use a thread sealant with the water pump bolts. dont cheap out. your opti is right below it, and take it from someone that just changed their opti at 3 am last weekend. you dont wanna have to do that. changing the pump is actually pretty easy, just time consuming...oh, and take the fan housing out...makes life sooooo much easier.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:15 AM

Thanks gentlemen for the input. I figured it needed sealant but I wasn't quite sure.

All I need is my new Opti unit (should arrive today) and I can start buttoning things up. I've had my car tore apart for a week or so now and when I put it back together I want it to be the last time I do it. I have many hours in it so far removing the spark plugs, spark plug wires, Opti, water pump and alternator et al. I've replaced seals amongst other things as board memebers had recommended becasue I want it done right.

Again many thanks to the people who gave advice,direction and words of wisdom. And most of all Shoebox's website which is phenominal!!

Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 89TTA/95 TA Vert
I've had my car tore apart for a week or so now
hahahahahhahaha!!! thats it! a week!! i can do that standing on my head! my cars been disabled for 3 weeks and counting !!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:08 AM

I use on old type of sealant called Indian Head. It is in a little brown bottle. On the WP gaskets and the bolts. This acts as more of a glue than an RTV type gasket maker. Never had one leak due to a gasket, had a pump crack once, but thats a diff story. Also, do a good job dressing the block, I use an air angle grinder with a 3M pad to remove all the old material. Worth the time, believe me.

-Paul
Old 06-07-2005, 08:17 AM

i just did an electric pump install, and from beginign to end the whole job took just about 5 hours, i took the fans out, VERY EASY, they just rest there. and it gives you so much more area to work with, remember to get a lot of shop towels because there will be a lot of coolant everywhere.. you cant avoid that, there will be les if you drain the radiator. heres a walkthrough, its for the CSR electric pump, but it can still give you a good idea as to what needs to be done!

http://ken.lowrance.com/projects/CSI...mp/Default.htm
Old 06-07-2005, 12:10 PM

I had a hell of a time taking the fans out on my car, or rather putting them in!
My pump was changed just a few weeks ago and it took a good 5 hours for me to do. You will need to also remove your AIR pump when doing the install if its still on your car.

LOTS of shop towels because this Re&Re is a very messy one! Coolant will spill all over with almost everything you unhook lol. Be ready for a sticky old gasket to take off as well, it wasn't hte easiest getting the old gasket off on my car. Make sure you have a nice clean mating surface to ensure no leaks