LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Has anyone had a Comp Cam dowel too long for a vented opti?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:22 PM

Has anyone had a Comp Cam dowel too long for a vented opti?

Has anyone had a Comp Cam dowel too long for a vented opti? Just curious because I didnt actually match the two dowels up because I saw it was the longer one and that there was only two types. Just curious if anyone had any problems with one being "too long" even for a vented opti?
Old 04-16-2003, 10:05 PM

I had that problem with my cc306, I just grinded down the new pin till it fit
Old 04-16-2003, 10:17 PM

Yep, I just experienced this and ground it down about two weeks ago before the install. One would think the cam manufacturers would get this stuff figured out by now. I mean it is not like these opti-sparked SBCs are new to the world.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:24 PM

Here is a comparison of my stock cam (pin length ~ .650) and the CC cam (pin length ~.840). The depth of the hole in the opti drive is ~.440. I measured the protrusion of the stock pin from the front of the stock cam gear to be ~.410.

I don't know how close the opti drive sits to the front of the cam gear. So, how long is too long? Not sure. It sure seemed like the CC pin would be too long. I ground the CC pin down to the length of the stock one.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:40 PM

SHoebox, I'd have to believe that an .840" dowel would ruin the bearing in an opti in short order based on the info I've been given and from my observation.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:45 PM

My god! This is probably my problem, I didnt even measure the old one. I heard that if its too long it will put stress on the bearing, which is probably true. Shoebox, do you think this could cause all my problems? (glowing headers, wont idle) from a broken opti? It didnt happen instantly, more like overnight...

Last edited by Rodrigues; 04-16-2003 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by Don 97 SS
SHoebox, I'd have to believe that an .840" dowel would ruin the bearing in an opti in short order based on the info I've been given and from my observation.
Well, that is what I was thinking and I figured I could not go wrong making it the same length as what just came out.

I wish now, that I had used some clay or something to test to see just how close the end of the stock dowel came to the inside of the opti drive. I'm not taking it apart, now!
Old 04-16-2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Rodrigues
My god! This is probably my problem, I didnt even measure the old one. I heard that if its too long it will put stress on the bearing, which is probably true. Shoebox, do you think this could cause all my problems? (glowing headers, wont idle) from a broken opti?
If it pushes on the the drive, it could deflect the shutter wheel and give errors, perhaps. It would definitely destroy the bearing in a short time.

The question is, are all the CC pins the same length?
Old 04-16-2003, 10:56 PM

Did you get your XE 224/230 cam from the big Cmotorsports group purchase with the CM618 springs? I think I got mine from the same batch as yours meaning my dowel for my XE 224/230 is probably the same as yours and needs to be ground.

Originally posted by shoebox
Here is a comparison of my stock cam (pin length ~ .650) and the CC cam (pin length ~.840). The depth of the hole in the opti drive is ~.440. I measured the protrusion of the stock pin from the front of the stock cam gear to be ~.410.

I don't know how close the opti drive sits to the front of the cam gear. So, how long is too long? Not sure. It sure seemed like the CC pin would be too long. I ground the CC pin down to the length of the stock one.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:01 PM

Oh yeah, and I also thought I hear a squeeking when it "broke" from the front of the engine, almost like a squeeking belt. I am pretty sure that was the bearing spinning crooked inside the opti.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Rodrigues
Did you get your XE 224/230 cam from the big Cmotorsports group purchase with the CM618 springs? I think I got mine from the same batch as yours meaning my dowel for my XE 224/230 is probably the same as yours and needs to be ground.
Probably got mine before the GP but is was close in time. Remember I won the springs. Mine is a 114 lsa 224/230. (not that it makes any difference as far as cam dowel )

I have read other posts of folks having to shave down the dowel, so it does not appear to be an isolated thing. I think one guy went through 3 optis (one per week) before the dowel was proven to be the culprit-and it was a CC cam.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:09 AM

cant you just pull out the pin from the stock cam and place it in the other cam? i better check my XE for this i guess before i put it in... i had no idea it was such a big problem.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:49 AM

yes i had asked seth about dowel lengths and he told me the exact length for a vented and nonvented.

cc. just throws a dowel in and expects you to cut it to your needed length. they should include a paper stating proper pin length for each year.

i just wonder, could cc. be liable for opti damages, cuz it should be sent with the correct length pin for your vehicle when specially ordered right? hmmm.
slap those guys on the wrist, that's BS.

anyway, anyone installing ANY cam should check the length to be sure it's correct for their car, some have to do opti sparks for other chains requiring the longer pins.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:17 AM

At least I know what the problem is now, thanks.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:54 PM

We went through 3 opti's on my buddies firebird because of dowel pin legnth. Busted the bearings on all of them.
ALWAYS CHECK THE LEGNTH OF THE DOWEL PIN.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had a Comp Cam dowel too long for a vented opti?