LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hard to start/running rich

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 06:35 AM

Hard to start/running rich

The car is a 92 Vette with a 383.

1. Takes a couple tries to start when it's been sitting for awhile. This morning it was cold out and it didn't want to start at all.

2. When I'm cranking and cranking and if hold the gas pedal to the floor as I stop cranking a puff of white smoke comes out the intake.

3. When it's running it doesn't smoke or smell like coolant anywhere. I'm not low on coolant nor is there any in the oil.

4. It didn't want to catch it's idle the other day and died going down the road. It started right back up fine. That was a one time deal and hasn't done it since. I've probably driven it 100 miles since then at least.

I have changed:

1. Fuel pump (it was bad, fuel was leaking back out of fuel rail, fuel pressure seems fine now)

2. Spark plugs except two. Going to swap out the last two when it warms up a little today.

3. Driver's side sparkplug wires. One of them melted against my headers. I'm doing the passenger side (easy side) today also.

I'm getting worried because while i haven't replaced the plugs and wires fully yet i haven't seen any improvement so i don't think those are causing my problems.

I don't have a scanner that scans anything (except codes) and while i haven't seen an SES light i am going to check that today just to see if any are stored.

I'm running out of ideas here. Airflow isn't blocked, Gas is in the fuel rail and not leaking and when it's started it's getting some spark because it runs (rich, but runs).
Old 11-04-2006, 06:59 AM

well last year my trans am was having trouble starting and i fixed it with a new vacum line coming from the trottle body to the EVAP canister purge solinoid valve . i would check those to see if they are cracked.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:45 AM

I'll give it a look. Soon as I get it running right it's going up for sale.