LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

'h' shaped shim in rear caliper pads!!! help please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 05:38 PM

'h' shaped shim in rear caliper pads!!! help please!!!!!

i dunno where to put the h shim or how to put it
i also dunno how to put the pads because they dont have any clips to hold them to the piston or ext.
helpppppppp
thanks
Old 03-17-2003, 06:04 PM

well, do you have LS1 or LT1. I just put on LS1 so what i'm going to say might also aply to LT1. But with the whole caliper on the knuckle, take off only the caliper, but leave on the caliper bracket. While the caliper off you should be able to see where the clips slide in. here is a site that helped me. http://www.installuniversity.com/

Look very closely and i'm sure you will be able to figure it out. Like i said this is for LS1 but i can't see how different it would be to do the same for LT1.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:05 PM

I had the problem with the h-shaped shim falling off my old rear caliper when I was installing the pads..

I don't know how I'm going to explain to you where it goes over the web.. um.. the "H" should lie parallen to the floor, then tilt it up at a 45 degree angle, with the rear part being higher than the lower part of the shim.

If you do that and hold it up to the caliper, you should get a feel for where it goes - memory is kind of fuzzy for me but I think it went on the inner part of the caliper.. it'll fit right in there, you'll figure it out. good luck.

ps - oh yeah, the caliperas will just "sit" in the groove made out for them ,at least in the rears. Just push in the piston with a C-clamp, pull off the clamp, push in the pad, and then slide the caliper back on - its pretty easy.

When you first start the car, pump the brakes on and off a couple times to flush the piston back down. Your brake pads will probably squeal for the first 10 miles or so - mine did. I would just go up to 25mph and get on the brakes really hard (not hard enough to have abs kick in, but you know). I hear that'll make the squealing go away faster....
Old 03-17-2003, 06:07 PM

This may help with the H shim.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:56 PM

i still dont get how to put the pads in because they have that clip in the botom and i dont know where that goes please help
Old 03-18-2003, 12:36 AM

As far as those pads and clips are concerned, they should only take a little wiggling and pushing to get it fit and snug.

And that H clip, it was bothering me with falling off during reinstall that I simply left it off! No problems without them, at least for the last 1k or whatever. I'm not saying you should do it Just be patient. To me the H clip looked meaningless.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by ponyackn
As far as those pads and clips are concerned, they should only take a little wiggling and pushing to get it fit and snug.

And that H clip, it was bothering me with falling off during reinstall that I simply left it off! No problems without them, at least for the last 1k or whatever. I'm not saying you should do it Just be patient. To me the H clip looked meaningless.

Same here,I left it off(the clip) with no problems, installing the rear pads is easy,do it once and you never have a problem again unless you buy the cheapo generic ones.

Only do one side at a time that way you have a guide to go by.

Undo only the upper caliper bolt,swing caliper down out of bracket.

Using large channell lock pliers press the caliper piston in. Remove old pads(twist the clips)its easier to press the piston back with the old pad on.

Make sure you use some good disc brake pad quiet goop,let it set until it skins.

Install new pads,wiggling the clips through the opening.You may need some needle nose pliers.

Push caliper up into bracket and tighten bolt to spec. It may be tight getting it over the rotor,try pressing the piston in farther,do not use your new pads!! to squeeze it back.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:19 AM

thanks im at school so im gonna try it when i get home
Old 03-18-2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by cridom
thanks im at school so im gonna try it when i get home
Email or PM me if you need a couple of pics. I just took a few while rotating my tires.

[edit]

Nevermind. Here:

Last edited by shoebox; 03-18-2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:44 PM

not to be rude or anything, but you shoulda of remembered how the pads came off. I mean changing the rear brake pads was one of the easiest things I have done to my car. And go to autozone and but a manual.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:10 PM

thanks a lot for the pics i think ill work
Old 03-20-2003, 11:32 PM

i heard somewhere that you need to readjust the e-brack free travle after rear brake changes?? any truth to this??
Old 03-20-2003, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by ucantZme
i heard somewhere that you need to readjust the e-brack free travle after rear brake changes?? any truth to this??
Not unless you have a problem with it or it had been adjusted when the brakes were worn down.