LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Granatelli MAF Sensor with Madz28 Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 04:48 PM

Granatelli MAF Sensor with Madz28 Tuning

My friend's dad installed a Granatelli MAF after he fixed the car and I've heard bad things about them. Can I just leave it on and have madz28.com tune it or will they run into problems with it? Or maybe they'll not be able to get as much power as they should out of the tune because of the Granatelli?

If so, does the Granatelli come apart just like the stock MAF? That way I could still use the MAF ends and just switch to the stock sensor. Please let me know what I should do.
FLeX
Old 10-08-2004, 05:57 PM

Re: Granatelli MAF Sensor with Madz28 Tuning

I've been running a Granatelli for over 8 years with no problems and I even picked up a tenth and 1 mph by using it...I didn't retune the car after the install...
--Alan
Old 10-08-2004, 06:06 PM

usually when changing maf how I FOUND OUT IT LEANS IT OUT A LITTLE my stock one went ot put new one on there had to get it tuned again 12.8 a/f I wouldnt tune it anymore unless on dyno......
Old 10-08-2004, 06:14 PM

I've had mine for 4 years now no problems and it works great with the S/C I've been running for the last 2 months.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:14 PM

The granatelli CAN temporarily cause a power gain when used with stock tuning, it tricks the pcm into thinking less air is comming in than what really is, stock tuning is overly rich so that can boost power, but with the help of the O2s the pcm will see what is happening and learn out the gains. The calibrations for the Granatelli are unknown so a tuner will have a harder time tuning for it than for a stocker. You can get more power and keep it by swapping back to the stocker and getting the pcm reprogrammed for the right AFR. The stock MAF is nowhere near a restriction till you are making very serious power.

There is not one single good reason to use a Granatelli, why spend $300 to temporarily trick the pcm, when real custom tuning will gain you more and only cost $50 or so. You will not find a truely knowledgable person recommending a Granatelli(sorry but I call em like I see em), it is better to run a stock MAF with accurate calibration and address the AFR IN the pcm not by tricking it.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:43 PM

Very true. Save your money and go with some decent tuning from madz28.com (Ion)
Old 10-08-2004, 07:36 PM

I've heard both sides of this issue, but my power never fell off after 8 years...John Lingenfelter himself turned me on to the Granatelli. He was somewhat knowledgable in this field...
--Alan
Old 10-08-2004, 08:40 PM

How exactly do you claim it works then?
Old 10-08-2004, 08:56 PM

Hahahaha I guess thats the part Summit and Jegs let out ... Granatelli MAF BOLT ON 15RWHP! ...

Then loose it 100 miles later once the PCM re-learns and accomodates for the lean condition.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:24 PM

pcm does NOT accomodate for a granatelli, and the granatelli does not trick the pcm into thinking their is less air going into the motor. Their website specifically addresses this misconception.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 PM

Link please. If not an AFR adjustment how does it claim to be adding that power? Reduced restriction???, bull the stocker is not a restriction.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:47 AM

You guys have got me confused, lol. So a tuner (madz28, pcmforless) would have a harder time tuning my car correctly with the Granatelli than without it, correct? IOW, it complicates things for them so a stock one would really be better since I want to tune the car. Since the Granatelli was already on the car when I bought it back, I figure that I'll just keep the MAF ends from the Granatelli and replace that little skinny sensor with a stocker from somewhere. Does this sound okay?
Old 10-09-2004, 07:12 AM

Ion had no problems tuning mine.
It may add a little power on the level of the TB Bypass but 325.00 would be better spent on something else.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Link please. If not an AFR adjustment how does it claim to be adding that power? Reduced restriction???, bull the stocker is not a restriction.
the screen on the stocker is a restriction.

i included the link and quote below. i never believe anyhting i read... unless its an advertisement on the net but really, i dont think they would make it up. i searched on google and found someone who sold it for $250 or $270 something like that.

pontiac magazine didan article for the ls1, 10hp in 10mins. it dynoed 10hp more. i dont recall any mention of computer compensation, i guess there is only 1 way to know for sure

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...automotive.htm
Does the computer relearn the fuel and timing curves canceling out any performance gain?
No. GMS mass airflow sensors are "truly calibrated" on our proprietary computerized flow benches and plays no tricks on the factory ECM/PCM.

What are the disadvantages of home porting or larger aftermarket billet ends?

They are for off-road use only.
They are not calibrated so the factory computer will “learn out” these modifications after 200 miles negating any performance increase
They cause the engine to run lean

The only solution is to use a "truly calibrated" mass airflow sensor from Granatelli Motor Sports.

Last edited by med_reject; 10-09-2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:16 AM

The above is pretty much what Lingenfelter told me about the Granatelli. John was probably the most knowledgable builder/tuner of our cars so I gave it a shot. I was running 12.0s until I installed the Granatelli...been in the 11s ever since. My performance hasn't fallen off and its been 8 years. To each his own, I guess. No need for a heated debate. If you don't like, don't use it, and no need to make others feel stupid for using it.
--Alan

Quick Reply: Granatelli MAF Sensor with Madz28 Tuning