LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Got motor put together tonight. Have BIG problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:59 PM

Got motor put together tonight. Have BIG problem

So tonight i finally got my motor back together. When i was filling the cooling system, water started to come out the back of the passenger side head. When i installed the crossover line i know the bolt threaded in properly when i started it. But it must have a bad thread in the head that caused the bolt to not want to install straight. So i was wondering if i can not easily fix this if i could put a plug in the back of the heads and make a crossover line for the front of the motor? This would save me from having to remove the heads.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:34 AM

Re: Got motor put together tonight. Have BIG problem

i feel like the accessory bracket would be in your way on the passenger side...

did you use the proper GM rubber washers? auto parts store oil plug washers will not work. a bad thread shouldn't matter as long as the bolt is straight and flush, it's all about those washers and getting the bolt torqued to 30 ft/lbs ish

Last edited by AdsoYo; 05-08-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
i feel like the accessory bracket would be in your way on the passenger side...

did you use the proper GM rubber washers? auto parts store oil plug washers will not work. a bad thread shouldn't matter as long as the bolt is straight and flush, it's all about those washers and getting the bolt torqued to 30 ft/lbs ish
im not running the stock accessory bracket so that wont be a issue. I have easy access to the plugs on the front of the heads. Was doing some reading and found a post that stated that it has to be on the back of the motor because if a steam pocket were to form in the back of the heads it wont be able to be pushed out the steam line. I am going to order some AN fittings and try to get it to seal into the back of the head. Wish i would have done this in the begining but thought that i wouldnt have had any issues.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:04 AM

I have seen people replace the rear bracket with custom AN lines, so that isn't an issue. I do not however know if that would impact cooling.

A better question to answer though, is if the head is gacked enough that the steam pipe won't seal, why would a plug?
Old 05-08-2018, 03:25 PM

you need 2 seals per steam pipe side. One on each side of the steam pipe where the bolt goes through into the head

if the threads in the head got FU...going to have to re-tap