LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Gonna Rebuild Opti.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:39 AM

Gonna Rebuild Opti.....

ok my opti on my car is good and my car runs great.
im thinking about pulling off my opti to change the cap and rotor because the wires and plugs are all new. so what are the chances of pulling this apart and cleaning it up inside, installing the new cap and rotor and gaining some life out of it?

i read on here that someone took one apart and cleaned it real well and painted some parts inside it and it is still working great.
this opti has about 120,000 miles on it, it looks like the original one, the outside is caked with oil and coolant.

the thought is if i cleaned it up and replaced the cap and rotor now while its still good that matbe it will last another 120,000.

what do you think?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:10 AM

Re: Gonna Rebuild Opti.....

My opti worked GREAT for 140,000 miles...............till I got the bright idea to clean it and put a new cap and rotor on it while I had the engine out. I put it back on the car and within 1000 miles the optical sensor went out. There's nothing you can do about that. I then bought one from Dal and things have been great so far. Also, the cap and rotor I replaced I bought from Autozone and it come with a 3 month warranty..........it lasted 3 months and a week, I tried to take it back and they told me tough luck so basicly I got shafted out of $130!! I will never buy another opti that's not a GM piece. That's just the way it worked out for me, if you do it I hope you have better luck.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by white/blackss
ok my opti on my car is good and my car runs great.
im thinking about pulling off my opti to change the cap and rotor because the wires and plugs are all new. so what are the chances of pulling this apart and cleaning it up inside, installing the new cap and rotor and gaining some life out of it?

i read on here that someone took one apart and cleaned it real well and painted some parts inside it and it is still working great.
this opti has about 120,000 miles on it, it looks like the original one, the outside is caked with oil and coolant.

the thought is if i cleaned it up and replaced the cap and rotor now while its still good that matbe it will last another 120,000.

what do you think?
I think you are wasting your money on cap and rotor only. Replace the whole thing when it is time.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:35 AM

I was also thinking of doing the same thing.
Replacing it with the new MSD cap and rotor. for $159
Rather that the Dynaspark that's $599 or so. Geezz....

What should I do? got the whole motor out, all the electrical is getting replaced.