LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Going from LT's to Mid/Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 09:41 PM

Angry Going from LT's to Mid/Shorties

Anyway, long story short, can't run the Jet Hot LT's that I spent 3 days installing and worshipping the sound of after the heads & cam. Don't ask me why, I just cannot run them however.

So I'm thinking, as long as I have stock routing I can pass any emmisions test with whatever engine combination I want. (I have a way), the only thing is everything on the "appearance" side of the engine modifications must have a CARB # or pass for something that is CARB legal.

I was looking at the MAC midlengths, which are not CARB legal like the Edelbrocks I was thinking of getting. But down the road I would really like to build up a monster of an engine, addicted already after the first "real" mods.

Long story short, what kind of power difference am I looking at from going with Jet Hot LT's to MAC or Edelbrocks on a 224/230 cam and mild ported heads car? I'm also looking at having CM build a 396 with fully ported heads and an 847 cam. I figure I'm trading off about 15hp on my current setup, and abour 30+ or so on the future setup.

Just would like to know, I've got a budget to work with and need to stay with in it to get the car going by X-mas.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2003, 09:42 PM

Re: Going from LT's to Mid/Shorties

Originally posted by Larnach
Anyway, long story short, can't run the Jet Hot LT's that I spent 3 days installing and worshipping the sound of after the heads & cam. Don't ask me why, I just cannot run them however.

So I'm thinking, as long as I have stock routing I can pass any emmisions test with whatever engine combination I want. (I have a way), the only thing is everything on the "appearance" side of the engine modifications must have a CARB # or pass for something that is CARB legal.

I was looking at the MAC midlengths, which are not CARB legal like the Edelbrocks I was thinking of getting. But down the road I would really like to build up a monster of an engine, addicted already after the first "real" mods.

Long story short, what kind of power difference am I looking at from going with Jet Hot LT's to MAC or Edelbrocks on a 224/230 cam and mild ported heads car? I'm also looking at having CM build a 396 with fully ported heads and an 847 cam. I figure I'm trading off about 15hp on my current setup, and abour 30+ or so on the future setup.

Just would like to know, I've got a budget to work with and need to stay with in it to get the car going by X-mas.

Thanks

I know you said not to ask but i REALLY want to know why
Old 12-03-2003, 09:45 PM

Nobody locally will hook up the exhaust, even the "shady" shops. There are officials all over the place now walking in and out of shops, and the fines are a minimum of $2500 now, up to $10,000 with a second time offense of the state taking your car... forever.
FOREVER! FOREVER!!!

I cannot have that happen, especially since police can pull you over and check your car at any time they damn want to if they suspect "tampering of emmisions device".

One thing that I got a kick out of though, on Monday I drove the car through town to the exhaust shops, this is through a busy city town, open headers and all, on the way back the Sheriff was right behind me on the exit, so I killed the car, and got out and raised my hands like it died. He ended up pushing the car to the side of the road I fired it up a minute later and was on my way.

Anyway, I don't want a $20,000 money pit taken away with no compensation by a smog ****.

That's why.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:56 PM

I don't blame you. Sounds a little too risky to be able to enjoy them!

Are you selling your LT's? I guess I should go look in the For Sale forum!

Good luck!
J
Old 12-03-2003, 09:59 PM

I really like my mac headers. I was originally going to go to long tubes this winter when i do heads/cam, but I am going to stick with these. Good power, plug access, and sound. Good Luck!

Brandon
Old 12-03-2003, 09:59 PM

I would go SLP shorties, aren't those legal? They are 1 3/4 & you prolly won't see much if any (5hp) from long tubes to slp's aslong as they are the 93-95 style.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:13 PM

I agree with the SLPs. they dont really have a carb tag on them like the eldebrocks but i dont see how an exhaust shop would know the difference if you simply lied to them saying the headers were 50 state legal.. which they are.

as far as what kinda power youd lose.. i dont think any amount of tuning or header size will allow a 396 with GM847 cam to pass emissions anyway.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:17 PM

I got the SLP's. Bolted right up and give the best performance for a mid/shorty.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:18 PM

Also take a look at AS&M headers. I think those are mid length and are 1 3/4 primaries.

Jody J.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:20 PM

I personally loved my AS&M's, especially when the collector was modded for 3" outlets. True duals with as good as or better than stock ground clearance.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:23 PM

Re: Going from LT's to Mid/Shorties

Originally posted by Larnach

Thanks
Ill bu them my freind needs them for his 94
Old 12-03-2003, 10:39 PM

Personally, I think people put too much emphasis on the LT's anyway. All the HP they produce is up top anyhow and that is really only usable at the drag strip (oh god here comes the flames). For someone like me who will autocross, the shorties worked out fine.

Hey you can see by my sig that I have the stock cam and making HP to 5900 RPM...just about perfect for me. I don't need it any farther up than that.

Ben
Old 12-03-2003, 10:54 PM

Well from what i have heard, LT's gain in "power" presay is when there are more mods done to the car like heads and stuff...things that make it more freer flowing. Thats what i have heard. But i can def. tell the difference between stock and LT's though. I have also heard that mid-lenghts are ALMOST as good as long tubes.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:59 PM

Couldn't you just have a y pipe built with a set of high flow cats?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:20 PM

If I were you I'd be shopping for some SLP midlengths.

Edit*
Wait, i take that back, kinda. Did some 95s made for CA come with dual cats? is yours one of those?

-brent

Last edited by 94formulabz; 12-03-2003 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Going from LT's to Mid/Shorties