LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

God i hate my car so much.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 10:35 PM

God i hate my car so much.

I don't think i can stand this car for much longer. I had it for 3 months now with nothing but problems. I finally was able to get it smogged today. Was very happy about that. But after driving it for a while i started to notice a few things. Other then the horrible wheel hop feeling i get when i turn left. It seems like the transmission has a slight grinding sound coming from it. I can sort of feel it also when i'm sitting in the car. But it feels like it is surging. The clutch makes a lot of noise when i'm taking off. Also while driveing on the freeway i turned off the radio for a few minutes to hear my car. It seems every time i hit a bump i can hear the back end rattle around or something. I'm thinking its just my exhaust system hitting the car but i don't know. It doesn't seem to handle very well. It makes me feel like my car is falling apart with all the noises it makes. Please somebody tell me it is gonna stop. I can't take it.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:48 PM

Re: God i hate my car so much.

Originally posted by drewstealth
I don't think i can stand this car for much longer. I had it for 3 months now with nothing but problems. I finally was able to get it smogged today. Was very happy about that. But after driving it for a while i started to notice a few things. Other then the horrible wheel hop feeling i get when i turn left. It seems like the transmission has a slight grinding sound coming from it. I can sort of feel it also when i'm sitting in the car. But it feels like it is surging. The clutch makes a lot of noise when i'm taking off. Also while driveing on the freeway i turned off the radio for a few minutes to hear my car. It seems every time i hit a bump i can hear the back end rattle around or something. I'm thinking its just my exhaust system hitting the car but i don't know. It doesn't seem to handle very well. It makes me feel like my car is falling apart with all the noises it makes. Please somebody tell me it is gonna stop. I can't take it.
Most of us have been there. My car was a lemon. Bought it, 2 weeks later-clutch slipped, fixed it. Month later-waterpump took a ****. Replaced WP and Opti while I was at it. 3 months later, RR came loose and chattered all around inside my passenger valve cover, fixed that. 5 months later-found out my hood latch is messed up and my hood could've swung up and hit my windshield as well as the rear bumper having 2 clips compared to the 20 it SHOULD have had holding it on. Plus all the miscellaneous leaks and cooling system issues. Currently I'm riding around with a primer spot on the rear of my car where I'm having a guy reweld my quarter panel so the bumber cover sits perfectly like it did at one point in time. All this and I've never been in an accident or pulled over for that matter. After throwing $8000 at my car to just make it "normal" and (I payed $9000 for it), I for some reason love the thing. I only wish I knew what I know now so I could of saved $6500 in labor and done it all myself.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:55 PM

well......sorry about your problems but i love my car. No problems after 10k *knock on wood*
Old 06-12-2003, 02:26 PM

Sounds like you got a USED car. More than likely the clutch is going and/or your tranny is boogered, sycros, etc.

As far as the rear. Same thing. The car has probably got some hard launces on it and the drive train needs to be refurbished.

Even a Sherman tank can break down eventually if abused enough.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:48 PM

Bought my TA used and within a month or so I had to do:

clutch kit
brakes all the way around
front end alignment
new tires
get A/C recharged
tranny mount had to be replaced
motor mounts had to be replaced
tranny rebuilt

and she is in the shop right now!

I couldn't be happier though.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:54 PM

The problem is that these cars are high powered for their day and age, and even by todays standards they can beat most other cars on the rode. With that said they are generally bought by people that wanted to drive them, and in some cases abused them. I can relate to you and your problems when I bought the 93, I was stupid and just had to have one, and I didn't wait for the "Right" one. I have done so much to the car just when fixing stuff and finding places where the original owners didn't put stuff together right, or left stuff hanging. I have found that zip ties are worth their weight in gold LOL!

But by the same token their are V8 F-bodies out there that were taken care of I got the 95 in 2000, with 27K, and I got the info on the previous owner form the dealer and talked to her. She gave me the info on the car from the original owners and I knew I had a great car. I just wished that I knew what I knew now when buying the 93

Just hang in there, and realize that all used cars will have SOME problems
Old 06-12-2003, 03:53 PM

Well the thing is i used to just jump into a deal because i wanted the car so bad. But this time i actually waited a while for the right car. I made sure it had everything i wanted t-tops, m6, low miles and a good body. It has all of that. It has 50,700 miles on it. The body is flawless. No dings or scratches. I bought it off a woman. She was the original owner. She was in here late 30's. So i don't think it got beaten on much. She sold it because she never drove it. She only put 400 miles on it in 1 year. It was garage kept the whole time. So i don't know how much better i can look for a car than that. I think god just hates me.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:59 PM

I feel the same! I've had nothing but problems with my car. First busted air conditioner condenser, then opti, then waterpump, them timing chain (only one on this board that I know of) timing chain cover, intake manifold leak, hood misaligned, and the list goes on and on. I guess I love her anyway....
Old 06-12-2003, 05:50 PM

best thing to do when buying a car is wait cause there is always someone out there more **** than you are about keeping the car nice and that is how i found my 93 it was pure luck. i looked at some stuff before i bought my current one and wanted to jump into things but refrained and i was glad i did. but boy was it hard to refrain.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:08 PM

i got you beat i had my TA for 1 week and 1day and blew the motor i finaly got the money from the dealer and bought a used motor and i putting on headers and possible a clutch and other stuff while i am in there......

enjoy it something good has to come out of it

brad
Old 06-12-2003, 06:08 PM

It has 50,700 miles on it. The body is flawless. No dings or scratches. I bought it off a woman. She was the original owner. She was in here late 30's. So i don't think it got beaten on much.
Wow! that sounds alot like my 95 the previous owner was a middle aged lady who put 20K on the car in 3 years

But since you have less than 60K I am wondering why you have so many problems

It seems every time i hit a bump i can hear the back end rattle around or something. I'm thinking its just my exhaust system hitting the car but i don't know. It doesn't seem to handle very well.
try replacing the bushings in your torque arm, I had a similar problem when ever I would hit a bump, or go over a speed bump the back of the car felt like it was being pushed side to side, I had a friend that had some extra poly bushings and we replaced mine and the problem cleared up.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:13 PM

look man, get an energy suspension polyurethane bushing "hyper-flex" kit, and your problems will be solved. no more crappy handling, everything will feel much tighter. this will change pretty much all of the bushings in your suspension. does not come with a polyurethane tranny mount, which u might want to consider. that wheel hop feeling when turning is your posi.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:16 PM

that grinding noise you hear in ur tranny is probably your throwout (when you take off) bearing in you clutch and the raddle you hear at a stopped idle is most likely the pilot bearing. I pretty much have the same problem. Although they are loud chances are you have plenty of life left in the clutch (unless urs is slippin). I agree it is annoying but its not worth a clutch change over.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:41 PM

when you buy any used car someone has neglected to maintain properly, it will nickel and dime you to death until you get it up to par. At that point you will begin the love with no hate. I bought a used 97 auto, so far radiiator broke, power steering pump is bad, in desperate need of full tune up, brakes are pulsating, but once i get it fixed, itll be all good to go, and i can stop whinig. lol

MIKE
Old 06-12-2003, 06:48 PM

Like was said above, the throw out bearing and pilot bearing make noise on these cars commonly.
Another common thing is the wingnut that holds the spare tire and jack loosens causing loud rattling from the rear, tighten it up real tight and see if the noise goes away.

Quick Reply: God i hate my car so much.