LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

glasspaks on an LT1..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 05:32 PM

glasspaks on an LT1..?

ok ive decided to put off the heaaders for a little while so i definately need somethin to change the tone of my exhuast till then (bullets on manifolds sounds like a harley at part throttle ) but im thinkin about getting thrush or cherry bomb glass paks.. anyone ever heard glasspaks on an LT1 or have a sound clip? and how much should one of these cost.. advanced just told me 45 each for the 2 1/2 in/out with 24in case... arent these things usually like 20 bucks each!?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:38 PM

Re: glasspaks on an LT1..?

I had dual 2 1/2 cherry bombs on my v8 s10 and they didnt sound too bad nice deep tone.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by RacingTiger04
ok ive decided to put off the heaaders for a little while so i definately need somethin to change the tone of my exhuast till then (bullets on manifolds sounds like a harley at part throttle ) but im thinkin about getting thrush or cherry bomb glass paks.. anyone ever heard glasspaks on an LT1 or have a sound clip? and how much should one of these cost.. advanced just told me 45 each for the 2 1/2 in/out with 24in case... arent these things usually like 20 bucks each!?
I would imagine it would sound similar to most sbcs. They are 20 bucks at napa and like 17 through summit but you have to pay 8 bucks to have em shipped from summit. Napa here usually has em on hand...lots of pickups.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:48 PM

They sound fine if you like the old school V8 sound.
I run Hooker LTs and true duals with Purple horny header mufflers with turndowns. I had to shorten them a bit to clear my DDs and I had O2 bungs welded in. I love the way they sound.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:29 PM

Ive heard this term a lot and never knew what they were but I knowthey are cheap and make your car much louder. What exaclty is a glasspack?

My Guess: A replacment for a Cat which is cheap and containts glass. lol
Old 09-12-2005, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jazsun
Ive heard this term a lot and never knew what they were but I knowthey are cheap and make your car much louder. What exaclty is a glasspack?

My Guess: A replacment for a Cat which is cheap and containts glass. lol
thats sort of what it is, know what a dynomax bullet muffler is? if you do the explanation is simple. imagine teh same thing with glass walls in it if not.. then its a straight through pipe with a shell around it... holes in the inside wall between the shell and inside wall is usually fiberglass of some kind and the glass walls i mentioend before in the center

right now i have bullets.. only reason im changing is because i want a "tone" before until i can get the money for headers.. again.. but my main question is how much quieter will it be? and as far as breaking the glass inside.. itld be pointless to do ALL the glass cause thats what i have right now but what about only breaking a cpl of the walls in each muffler (old fashioned way with a water hose of course ) my dad had a 4.0 jeep like that once and it sounded awesome anyway... anyone know how the loudness compares glasspack vs bullet ? i know itll be somewhat quieter.. and ill once in awhile miss the echo but i dont want a harley sounding car at part throttle (cursed manifolds~!!~)
Old 09-13-2005, 12:13 AM

Glass walls.......??
A glasspack muffler is a round muffler that is a straight through design, the pipe is perforated inside and fiberglass packing surrounds this perforated tube inside the muffler. As time goes by and you drive the car this fiberglass packing burns out and its muffling capabilities are diminished.
You either love em or hate em.
As for how loud they are, I get lots of comments on how quiet my car is (this is relative, my car is still loud) for such a short exhaust, but it SCREAMS at WOT.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:01 AM

How stuff works to the rescue!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:13 AM

The glasspacks are going to be even more raspier then the bullet mufflers, and probably louder.

Have you actually had anyone take your car around the block and let you hear it? If not you should, it sounds totally different. I would keep the bullets.

Only reason why I ditched my bullet mufflers were cause I wanted even more of old school sound. So I went with these. http://www.sweet-thunder.com
Old 09-13-2005, 01:30 AM

i think one reason mine seems to be raspier is because of a slight miscommunication when i was getting the exhuast done.. the bullets are 3in. in/out while the exhuast pipe is 2.5in. would that make it raspier? in other words would i be better off to change to teh correct bullet.. or go ahead with the glass packs.. and from that website it makes it look like a glasspack and a bullet are basically the same? now im just confused =/

and yeah i had someone drive it around the block for me once... but that is different this car sounds different everytime i drive it *shrug* one day itll be nothin but grumbles and the next its all echoes.. most of the time its a mix guess its my foot.. but i cant stand being beside a wall, pressing the gas, and hear the echoes... maybe i can get the shop to rig up a way to let me hear the glass packs before they do any actual "labor"

Last edited by RacingTiger04; 09-13-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:48 AM

Bullet mufflers aren't that much different except they are a tad bit quiter and they flow better and will last longer.

Also, are yours true duals? And did you have them fab up a new y-pipe for you? I know that sometimes if they there is bend in the pipe that has a large kink in it, it can add more of a rasp to it. Thats why I went with individual mandral bends for all my stuff.

Both my buddys L98 and my formy have headers and dynomax bullets at one point. And neither were as raspy as a loudmouth or borla. But then again ours were tuned pretty decently. And if the car is running rich it will run really raspy, thats a fact. How old are your front o2 sensors?

Mike
Old 09-13-2005, 01:56 AM

front o2's as far as i know are as old as the car =/ .. oh and yes its true duals with the stock y-pipe chopped before it combines into 1.. also while were trying to find the source of this "rasp" think that difference in muffler vs. pipe size might be another cuase?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:30 AM

I've had both true duals with bullets and the purple hornies header mufflers and the header mufflers are quieter inside and out.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:09 AM

I'm willing to bet that the problem with your rasp is your old o2 sensors. They are probably causing the car to run a little on the rich size, which can cause more of a raspy tone on a exhaust setup with no cats.

I don't thinky your problem is that your going from a 2 1/2 to a 3 inch, since I have seen people run larger tail pipes and not run into this problem.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:36 AM

The Dynomax bullets are just a short glass pack. They are the same thing. I had the bullets on my Caddy (LT1/T56) with cats and 2.5" dual pipes. I had turn downs rights off the bullets before the rear axle. Sounded AWESOME. BUT... as soon as you add pipe behind them, they get raspy. I had to add tail pipes to pass inspection and they got raspy up top and I didn't like them any more.

If it's the raspiness you don't like, try moving the bullets further back in the exhaust as close to the end as you can (not exactly easy). Maybe try some resonator tips? That may cut the raspiness out of the system.

If you're just looking for cheap, sorta quiet... The Summit Turbos sound great and are only $14.75 each. They are significantly quieter than the bullets though. No raspiness at all.

Might you consider a Spin-tek muffler? They're just as loud (if not louder) than glass packs and bullets, but not quite as raspy.

I've heard good things about Magnaflow, too.

That's my $.02. YMMV.

Quick Reply: glasspaks on an LT1..?