LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Getting a Magnaflow Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:00 AM

Getting a Magnaflow Exhaust

Decided to go for the magnaflow on my car. Stock manifolds (will be going to MAC Shorty/mids later). I want the musclecar sound but without an insanely loud exhaust (ie LM or cutout)
Anyone have any opinions on sound? I have an A4 and its a vert so sound really does matter to me, especially interior sound.

Any verts with a Maganflow system want to chime in possibly?
Old 09-18-2004, 12:08 AM

Re: Getting a Magnaflow Exhaust

When you do get them let me know how they sound. I have a 95 Z28 vert too (black) but the stock is just a little quiet for a V8
Do you have a site for your car?
Old 09-18-2004, 12:13 AM

Thats the exhaust i have right now. It sounds really good, but i think it was to quiet. So i got a cut out. And now i only cap mine for emissions.

I would love the magnaflow if it was a little bit louder though.

I think i might still have a video clip or my magna flow and my cut out still on my computer. I'll check and see if i can find it.

Also i will be putting on my hooker headers soon then and I'll take a clip of what it sounds like then. Since i will more then likely be running it through the mufflers and not straight headers.

Last edited by 97BBlackZ; 09-18-2004 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:45 AM

I havent heard the magnaflow, but the flowmaster sound really good. They are restrictive though. I currectly have no mufflers so i noticed some top end gains.

Last edited by ShawnMacAnanny; 09-18-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:23 AM

Thumbs up Re: Getting a Magnaflow Exhaust

Hey man,

U wanna get an idea of different sounds with different sets of headers and cut-outs and cat-backs go to ls1sounds.com.

1993 formula

plans to do new headers and cat-back with cut-outs
Old 09-18-2004, 01:09 PM

I had a b and b on my 97 lt1 non vert and moved it over to my 99 ws6.Its not loud or annoying and sounds good when wot.I went with a magnaflow on my 96 auto z28 vert.It sometimes seems a bit too loud but just leaned out my car with a maf translator and think it might be louder for some reason when running rich.It didn't seem too loud today.It sounds good at idle.I don't notice any annoying resonance.I plan now on getting a catless ypipe but will likely put a dynomax bullet in the intermediate pipe.Will see how that goes.
Also seen on some board maybe this one that one guy with a vert put some resonator tips or something like that inside his magnaflow to quiet it down some.

Obviously autos tend to be louder as you can upshift the six speed cars more.

If I had the money I would have put another b and b on my lt1 vert.It sounded perfect on my other lt1s and a bit quieter.But the magnaflow is high quality and pretty system although took a lot of playing and cutting and bending to get the tips to look even.They were out quite a bit.I am sure the magnaflow adds some power though too.

I don't have any way to record the sounds of my system.Its pretty deep at idle and low rev,sometimes I leave the car in second around town and enjoy the sound quiet a bit.

Anyone else notice their exhuast getting loud and kind of annoying if there cars are running richer..think this is also more noticeable on cold days..as maybe cars run richer for longer when cold..think that would be true.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:09 PM

Did you have headers or Cats on your 96? I've heard both its a bit too loud and not loud enough now. The LS1sounds site was "ok" but the quality wasn't all that great and its hard to tell how loud a system is from a sound clip
Old 09-18-2004, 02:30 PM

I have the Magnaflow on my otherwise stock exhaust system. At first I couldn't believe how loud it was! I had no idea how people could be calling this a quiet system, I was worried anytime I was next to a cop at stop.

I've gotten used to the volume now, (and gotten gentler on the gas when pulling out next to a cop), but I can tell you with my poor listening skills and the wife in the car, I need to be very gentle on the gas and keep the RPMs low to hear her speaking.

I still think this (exhaust in general) is one of the better upgrades for these cars. Got a muscle car, got to have a muscle car sound.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:58 PM

I have cats on my 96 and no headers.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:59 PM

i love the way my setup sounds, although it might be a little too quiet with the a4 keeping the rpm low. it really sounds mean past 3k.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:00 PM

I put on my Magnaflow and felt it was so loud and crude it hurt.
Autozone sells 3" exhaust tips with resonators for 20.00 that slide right into the magnaflow pipes.
I also put a 3" spiral twister in the I pipe.
For all you magnaflow guys who've gotten tired of the drone try the exhaust tips first and if thats not enough then put a glasspack in the I pipe.
With the twister and tips my exhaust is only a little louder than stock. A glasspack would be just right for those who want a little more volume.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:18 PM

wow at 1st i thought my magnaflow was somewhat loud but not really. Then i starting driving with my cut out and now i think the magnaflow is quiet as hell.. guess it just depends on the person.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:04 AM

I guess 2cub49's longtubes, and higher gears add to the loudness. Hopefully my exhaust is gona be just perfect for me when i install it this friday*crosses fingers*.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:25 PM

Well I'm 46 and when I was 20 I used to stand 10 ft away from staging Funny Cars and Dragsters.(they let us do that then in Canada)
I certainly had my feast of V8 music.
When I first put the Magnaflow on it was quiet at idle and cruise but too loud for me if given any throttle.
It hurt my ears and sounded like a 5 ton gas truck IMO.
Just some resonator tips alone or a bullet in the I pipe will take the edge off if you want it a only a little quieter especially in a vert with the top down..
Otherwise I like my car the way it sounds now.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:29 PM

tnx for all the info! It's good to be prepared for these things, at least I'll be ready if I need to throw on a bullet or something. Hopefully my stock manifolds and cat will tone it down enough for me. Yay for Canada!

Quick Reply: Getting a Magnaflow Exhaust