LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Gas in the oil... tried everything... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:22 PM

Angry Gas in the oil... tried everything... Help!

I keep getting gas in the oil lately and I don't have a clue why. I'll tell you guys what I checked and maybe somebody can tell me what I missed. I checked:
-The fuel pressure regulator: seems to work fine
-Injectors: don't leak when taken out of the manifold
-Dead cylinder: checked that all cylinders are firing by pulling the injector plugs 1 by 1
-Cylinder rings: didn't check but I get no smoke on startup so I figure they are ok
-Manifold to head leaks: replaced the intake manifold gasket. The old one leaked around the ports causing the original contamination.

Please help me guys, I am about ready to go to the store and start replacing everything in this damn motor. Hopefully somebody can give me some pointers where to start.

Max
Old 05-08-2005, 10:31 PM

Re: Gas in the oil... tried everything... Help!

What do you mean, injectors dont leak out of the manifold. It sounds to me like you mave have a fuel injector leaking down slowly. The best way to check for this is to put a fuel pressure gauge on the car, and after running it, see if you are losing pressure over a few hours.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:36 PM

I would definately do a scan and check your blms. I would expect them to be at 108. Meaning, the pcm is pulling all the fuel it can, but it isn't enough. With gas in the fuel, I am assuming the car is smoking badly(black).
Old 05-09-2005, 12:23 AM

What do you mean, injectors dont leak out of the manifold. It sounds to me like you mave have a fuel injector leaking down slowly. The best way to check for this is to put a fuel pressure gauge on the car, and after running it, see if you are losing pressure over a few hours.
I mean that I pulled the fuel rail out of the manifold, and then checked if the injectors were leaking by pressurizing the system and looking for dripping. I didn't see any. Maybe it just drips slowly (I only looked for a minute or so)? Can I pull the fuel rail all the way off, then swivel the fuel lines around and leave it for a while after pressurizing it? Maybe put soda caps under the injectors? Does the FPR have to be plugged into the manifold for this test to work? I don't think the pressure gauge will work for me, because I am pretty sure my fuel pump is busted and is releasing the pressure.

I would definately do a scan and check your blms. I would expect them to be at 108. Meaning, the pcm is pulling all the fuel it can, but it isn't enough. With gas in the fuel, I am assuming the car is smoking badly(black).
What is blms? I don't have a scan tool so I can't really do a scan. Also my car isn't smoking at all out of the exhaust. No black smoke, no startup smoke, nothing.

Last edited by maksik7; 05-09-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:00 AM

Gas in oil is very bad, the bearings do not like gas at all. Keep your oil fresh until you figure out the problem.

Have you pulled out all your plugs to see if one looks "wet" compared to all the others?

Does it run fine otherwise?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:42 AM

You claim the fuel pressure regulator seems to work fine. How would you know if you said the pressure gage probably won't work for you? It appears that you haven't checked the pressure. If the diaphragm inside the FPR were ruptured, it would allow fuel to go directly into the manifold causing the problem you speak of. You can quickly check it by seeing if the vac line going to it is wet. Or put some suction on it to see if fuel comes out.

Also, taking into account that you have fuel in the oil from (either the FPR or injectors). AND you claim to have drain back of fuel due to a bad check ball in the fuel pump, you must have one hell of a time cranking the engine over with it being flooded and fuel not in the fuel rails!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:23 AM

It doesn't seem likely then, that it is running extremely rich. I would think that if it was bad enough to seep past rings, it would be bad enough to smoke heavily.

BTW, blms=block learn multipliers

FPR could definately be a problem as mentioned.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:46 AM

Not true at all. It's called blow by. You can get blow by without burning oil. Sounds like time for some rings.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:10 AM

You claim the fuel pressure regulator seems to work fine. How would you know if you said the pressure gage probably won't work for you? It appears that you haven't checked the pressure. If the diaphragm inside the FPR were ruptured, it would allow fuel to go directly into the manifold causing the problem you speak of. You can quickly check it by seeing if the vac line going to it is wet. Or put some suction on it to see if fuel comes out.
I checked and the vacuum line was dry, and then I put suction on it and no fuel came out. So I figure that pretty much rules out the FPR.

Not true at all. It's called blow by. You can get blow by without burning oil. Sounds like time for some rings.
Is that true? Can my rings be bad even though the car does not smoke at all?

I am tired of trying to figure this out. I am going to the store now and buying a compression tester, a fuel pressure gauge, and some new plugs. I will check the injectors one last time just to be sure and then I'll get to work. I'll post later today on how it all turned out.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 AM

I just checked the oil again and it doesn't smell like gas now. I left the oil cap off overnight and all the fumes must have aired out. Is it somehow possible that gas fumes are somehow leaking into the crankcase, and not the actual gas itself?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:59 PM

Can we get a full list of mods?
As for rings if they are worn I would say you have to find the cause of that because frankly that is not normal in this engine. If rings are leaking it would be more likely to be from being dirty. There are some products that genuinely can help there but you will not find them at the parts store.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Can we get a full list of mods?
As for rings if they are worn I would say you have to find the cause of that because frankly that is not normal in this engine. If rings are leaking it would be more likely to be from being dirty. There are some products that genuinely can help there but you will not find them at the parts store.
All I have done to the engine is a TB bypass and the CAI. This problem started when I changed the intake manifold gasket. I didn't put RTV around the ports so fuel got into my oil and oil into the cylinders through there. I redid it with RTV and a better gasket so I very much doubt that to be a problem.

This morning I tested the injectors and FPR for good. I pulled the fuel rail and suspended it well above the engine with wires. I put a pan under the injectors to see if they are leaking. I powered up the pump through the engine connector, and the injectors didn't leak a drop. Also I sucked on the FPR line as hard as I could and no gas came out. But my fuel pressure drops to nothing within 2 minutes, which is definetely the fuel pump and has nothing to do with the current problem.

The only things I can think of still left are 1) bad rings 2) fouled plug causing a dead cylinder 3) intake manifold gasket still leaking somehow. I will do a compression test and change the plugs today, if that doesn't help it MUST be the intake gasket, right?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:38 PM

I don't think silicon is needed with these intakes, I only ever used it where water was present. Let us know how the compression thing turns out, I ran a product called AutoRX in my high milage wagon and through cleaning it gained me some compression. This is applicable to your car too since my wagon is LT1 equipped. To do some reading on it look here http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi My compression gains were with a oil that upon analysis came out towards the low end of the 30wt. range too so it was not a gain through thickening the oil.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:44 PM

Check your pcv system to see if it is working. If there is no fresh air circulating through the crankcase, you could be building up fumes/sludge in there.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:55 PM

im having this same problem except I haven't checked my fuel injectors cause I have been hearing so many people not seeing any leaking but if the injector leaks very slowly like a drip over the course of say an hour or so, some may overlook the injectors all together. Im starting to think the only accurate way to test injectors is a fuel gauge. maksik7: do you also have hard starts? I have this symptom as well as the fuel in the oil smell. And since my FPR is dry and doesn't appear to be leaking, im thinking its an injector problem. Keep us updated with your situation.

Quick Reply: Gas in the oil... tried everything... Help!