LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Garage Pored Water on Opti!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 09:12 PM

Garage Pored Water on Opti!

I brought my car in to the gm dealear because it was missfireing. So the tech put it on the computer and said he had 4 codes and wasn't sure wich one was the real problem. So he said he'll call Toronto and check with them. He gets bck to me and says my spark plugs needed to be change, and I agreed to let him do so. Later on in the day they call me and say that they also changed my wires bc there was 2 of them that were burnt. I figured this was the end of it. Near the end of the day they called bck and said they had bad news, they said that my opti needed to be changed, and I asked how did they come to that conclusion, they said that they let the engine run warm and pored wather on it with a hose. They said this is how GM instructs them to find out if the Opti is bad! Of course now the car won't even go to the end of the block without stalling! My question is, does anyone know if this is common practice to test an opti? Because everything I read about it is to keep it away from water as much as possible.

J
Old 01-22-2003, 09:14 PM

hit someone and/or raise hell...either way you'd better get a new vented opti free of charge.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:21 PM

Vacuum leak?

Sometimes you can use water to find a vacuum leak. I have never done it with a water hose, I use an old Ozarka water bottle to only use a little to pinpoint the leak. I have ALLDATA at my shop and it uses GM information for diagnosing/testing components and it never says to use a waterhose for anything. In my opinion, if they admit to drowning it, they owe you an Opti.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:50 PM

Oh Man....

That's like throwing a match into a straw filled barn to test its resistance to flame!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:56 PM

Thumbs down

Thats the stupidest thing ever... How the hell does that test the opti ???
I think they are just trying to get more cash out of you. Contact your Better Business Bureau and refer them to this mesage board or have them call a state side GM place for reference.

-Shannon
Old 01-22-2003, 09:59 PM

i agree that sounds like a crock of **** but its one of those things where you kind of don't know what to do. you can raise hell and maybe they'll do something about it. but you'd most likely have to find some sort of proof that would stand up in court to get anything out of it. unless you could get another dealership or reputable mechanic to testify against them you'd be hitting a brick wall in court. good luck.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:08 PM

Now to make things even more complicated, my bro in law is the service manager over there! So this job that was done on my car is on his account so I got cost price on everything. So if I complain he's probably going to have to explain himself wich probably ain't good for him. But on the othr hand if I have them put on the opti it will cost about 800$+tx (over here the tax isi a whooping 15%)

J
Old 01-22-2003, 10:11 PM

Make them show you the troubleshooting procedure that says to pour water on the Opti. If they won't ask another dealer to show it to you. Get copies. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 01-22-2003, 10:12 PM

Under no circumstances would a drop of water be poured on the opti. Those GM mechanics are ****ing idiots.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:39 PM

I can tell you one thing the factory service manual says about coolant and the opti and this is just when you are merely opening the coolant bleed screws:
from the "Cooling and Radiator" section of the factory manual

Place a shop towel under the bleed valve to prevent coolant from splashing onto the distributor assembly.
There seems to be some conflict with this procedure and what they told you. Make them show you their procedure in print. That should not get your brother-in-law in trouble.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by IFLYAZ
Oh Man....

That's like throwing a match into a straw filled barn to test its resistance to flame!
Great analogy! LOL...I hate to laugh, cause it sucks for this guy, but that is the most ABSURD thing I ever heard.

I mean, there's another strand here on the boards where a guy took his car thru the wash and the underspray fried his opti.

Opti+Water=UH OH!

DJ
Old 01-22-2003, 10:50 PM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
Jesus i'd bust a head or two... then steal their wallets... hyuck.. lets drain the oil, turn the car on, put a brick on the gas pedal, and leave it overnight, by morning we'll know if somethings wrong with it... excuse me but i have a logic train to catch, ning ning ning ning "ALL ABOARD!"
Old 01-23-2003, 01:15 AM

OK...water is bad for the opti..we all know this. They destroyed your OPTI, they're liable for it. Free of charge.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:59 AM

Well guys, everything wored out in my favour.
I did call a couples of dealers in my region to ask if it was a common practice to put water on an opti and they would not anwser my question. But at least everything worked out.

J
Old 01-23-2003, 03:40 PM

Are they going to replace it?

Quick Reply: Garage Pored Water on Opti!