LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fuel system help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 04:28 PM

Fuel system help

I am in the process of building a fuel system for my fourth gen LT1 and need some help and advice. I have a set of fuel rails that I tig welded and a factory replacement gas tank that I sumped. I am going to use the factory sending unit (lid, bung, plug) whatever it is for the return line. There are 4 lines coming out of the plug. I know there is a feed and a return port but what about the other two? Are they both emission/vent lines? Can I just just weld in a bung and use a check ball like would go in a fuel cell for the vent and block off the mystery lines? Before I get flamed to death I know this is overkill and the racetronic pump is the best thing since sliced bread but I already have a new pump and filters. Plus I like the safety factory of braided stainless and no plastic lines. Thanks in advance. James
Old 12-06-2004, 07:29 PM

Re: Fuel system help

The other 2 lines are vent and evap canister. The vent goes to the plastic valve located on the bracket just below the fuel pump and sending unit connector above the rear on the driver side. The other line goes to the evap canister behind the rear driver side wheel well. You'll notice there are 3 hard lines under the car. Fuel feed, fuel return and the third is vacuum from the engine to the evap can.

You welded the tank yourself I was told that is some feat since the tank needs to be douched and welded within a day.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by slopokrodrigez
You welded the tank yourself I was told that is some feat since the tank needs to be douched and welded within a day.
hmmm

Originally Posted by captaindbol
factory replacement gas tank that I sumped.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the info.

Dave you can get a new gas tank off ebay. No it's not a "factory replacement" from GM but it is thick enough to weld, and does'nt look to shabby.

For the record I have never douched anything. I have been welding for years and would not recommend a shop that engages in such unorthodox practices. Something smells fishy.