LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Which fuel pump????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:26 PM

Which fuel pump????

I'm pretty sure my fuel pump is taking a dump on me. When I put it to the floor I get a lot of hesitation at 5K and above. I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge to comfirm this first. But, if this is the problem, and I'm sure it is, which pump is my best bet. I plan on doing a cam in the near future and maybe heads(that's a big maybe). I've been looking at the Bosch pump, which is good to 500 horsepower. And the GM pump which is good until 400 hp. Not sure on the part numbers though. Are there any other pumps that I should be looking at? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:03 PM

I installed the Racetronix unit. It was worth it. It was more money than the bare Walbro, but the fit was perfect, and I have no worries about unfiltered fuel getting to the pump. I installed thw whole kit, with the auxiliary wiring harness. I have excellent pressure all the time.

http://www.racetronix.com/Racetronix..._Pump_Kit.html
Gives information about the kit.

http://www.thunderracing.com/index.c...ategoryid=1086
Where you can buy it.

Racetronix is on this board, so you can do a search and see the discussions.

It's a great setup and worth the price.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:16 PM

Does it come with good install directions? Did you install it yourself? If you did, how hard was it. And have you ever done anything like it before?
Also, what tools would be needed to replace the pump. Just your normal tools?

Last edited by Black_Z28; 06-13-2003 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:24 PM

The instructions are very complete for the actual pump and harness install. As for getting the tank down, it's a major pain, but doable. The worst part is getting the filler neck past the opening in the body. I had never changed an F-body fuel pump before, but I have changed in-tank pumps on a couple of other vehicles. Just don't get in a hurry.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:31 PM

How about the tools? Do I need anything out of the ordinary?
Old 06-14-2003, 12:47 AM

I got the Racetronix pump as well. Check out my INSTALL and it should answer allot of your questions. You don't need the harness and stuff. I got my pump for $149 and it had everything I needed to put it in.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:55 AM

walbro 255. hands down!!!! no probs here and cheap ($100)
Old 06-14-2003, 08:15 AM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ght=racetronix
Old 06-14-2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by craigffb
I got the Racetronix pump as well. Check out my INSTALL and it should answer allot of your questions. You don't need the harness and stuff. I got my pump for $149 and it had everything I needed to put it in.
In this picture how far down are the fuel lines from where you cut the panel? Just curious how much clearance there is if I went with the panel method. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Black_Z28
In this picture how far down are the fuel lines from where you cut the panel? Just curious how much clearance there is if I went with the panel method. Thanks.

Look a little farther down on the page where I talk about disconnecting the fuel lines and you will see a better picture of what you are asking about, I didn't measure it but I would say about an inch or so. I used a Dremal and a cutting wheel and didn’t even come close to the line.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:23 PM

Alright, thank you.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:09 PM

Look a little farther down on the page where I talk about disconnecting the fuel lines and you will see a better picture of what you are asking about, I didn't measure it but I would say about an inch or so. I used a Dremal and a cutting wheel and didn’t even come close to the line.
Also, what's the difference between your pump and the more expensive pump that racetronix sells? How much horse power is your pump good to? Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 96LT14u2Nv
walbro 255. hands down!!!! no probs here and cheap ($100)
gp section for $99 or something
Old 06-15-2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Black_Z28
Also, what's the difference between your pump and the more expensive pump that racetronix sells? How much horse power is your pump good to? Thanks again for your help.
The pump I got doesn't have the wiring harness. I didn't see any need for it. The pump is a Walbro pump that is modified to fit in the 93-97 F-body. So you get to keep the bowl/bucket to help with some noise shielding. It's really easy to put in. As far as HP it will handle, I'm not sure, what ever the Walbro 255 pump will support. More than anything I will ever have. If you drop Jack an e-mail I'm sure he will be able to tell you.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:24 PM

The pump I got doesn't have the wiring harness. I didn't see any need for it. The pump is a Walbro pump that is modified to fit in the 93-97 F-body. So you get to keep the bowl/bucket to help with some noise shielding. It's really easy to put in. As far as HP it will handle, I'm not sure, what ever the Walbro 255 pump will support. More than anything I will ever have. If you drop Jack an e-mail I'm sure he will be able to tell you.
I have emailed them a couple times. But both times they have said to email "More Performance" and they haven't emailed me back. I would like to get the same kit that you did, but I haven't got any help.

Quick Reply: Which fuel pump????