LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Front end alignment ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 05:24 PM

Front end alignment ?

well here is my is my issue. i just installed new front BMR upper and lower control arms, HAL 12 way adjustable shocks, Eibach Pro kit springs, and Baer Pro+ brakes. i want to take it to get it aligned but even with it being on jackstands i noticed something weird. my steering wheel is dead center so both front wheels should be facing straight ahead. well the passangers side one is straight and looks perfectly fine, BUT the drivers side wheel is facing inwards towards the car, and not just a little, but like an inch. you can tell something is outta wack just by looking at it. so i dont think i can drive it anywhere yet until i can at least fix this a little because i dont want to screw up my tires or anything else. well i took the drivers side wheel and rotor off and loosened the tired rod ball joint bolt and seperated it from the steering knuckle. and i could then turn the knuckle to what looked would be straight. well now the tie rod wont reach far enough to insert the ball joint back into the knuckle. so i guess my question is, is it possible to maybe extend the tierod out maybe an inch in order for it to reach the steering knuckle. i noticed the i can keep the knuckle kind of straight forward when the tie rod ball joint is inserted, but when i torque the bolt down it pulls the steering knuckle in towards the car, hence the unalligned look. anyone have any suggestions? thanks
Old 06-12-2003, 07:00 PM

You don't need to remove the joint from the knuckle to adjust the tie rod. Just loosen the lock nut and use a wrench to turn the adjuster sleeve with the "flats" that are on it.

Keep your steering wheel straight and eyeball it until both wheels are reasonably straight ahead. That should get you to the shop.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:17 PM

rob u never fail to amaze me!! worked like a charm! thanks again man. looks perfect now from what my eyes can see! u rock bro