LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Free / Cheap Mods ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 09:04 PM

Lightbulb Free / Cheap Mods ?

I been searching this site and all over web for freemods and even cheap mods for the LT1. I found 3 so far [1] TB Bypass coolant [2] MAF screen removeal [3] ram air scoop in air well.

What are the rest of the mods please list them and list a link to a How To if possiable.

Also this is off topic but i also need to find a How To replace the oem water pump too for the lt1? Thanks .

Last edited by Spllouder; 01-17-2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:03 PM

Bypass the IAT sensor with a 4.7K ohm resistor.

Here is a picture of the sensor
http://shbox.com/1/iat.jpg

Just unplug it, bend the resistor into a "U" shape, stick the ends in the plug on the harness end, wrap it in tape and stick it in a film canister for protection.

This will fool your computer into thinking it is always 52 degrees outside, resulting in better performance due to a better mixture. You know how your car always seems more responsive when it ic cold? with this mod it feels like that all the time!

The resistor can be purchased at Radio Shack for next to nothing. You'll get a package containing about 20 of them for $3.

Have fun!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:51 PM

Sawzall + 2 minutes = Weight savings and +10hp.

But then, you probably dont want to take off the slowmaster
Old 01-17-2004, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by TABAHR
Bypass the IAT sensor with a 4.7K ohm resistor.

Here is a picture of the sensor
http://shbox.com/1/iat.jpg

Just unplug it, bend the resistor into a "U" shape, stick the ends in the plug on the harness end, wrap it in tape and stick it in a film canister for protection.

This will fool your computer into thinking it is always 52 degrees outside, resulting in better performance due to a better mixture. You know how your car always seems more responsive when it ic cold? with this mod it feels like that all the time!

The resistor can be purchased at Radio Shack for next to nothing. You'll get a package containing about 20 of them for $3.

Have fun!
is that for real? I'v never heard of that before. THats pretty kickass though.I might have to do it when I get my car back together just so it runs great all the time, and not only in the cold
Old 01-18-2004, 12:00 AM

well i will get a true cat back soon , but iam on a budget right now .

i heard of removing a screen also in the TB ? is this true. if so any performace gain at all ? should i buy a $10 used air foil why not it cant hurt ?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:05 AM

Hey I'm with Zack....never heard of that either and was wondering if anyone can confirm this.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by Spllouder
well i will get a true cat back soon , but iam on a budget right now .

i heard of removing a screen also in the TB ? is this true. if so any performace gain at all ? should i buy a $10 used air foil why not it cant hurt ?
theres no screen in the TB. And sure, get a 10 dollar air foil, cant hurt at that price.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:46 AM

yes the iat mod works. it increases timing.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:25 AM

Re: Free / Cheap Mods ?

[3] ram air scoop in air well.

How does this one work Ive never heard of it.????

later,
-JOhn
Old 01-18-2004, 03:08 AM

here is another one lol ,
Unbolt the y-pipe from the headers
Unbolt the cat
Take a hammer and a big chisel
Hammer inside the cat!
Beat the cat against the floor to draw the fragments.
Bolt the y-pipe to the headers, bolt the cat again.
no joke not my ideal but would ne one do this that way ? i guess if u dont have a welder
Old 01-18-2004, 03:10 AM

Ram air in air well here http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/ramair/ramair.htm
Old 01-18-2004, 03:48 AM

....build your own CAI {Cold Air Intake}. Its not free but didn't you also mention cheap mod's? Bill...
Old 01-18-2004, 03:52 AM

This will fool your computer into thinking it is always 52 degrees outside
Using that resistor will tell the PCM is 57 degrees. for 52 degrees the resistor should be 5368 Ohms or the closest one you can find. Most likely 5.2 Kohms. Now doing that can be detrimental to your engine when its really hot. At best you will get knocking and pinging and the PCM will pull timing like you are on fire....

Now if you are "smarter" you can connect a resistor in series with the PCM and the IAT. The reason behind it is that you still keep the IAT working to an extent and yet you make the PCM believe there is colder incoming air. The beauty of it is that, as it gets hotter the IAT detects the heat and and compensates to a lesser extent. Using the resistor in series attenuates the IAT's resistance changes...When its hot it gives greater attenuation then when its cold. At colder temps the added resistance becomes almost neglegible.

for Example: with an actual temp of 110 degree F. the IAT reads 1275.5 Omhs If you ad a 500 ohm resistor in series then you increase the resistance to 1575.5 Ohms total and that will correspond to a temp of about 100 degrees. a drop of ten degrees... not much but very safe...

as the incoming air temp changes and your actual air temp drops to 50*f (cold day) the IAT will read 5670 Ohms plus the 500 ohms resistor, this equals to a total of 6170 Ohms. Looking at my chart this translates to 47*F a change of only 3 degrees...

Now you see why is so much safer that way?

I havent tested the IAT resistor theory yet. Also the accuracy of the IAT sensors is not "laboratory grade". I would give them a 5% accuracy range so the numbers I stated above are not absolute numbers for every car but an aproximation.

Special note: Do not use, attempt to, think about attempting to use a resistor rigged with your Coolant Temp sensor... You can do some serious damage or render your car dead. You want true Coolant temp readings sent to the PCM there... Just an FYI.

Marvin

Last edited by MentalCaseOne; 01-18-2004 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:44 AM

....how would one wire up the resistor in series? Bill...
Old 01-18-2004, 06:06 AM

I believe you would need to splice it into one of the sensor wires.

Quick Reply: Free / Cheap Mods ?