LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Flywheel removal? (A4)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 04:15 PM

Question Flywheel removal? (A4)

It has been a while since I have had to remove an engine or tranny (knock's on wood) but I have to replace my flywheel. Apparently it is cracked and has been making a horrible screeching sound when the car down shifts from OD to D. Does the tranny have to be taken out to replace the flywheel or can I just remove the bolts holding the flywheel to the torque convertor and the flywheel to the crank? Like I said, it's been a while and just can't get a visual. Thanks,

Kyle
Old 10-14-2003, 09:22 AM

Nobody has taken their engine or tranny out recently? I just want to know if the tranny has to be pulled to remove the flywheel or if I can just unbolt the flywheel from the TC and crank and slip it out.

Kyle
Old 10-14-2003, 03:47 PM

I'm sure there is a exception somewhere but I've never seen a flywheel (or flexplate in your case) that could be removed without removing the transmission first.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by JohnD
I'm sure there is a exception somewhere but I've never seen a flywheel (or flexplate in your case) that could be removed without removing the transmission first.
Another Austin Z. Nice to see ya. As far as i can remember, there is nothing going through the Flexplate (thanks for the correction). There should be the bolts that hold it onto the crankshaft and the bolts that hold it to the TC. The TC bolts are easy enough to get to. With a long enough wrench and a little turning of the flexplate bring each bolt to the down position, I should be able to remove the crank bolts. At this point, shouldn't the flexplate come out? Thanks,

Kyle
Old 10-14-2003, 05:40 PM

No you cant take the flexplate out without removing the tranny. Even if you could get those bolts out, which isnt going to happen, how would you get them back in??? Sorry but you got to pull the tranny.

Craig
Old 10-14-2003, 07:31 PM

I've never tried this on an F-body, but I have replaced flexplates on GM trucks and older cars without "completly" removing the trans. Just take the torque converter bolts out, then the bellhousing bolts. Then take the trans. crossmember loose at the frame. Support trans. with a jack. Pry the trans. away from the engine and put a couple of 1/2" drive sockets between. Hold the flexplate with the handy flexplate tool and take out the flexplate-crankshaft bolts with a wrench. I doubt this would work on an F-body though, but may be worth a look into.