LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

FLP LT's-Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 07:21 PM

FLP LT's-Good or Bad?

I really want to just go ahead and order these FLP's, but I keep hearing negative thingsa about them...That they dont fit right, or they vibrate against the floor under acceleration. Does anyone out there have any good comments that might help me make up my mind? I really dont want hookers because I like that FLP has emission hook-ups and they come with all the parts needed. This debate has been ongoing, just looking for some more advice before I spent $1250 on headers that might suck. Thanks....
Old 02-10-2003, 08:44 PM

No set of headers is free from problems. I've never heard of FLPs not fitting right, though. Mine hit the floorboard on the driver's side y-pipe, but you can insulate it...the price you pay for ground clearance. I have heard they modified the design recently to prevent this, but you might want to confirm that.

Other than that I love mine.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:30 PM

Thumbs up

My only problem with the FLP's was the banging on the floor board. However I fixed it & have no more bang. They are awsome. But like mentioned no header is trouble free. I strongly recomend the FLP's. They are the finest set up out there...

www.flp2win.com
Old 02-10-2003, 09:48 PM

Thats true about no headers are flawless...however if i had a choice right now, i'd go with the FLP's...

but my edel shorties will have to do
Old 02-10-2003, 10:02 PM

True no headers are free from problems but a few friends of mine with Hookers have had a lot less. I suppose if you got a set of Dynatechs and got a custom Ypipe welded up at an exhaust shop you would be a lot better off. Thats where most peoples problems occour. However that will not fix my rusting collectors.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:45 AM

Hey Man,
If you can wait awhile, Jet Hot is coming out with an emissions type header w/ Y-pipe and cats sometime in the spring or summer. The price should be better as well.
I want the FLPs as well, but I'm going to see what the Jet Hot headers look like.
Good luck on whatever you decide to do

Tim
Old 02-11-2003, 12:45 AM

How did you guys fix the banging y-pipe? And was this the only problem? Ive also heard of the driver side header hitting the steering shaft. And how is the plug access? And what do you guys mean by "no hearder is problem free"? What other types of problems should I expect?
Old 02-11-2003, 01:25 AM

Thumbs up

Plug access is great IF you have the ac removed and all emissions fittiings removed. Curing the banging I did the heater hose trick wrapped in header wrap. Put it between the flange and floor board I drilled my through the floor board so it doesn't move. If you have KBDD sub frames then you'll mount another one between the ypipe and frame w/ header wrap as well. Looks cheesy but it works. I wrapped my initially and then redone it w/ a professional look to not take away from the headers. Smooth as silk. I say they are still worth the money.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:34 AM

1) do a search... these questions are discussed a lot.

Cliff Notes:
- headers, even coated ones, will raise you engine bay temperature.
- some headers (most noteably the Hooker Longtubes) can resonate and set off your knock sensors and retard the timing. Most don't catch this cause it doesn't throw a code, although I've heard of it more than once from those who are **** about scanning their engine and finding those last 10 ponies
- some headers (most noteably the Hooker Longtubes) sacrifice almost 2" ground clearance and get a beating on the occational speed bump if you're lowered.
- some headers will leak exhaust gas cause the head flanges are too thin and will warp and casue the gasket to blow/burn. This used to be a problem with the SLP shorties, but I belive they started making the flanges thicker to avoid this. Havn't really followed it in the past year or so.
- The Edelbrock shorties have a nasty 10-hp hit due to some resonator crap near the collector. It can be gutted, but a big empty "ball" where the funnel-thing was doesn't do much for flow
- ASM's? will support up to 800hp EQUAL to LT's, don't have any complaints I've ever heard of except MAYBE cost, which is ~$100 more than other shorties... but you'll probably make that back on plug-changes, banging noises, and chasing down exhast leaks the others have.

When it's time, I'll be going with ASM's... probably convert it back to the '95 Y-pipe routing for better flow as well. (the dual-cat design is better than the single-cat factory design when manifolds are being used, but once you get into headers and higher hp the straighter-flow becomes a much better design).

What ever you get... GET THEM COATED.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:27 AM

I like my FLPs. I too had it banging the floor and it is an easy fix. However my collectors are rusting too. Other than that they have been great. WOrd of advise though, don't penny pinch and get some good gaskets and bolts. The stuff FLP provides blows. (Literally)