LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Flowmaster? Magnaflow? Custom Y-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 08:49 AM

Question Flowmaster? Magnaflow? Custom Y-Pipe?

Ok, so I went out and got me a magnaflow catback for my 94 Z and Ill admit that I really cant tell a big difference from stock and this muffler in sound resonance in/out of the car unless the car is in a parking garage or close to an upright surface. So I was wondering.. should i ditch the mag muffler for an 80 series Flowmaster or ditch the muffler all together and have a custom y-pipe made to replace the muffler. The car doesnt have any headers or any custom exhaust work except for this catback system right now, but I plan on adding high-flow cats and headers eventually.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:59 AM

Re: Flowmaster? Magnaflow? Custom Y-Pipe?

Originally Posted by Madd Z28
Ok, so I went out and got me a magnaflow catback for my 94 Z and Ill admit that I really cant tell a big difference from stock and this muffler in sound resonance in/out of the car unless the car is in a parking garage or close to an upright surface. So I was wondering.. should i ditch the mag muffler for an 80 series Flowmaster or ditch the muffler all together and have a custom y-pipe made to replace the muffler. The car doesnt have any headers or any custom exhaust work except for this catback system right now, but I plan on adding high-flow cats and headers eventually.
i had a magnaflow on mine when i bought it (i think), it sucked. i love my flowmaster 40 series with 3inch piping thats on it now. the cat delete really wakes it up too. but even before i lost the cat the car had a great rumble to it with the flowmaster. alot of people knock flowmaster but for 8cyl's i dont think you can get much better. bassani is also a good exhaust.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:08 AM

yea the flowmaster was great I used to have the 80 series and i loved the sound. As a matter of fact I got one that I took of the car a week ago, and Im looking to get rid of it.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:13 AM

Magnaflow screwed up my pipes too. unfortunately I didnt have a professional installation... just me and some friends, so I can't get a warranty. The drivers side pipe has a hanger that is welded in the wrong spot and if the muffler is where it should be, the pipe isnt bent at a 90 degree angle, that causes the pipe on the drivers side to be angled out 3 inches than the passenger side. But I guess that can be fixed at Exhaust Pros. I guess it dont matter if I re-use the magnaflow tubing with a flowmaster muffler...
Old 02-02-2006, 11:00 AM

toss some headers on it! I did this after my magnaflow and now whenever i drive my car with some nice fast runs i look like i just got laid. btw, i love the sound of my magnaflow. Its going through a high flow cat to keep the rasp down. still pretty loud.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:45 PM

I have long tubes and it is hard to tell because of the Magnaflow catback. Did you ever think about doing a 30.00 cutout? A cutout on a stock manifold/y-pipe car sounds pretty good and the best part of it all is that its cheap.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:37 AM

I dont really like the idea of a "cut-out". If I was going to bypass the muffler altogether I would just have a custom pipe made that mimics the flow of the muffler, I.E. the "Muffler Eliminator" as seen on ebay. Plus, I really dont know if thats how loud I want it. The state patrol around here is pretty picky and I dont have time to go stopping by their inspection spot for a fix-it ticket. It would be nice though if I was going to use this vehicle as a 50/50 street/track racer. So im down to either adding headers or going with a different muffler. if I mess with the cat, it'll be to replace it with a high-flow. The old cat right now already is giving me some vibration noise like a piece of metal scrapping my rotor whenever im at a stop. Maybe for now I should just gut it out til i get a new one? --Will shorties make a difference than long tube in sound with magnaflow?

Last edited by Madd Z28; 02-03-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 AM

the type of header has minimal affect on sound. it's more the elimination of the cat that changes sound.

as for the "muffler eliminator...its not a bad idea, but the side pipe on it will get almost no flow. the only advantage to that thing is retaining stock dual tips.

but a cutout is better than that thing. cause you can run it open for the power and sound....which will be the same as with the eliminator...but you can cap it if you need to be quiet for cops, inspection, date...etc. and with a cutout you'll also retain the tips. it's honestly a win win situation. and for about $50 installed...not a bad deal.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:23 PM

Ha, ha, that muffler eliminator is a POS. If you're gonna take the time to weld up something like that you need to use mandrel bent pipe at least. What a joke.