LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Finally got it dyno tuned on BRE cam setup!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:51 PM

Finally got it dyno tuned on BRE cam setup!

well, for many who might remember, i've had a lot of problems with my car in the past year and a half. (BTW, thanks to any who gave support/advice to me in that time period). I've got about 90% of the bugs worked out, so i took it to speed inc for a dyno tune session hoping to get the car running even better. Despite being 3.5 hours behind schedule, speed inc was a nice visit and well worth the money. My scanner is currently down so i can't get the dyno graph on the page yet, but i'm working on it.
Getting down to the numbers the car made 363.51 rwhp at around 6200 rpm. 355.88 rwtq at around 4700 rpm. The great part is seeing the powerband and how it all comes togther. It made over 300rwtq at 2500 rpm and climbed to 350 by 3500 rpm. it stays pretty flat from there until 5000 rpm where it starts to decline slowly. It still made around 315rwtq at 6000 rpm and then finished with 285rwtq at 6500rpm. The hp curve was a little more drastic, still making 305rwhp at 4500 rpm then climbing steadily to 5300 rpm where it started making 350rwhp. It then peaked at 363 at 6200 rpm and fell off steadily to and ending 350rwhp. Those numbers are all SAE corrected. The A/F was maintained at around 13:1 the whole run. All runs done with full intake system and through the hooker catback.
I'm pretty happy with the results, although i expected a bit more. I figure once the new motor is fully broken in and synthetic oil is used, it will hit 370rwhp, which was about my target minimum. Still damn good for a cammed bolt on car. the heads are stock with a light bowl job and smoothed intake and exhaust ports. compression is 11:1. Bret Bauer threw the cam together for me and said the cam was good for 350 rwhp on a stock head and compression lt1 with bolt ons. so i'm sure a bump in compression and bowl job helped me get the rest. Huge thanks to bret on the cam. i've been bugging him with emails over the last year and a half and his support has been great. It's great to finally see the results of his work. The cam is very streetable, altough i'm having a slight part throttle issue right now that refused to show it's face on the datascan at speed inc. under very light loads it wants to sputter and such when accelerating in the lower gears. (not cam surge related). Anyways, Thanks to speed inc's Jim for the tuning and a huge thanks to bret bauer on this project! sorry for being so long, i have a lot to say.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned

Re: Finally got it dyno tuned on BRE cam setup!

Good numbers man. Thankfully you got all the bugs worked out.

e-mail me that dyno chart when you get it.

Bret
Old 08-06-2006, 05:08 PM

Did you get any base runs? Curious what kinda of gains every one gets from a good tune.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:51 PM

well, not all the bugs are worked out, but it's 95%. as far as base line runs, there were none. speed inc starts with a base tune and works from there. they don't make any runs on the tune i had when i rolled in. probably for safety reasons and just wanting to do it themselves from scratch anyways. as far as feel, i can feel maybe another 10 peak hp after the dyno tune, butr the mid range is much smoother and more powerful. it actually makes power everywhere now.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 AM

hey bret, you have any ideas on what to do to fix some of my part throttle in closed loop? open loop it runs smooth as silk, but closed loop part throttle is a little shakey at times when accelerating. ? also, anybody have any suggestions on a good true dual setup as far as mufflers that sound great and can squeeze me another 10hp?? i want to get to 380rwhp without touching the engine any further.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:01 PM

ttt
Old 08-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Do an X-pipe with bullet mufflers, you'll get your extra 10 hp for sure.

Congrats on the great numbers!
Old 08-07-2006, 04:57 PM

My car runs open loop only so no closed loop probs for me.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by blackztpi
Anybody have any suggestions on a good true dual setup as far as mufflers that sound great and can squeeze me another 10hp?? I want to get to 380rwhp without touching the engine any further.
Look at Dynomax Ultraflows (SS or welded) or equivalent Magnaflows.

I wouldn't use Flowmaster in spite of a nice sound.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldSStroker
Look at Dynomax Ultraflows (SS or welded) or equivalent Magnaflows.

I wouldn't use Flowmaster in spite of a nice sound.
Do you know how good the spiral flows flow? I know they go out to the outside 4" case inside, so I don't think they can be that bad. They claim they outflow glasspacks, but we all know how accurate advertised claims are.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Glasspacks flow like crap as well, so it's not saying much.

Bret
Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 PM

wouldn't it hurt power and gas mileage running in open loop all the time? if not, i'd be interested....but then again, wouldn't that totally erase everything i just had dyno tuned at speed inc??
Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM

wouldn't it hurt power and gas mileage running in open loop all the time? if not, i'd be interested....but then again, wouldn't that totally erase everything i just had dyno tuned at speed inc??
Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 AM

any ideas?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:10 AM

cmroSS97 how did you defeat closed loop?

Quick Reply: Finally got it dyno tuned on BRE cam setup!