LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:49 PM

Finally!!

I just got my first camaro after saving and begging for my parents to co-sign. Its a 1996 LT1 6-speed with only 17,000 miles on it. I love the car, but its completely stock. I was whondering what the best mods are out there that I can do, both to the engine, and appearance, Id love to hear feedback from people who have more experience with camaro's, thanks!!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:51 PM

Re: Finally!!

Headers and exhaust. Appearence. Meh, IMO, you can't make a fourthgen look good. . Just playing. Definately lower it and get some nice rims.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:01 AM

First off, congrats man youll love the car. You made a heck of a find with that car having so few miles on it. When i got my car i said heck with looks i wanna go faster. Start off with some cheap and easy mods such as a cold air intake and a cat-back exhuast, they are pretty much the best bang for your buck right now. As far as looks, ive always liked the way the chrome z28 badges looked with a nice set of chrome wheels. Keep it safe and enjoy the car.

Dustin
Old 08-06-2004, 09:18 AM

CAI is the best bang for the buck mod. And should be your first. You can get a K&N for about $200
Old 08-06-2004, 09:32 AM

Yeah I'd start with the CAI and cat-back, then tune and 160 thermostat, then look for some simple mods like headers and maybe rockers. I wouldnt tear into the motor too far until its dead, the stock motor is plenty fun for a daily driver with all the bolt-ons.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:32 AM

17,000 miles.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by FIVE 0 KILLER
I just got my first camaro after saving and begging for my parents to co-sign. Its a 1996 LT1 6-speed with only 17,000 miles on it. I love the car, but its completely stock. I was whondering what the best mods are out there that I can do, both to the engine, and appearance, Id love to hear feedback from people who have more experience with camaro's, thanks!!
I agree that CAI and cat-back are a great place to start. TB bypass is another good one too as is the 160* thermostat.

I wouldn't mod it ANY further than that until it's fully paid for though. You have to be careful how far you take the mods while you're still making payments. It's kinda hard to make a payment on a car that doesn't run (if you end up in that situation).

I'm still paying on my car, and I kinda regret modding it while I still owe on it.

Really, the BEST thing you can do is to skip mods at all until it's paid for. Put all the money you would be spending on mods into extra payments and get that bad boy paid for, THEN start modding it with the money you WERE spending on the payments. You'll make a lot happen in a short time after the car is paid off. A little restraint now, can make a WORLD of difference later!
Old 08-06-2004, 10:36 AM

If I were in your shoes, I would be so happy to have the car, I would just enjoy it for a while. Read everything you can find on the internet, but don't start hacking up the car until you understand what to do and what not to do. There is a lot of good and bad information out there.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:38 AM

Yeah I about **** myself when I saw the miles on it, it checked out in carfax too, no accidents or rollback. Im only 19, so paying for it is sort of hard, with insurance and all. Thanks for the input, what is the best exhaust for both HP and sound, I want that real deep throaty sound to it, I was looking at a flowmaster, or a borla. I was thinking about buying two intake kits so I can have enough tube to run the corvette intake, the one that Y's off into two air filters, but I have to look a little further inside the engine bay because those 350's dont leave you much room. Im loving that car though, because all of my friends have import cars, and Im looking at how much money they spent on moding there cars, and I can still blow there doors off, its great. Im thinking about a K&N cold air, if I cant the corvette intake to work. Is anyone on the board selling a hurst short throw shifter, and do they help at all? Thanks again guys.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:18 AM

Old 08-06-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by FIVE 0 KILLER
I was thinking about buying two intake kits so I can have enough tube to run the corvette intake, the one that Y's off into two air filters, but I have to look a little further inside the engine bay because those 350's dont leave you much room.
no they dont leave you much room at all, in fact there is a battery where the other tube should go, so unless you plan on relocating that its kind of important.

if it were me id listen to shoebox, enjoy it for a while, the mods will come.

learn to drive it first, learn to REALLY drive it. then take it to the track stock and get a baseline so you know what each mods add. well thats my opinion but its your car, whatever you do have fun and be safe.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:42 PM

I am not sure of the cost for these cars as I am still new to them myself but the best bang for the buck that I ever had with my Mustangs was ALWAYS gears. I could get a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears put in my car for no more than $400. Usually less than that. Again, I am unsure about this with GM cars but it is worth it to change the gears.

I guess that brings up a few questions for me. What are a good set of gears to put in these cars? I mean brand not ratio as I know ratios up and down and have had a Viper 6 speed with different gears in my last mustang. I always used FRPP for my gears but now I am at a loss with switching over to a different rear end.

Do I have to get the car recalibrated for the new gears? All I have ever done was add the different speedo gears in the mustangs.

God I am a newbie to these cars.

Richie
Old 08-06-2004, 01:34 PM

There are a few good brands... Richmond, Motive and Strange. I run Strange gears in my car and couldn't be happier. I had bad luck with a set of Motives and moved to the Strange, but that's not to say that Motives aren't good.

As for recalibration, yes, you have to get the car calibrated for it.

Depending on the gearset your car has now, you might have to get a special thicker ring, or a new carrier to move up in gears (numerically that is). The cars with 2.73 gears need either the special ring gear or a new "3-series" carrier. To tell if you have the 2-series unit just look at the shifter plate if you have an A4. If you cannot shift to 1, then you likely have the 2-series unit.