LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

few simple questions regarding an optispark installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:33 AM

few simple questions regarding an optispark installation

im changing the opti on my 94 Caprice wagon. it is vented like the 95-97 f-bodies so it has the cam-pin driven opti, not the splin style like the 93-94 f-bodies. anyways, here are my main questions...

1. there is no way to screw up the timing with my opti, considering the timing chain, cam and everything is already set up right, all i have to do is line up the cam pin with the slot on the opti and make sure it goes on correctly and sits flush, then just bolt it to the timing cover, correct?

2. i can start the motor to test the new opti without the waterpump correct? anything i should watch out for while doing this (aside from not running the engine too long)

3. the balancer/pulley simply unbolts and then can be tapped off or worked off with a little persuasion correct? i don't necessarily need a harmonic balancer puller or anything correct?

i did all this stuff on my old T/A when i did my cam swap, although that was a few years ago now so im just making sure i'm covering all the bases here.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM

Correct, you cant mess up the timing. Just make sure you dont force it on and that it is all the way on. I like to take the cap off and turn the rotor while placing the opti on the car. I makes it alot easier to get it to line up that way.

I had to use a puller to get my balancer off, go rent one from the auto parts store.

If you test start the engine with the pump off, just make sure you cover the top of the opti incase and coolant comes out of the block from were the pump goes.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 AM

If coolant starts comming out of the block your running the engine too long. It should be appearant that the opti it working and indexed right. 97formula is right, just dont force the drive pin in. Look at where the plines are and the key and get them as close as you can before you try to stab it. Or if you have a e3 inverted torx bit you can pull the opti cap off and simply spin the rotor.

I could not for the life of me get the balancer off of the hub so I had to use a puller and pull the ballancer/ hub off together.

****dont forget to replace the seals in the timing cover

****dont forget to install the waterpump drive shaft when your puttin things back together.

**** good idea to mark the spark plug wires before your pull them off, and make sure
they go back on with "two clicks".