LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fbody motorsports in charlotte...bad business

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 12:13 PM

Fbody motorsports in charlotte...bad business

Well i posted a post a few days ago about my sitiation i took my car to Fbody motorsports in charlotte to get an oil leak fixed before i sold the car...The origianl estimate was 250 bucks not bad after taking a look at it they had told me that they would have to cradle the motor and labor would be 1200 bucks plus parts... I was hesitate to do this but i had a buyer for the car and wanted it fixed right...so i agreed.... They had the car for a full seven days... When i went to pick the car up they were bleeding the coolant when i got there they had overheated the car to 260 degrees and had a big fan on it when i first seen my baby....After that the mechanic took it for a drive to make sure everything was okay i noticed a chirping sound right away i brought this to the attention of the mechanic and the owner of the shop they both said it was the pushrods rubbing on the guideplates. After the test drive it was still leaking oil just like before they told me they would fix it but to go ahead and take it home drive it over the weekend to see how bad it was leaking ....well took it home put her up for the night next day started her up got a mile from the house lost oil pressure...took it to another shop and mechanics.. spun rod bearing.....which they said was caused from overheating my car most likely....now im out 1600 and my motor is junk....emailed them just waitng to hear from them....car still leaks oil bad to......
Old 07-17-2005, 12:47 PM

Re: Fbody motorsports in charlotte...bad business

wow keep us updated, sorry to hear!
Old 07-17-2005, 01:58 PM

Contact your lawyer. I have heard numerous BAD things about them for the last year and would never deal with them. This is not your problem, and you got raped in the ***. You need to take some recourse.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:22 PM

This is bad.

I would absolutely get a lawyer if you can not get what you want out of them in a timely manor on your on. File complaint with the better bussiness guys too.

And thanks for letting us all know to stay away from here------>http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/

Also Did a little Searching @ www.charlotte.bbb.org which lead to:
General Information

Principal: Mr. Roy, Manager
Phone Number: (704) 494-0005
Membership Status: This company is not a member.
Type-of-Business Classification: Auto Parts & Supplies-Used & Rebuilt

The Bureau has requested basic information from this company but has not received a response. As a result, the Bureau may not have current information about the company

The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.

Customer Experience

The Bureau has processed customer complaints on this company in its three-year reporting period. One complaint is unresolved.

The company's size, volume of business, and number of transactions may have a bearing on the number of complaints received by the BBB. The complaints filed against a company may not be as important as the type of complaints, and how the company handled them. The BBB generally does not pass judgment on the validity of complaints filed.

The following data concerns complaints processed by the BBB since the firm's file was opened or over the last 36 months, whichever is less.

Closed Complaints

Number of complaints processed by the BBB in the last 36 months: 2
Number of complaints processed by the BBB in the last 12 months: 2

Complaints Concerning

Refund Promised - (2)
Number in the last 12 months (2)
Outcome of all complaints -
Resolved (1)
Unresolved (1)

Additional Information

Additional Addresses:
11500 Statesville Rd. , Charlotte, NC 28216

Additional Phone Numbers:
704-398-8855

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report as of 07/17/2005
Copyright© 2005 Better Business Bureau®, Inc.

As a matter of policy, the Better Business Bureau does not endorse any product, service or company. BBB reports generally cover a three-year reporting period, and are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information contained herein is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy. Reports are subject to change at any time.

The Better Business Bureau reports on members and non-members. Membership in the BBB is voluntary, and members must meet and maintain BBB standards.

Last edited by matt65; 07-17-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:30 PM

Hit up Jeff Creech at Caroliina Auto Masters www.carolinaautomasters.com if you need good work done to your car at reasonable prices. Sorry to hear about your situation.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Flamed Z
Well i posted a post a few days ago about my sitiation i took my car to Fbody motorsports in charlotte to get an oil leak fixed before i sold the car...The origianl estimate was 250 bucks not bad after taking a look at it they had told me that they would have to cradle the motor and labor would be 1200 bucks plus parts... I was hesitate to do this but i had a buyer for the car and wanted it fixed right...so i agreed.... They had the car for a full seven days... When i went to pick the car up they were bleeding the coolant when i got there they had overheated the car to 260 degrees and had a big fan on it when i first seen my baby....After that the mechanic took it for a drive to make sure everything was okay i noticed a chirping sound right away i brought this to the attention of the mechanic and the owner of the shop they both said it was the pushrods rubbing on the guideplates. After the test drive it was still leaking oil just like before they told me they would fix it but to go ahead and take it home drive it over the weekend to see how bad it was leaking ....well took it home put her up for the night next day started her up got a mile from the house lost oil pressure...took it to another shop and mechanics.. spun rod bearing.....which they said was caused from overheating my car most likely....now im out 1600 and my motor is junk....emailed them just waitng to hear from them....car still leaks oil bad to......
Interesting.

I'd like to say that I like the dime you had jammed into the valve cover, that's nice. And whoever did the welding/RTV'ing to stop up the emissions tubes on the headers did a great job too.

I don't work for f-body nor am I best friends with anyone there, but they are an honest shop and I sure hate to see people pin things on them when it's their own fault. I saw that engine laying on the table and man what a mess it was, before they even touched it...

People are always out to make a dollar - I wouldn't be surprised if you had dropped that car off there just so you could pin the blame on someone else for messing it up.

Oh - it's also great to see people jumping on the bandwagon with pitchforks and torches who have never personally dealt with said shop.

For what it's worth I had a set of SFC's installed there (don't have a big enough welder to do it myself) and was incredibly pleased with the work and the experience I had there.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Hit up Jeff Creech at Caroliina Auto Masters www.carolinaautomasters.com if you need good work done to your car at reasonable prices. Sorry to hear about your situation.
HAHA great suggestion...I take it you don't read local NC boards much and see what this guys been doing to other people...

Bottom line people...do the work yourself
Old 07-17-2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by keliente

Oh - it's also great to see people jumping on the bandwagon with pitchforks and torches who have never personally dealt with said shop.
I am glad you had your SFC's welded in right...thats not too hard to mess up. lol. Sorry but I have tried dealing with the turds that work there in the past. I used to have a heavily built 3rd gen, and tried to purchase some stuff from them. They were absolutely rude, and acted like the customer's were wasting there time, and we did not matter. SO as far as I am concerned their customer service sucks. I also did some more research on some boards and this is not uncommon to say the least. I think they have forgotten in the long run who pays there salary..and there attitudes will not make for return customers. How do you know this post starter isn't an honorable person, that truly got screwed...? You don't. In any event I would have contacted a lawyer when i got charged 1600 for an oil leak, let alone the fact his engine is shot. I am not taking sides, just voicing my opinion about MY experiences with Fbodymotorsports. It seems that it was admitted that they overheated the engine anyways...so it could be.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 89385formula
I am glad you had your SFC's welded in right...thats not too hard to mess up. lol. Sorry but I have tried dealing with the turds that work there in the past. I used to have a heavily built 3rd gen, and tried to purchase some stuff from them. They were absolutely rude, and acted like the customer's were wasting there time, and we did not matter. SO as far as I am concerned their customer service sucks. I also did some more research on some boards and this is not uncommon to say the least. I think they have forgotten in the long run who pays there salary..and there attitudes will not make for return customers. How do you know this post starter isn't an honorable person, that truly got screwed...? You don't. In any event I would have contacted a lawyer when i got charged 1600 for an oil leak, let alone the fact his engine is shot. I am not taking sides, just voicing my opinion about MY experiences with Fbodymotorsports. It seems that it was admitted that they overheated the engine anyways...so it could be.
You're absolutely right, I don't know whether this guy is honorable or not. I am just going by what I saw lying in the shop...the whole car looked like it was put together in a really half-*** manner before f-body had ever laid a hand on it. It was probably due to fall apart in a week or two whether anyone had worked on it or not!

I just hear about this kind of stuff all the time, where people try to blame their problems on others...it even happens to me at work! I'm a tech at a dealership and all the time people invent problems after we finish cars, or insist that one thing MUST have caused another and it's all our fault...

What's worse is people rushing to get the bad word out about a shop...He doesn't even give f-body a chance to respond, and is already chewing them out. I guess I'm different - I always give a company a chance to at least fix the problem before I go around badmouthing them.

As far as customer service goes (being treated well etc), it's a hit or miss thing no matter what shop you're at I guess. I'm just saying that my personal experiences with them have been great, and that there are far more people pleased with than disapointed with work/parts from there.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting.

I'd like to say that I like the dime you had jammed into the valve cover, that's nice. And whoever did the welding/RTV'ing to stop up the emissions tubes on the headers did a great job too.

I don't work for f-body nor am I best friends with anyone there, but they are an honest shop and I sure hate to see people pin things on them when it's their own fault. I saw that engine laying on the table and man what a mess it was, before they even touched it...

People are always out to make a dollar - I wouldn't be surprised if you had dropped that car off there just so you could pin the blame on someone else for messing it up.

For what it's worth I had a set of SFC's installed there (don't have a big enough welder to do it myself) and was incredibly pleased with the work and the experience I had there.

Yeah, that's pretty much how dumbass shops defend themselves... even if it is a customer... who some how knows about your engine ??? they try to blame unrelated criteria to an unrelated problem you had with them. Good luck bro,get a good lawyer.. don't waste your time with the BBB they're a joke. Shoppes that over charge and don't do good work don't belong in business. I would get a written statement from the mechanic that rechecked your car, and document his findings. You'll need that in court that's what your argument is based on.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:39 PM

Oh - it's also great to see people jumping on the bandwagon with pitchforks and torches
Old 07-17-2005, 03:41 PM

Just my opinion but I don't think you can necesarily say that overheating caused the spun rod bearing. Hell, I overheated my car numerous times and even ran it on a mix of oil/coolant/water (not intentionally) for almost a thousand miles and it didn't spin a bearing. The block cracked before I spun a bearing

Anyway, it's always easier to sell a car AS IS than to deal with this stuff.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:02 PM

$1600 for an oil pan gasket is crazy. Hell you can get a cam installed for about half that price which includes at least partially dropping the pan. No need to drop the motor to install the pan gasket. Thats crazy.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Flamed Z
Well, you're not saying what they want to do to fix the problem. Or at least you have not stated they have refused to fix the problem. Wait and see what they say.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:15 PM

HAHA great suggestion...I take it you don't read local NC boards much and see what this guys been doing to other people...

Bottom line people...do the work yourself
Yes, but I read it without being influenced by a lot of crap spewing from folks who are as guilty of doing the things they blame Jeff for doing. There's Jay's side, Jeff's side and the buyer's side...the truth is likely somewhere in the middle of all that. The bottom line - no contract for the engine existed and there was no obligation for purchase. With any shop, you're going to find a fair number (especially if they have done a lot of work) of folks dissatisfied with something (percieved price, attitude, quality of work, etc.) - it just goes without saying and it happens with every business. It is too bad the thing with the LS1 engine went down like it did...flaming the hell out of CAM was unnecessary and I don't blame Jeff one bit for keeping out of the mess on the boards.

Regardless of what Jeff said or didn't say doesn't change his quality of work, his integrity in dealing with me, or my confidence in recommending him to others.

Quick Reply: Fbody motorsports in charlotte...bad business